Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199545 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2750 on: March 18, 2008, 07:17:14 pm »
It's Not What You Know….

It was a long ride home with nothing but his thoughts for company and he wished there was a damn "off-switch" for his brain 'cause he thought he'd go insane from the voices swirling in an endless loop.

"…What I don't know, all them things I don't know…."

"…so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest…"

He thought of something Old Elwood at the Hi-Top Ranch used to say:  "Sometimes the problem is we don't know what we don't know." 

And sometimes there were things you didn't want to know.  Or knew, but wished you didn't.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Ennis - so throughly caught in his "own loop" - the one that his dad (that "fine roper") slung around him, that hardly ever loosed up.
Lovely, sad, dramatization of his turmoil.
Thanks, Marie. :)

Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2751 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:45 pm »
Ennis - so throughly caught in his "own loop" - the one that his dad (that "fine roper") slung around him, that hardly ever loosed up.

Thank you, Fern.  I chose the word "loop" purposefully - and, as always, you zeroed right in on it!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2752 on: March 20, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
Stud Ducks

"Look at you, boy, must be three inches taller than last week!"  L.D. slapped Bobby on the back, grinning. "Takin' after Grandad!"

"He's going through a growth spurt, Daddy – outgrew all his clothes."  Lureen smiled as L.D. kissed her cheek.

Jack sat back quietly, looking at L.D. in his fancy clothes and custom-made boots, laughing as he waved his expensive cigar; and he tried to tune out the usual blather, his thoughts turning to his own father, always grim and humorless in his worn overalls and work shirts.

He couldn't imagine two men who were more different – or more alike.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2753 on: March 24, 2008, 01:26:28 pm »
Maybe these Monday prompts will inspire some drabblers!  :)

• accept
  • decline
  • invite

Marie

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Time
« Reply #2754 on: March 25, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
For a long time, he'd invite me to stay, to share the sweet life with him.  I'd always decline, told him two guys just didn't do that, too afraid of tire irons.  That wasn't the half of it.  I was too afraid of myself, letting go, letting him in all the way, all the time.   Done him wrong, all these years, last trip made that clear.  It's time now.  He hasn't asked for some time, don't think he will again after what I said last time. So I'm gonna invite him next time, come November. Hope he'll accept this time.

[100 words]

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2755 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:17 pm »
For a long time, he'd invite me to stay, to share the sweet life with him.  I'd always decline, told him two guys just didn't do that, too afraid of tire irons.  That wasn't the half of it.  I was too afraid of myself, letting go, letting him in all the way, all the time.   Done him wrong, all these years, last trip made that clear.  It's time now.  He hasn't asked for some time, don't think he will again after what I said last time. So I'm gonna invite him next time, come November. Hope he'll accept this time.

[100 words]

Ouch
 :'(

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2756 on: March 25, 2008, 04:07:33 pm »
Ouch
 :'(

Make that a Double Ouch. 

Well done, cwby. 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2757 on: March 25, 2008, 04:08:49 pm »
I Wish

Lightning Flat, Wyoming
March 25, 1952

"I wish ….."

"I wish ….."

Jack's mama smiled wearily as she listened to Jack's daily litany.  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Jack frowned and she spoke before he could ask. 

"It's an old nursery rhyme, honey.  It means that if wishing could make things happen, we'd all have everything we ever wanted.  Sometimes we can't get what we want and we have to accept that and just let be. Understand?"

He nodded and she pulled him in for a quick hug, wondering if he'd ever really understand, and making her own wish that he'd never need to. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2758 on: March 26, 2008, 03:05:50 pm »
Some late Wednesay prompts!

• attach
  • conversation
  • strength

Marie

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Conversation
« Reply #2759 on: March 26, 2008, 08:03:58 pm »

After what they'd just gone through, Jack couldn't carry on a coherent conversation, didn't have the strength to attach one word to another.  But mustering his all, he looked into Ennis' eyes, and croaked out, "Damn, Ennis, you've gone and nearly done me in this time! I'm exhausted. After 25 years, how can every time we do this still be like the first time? Not that I'm complaining."  He wrapped his left arm tighter around a panting naked Ennis who was snuggling against him in their bed, and who responded in a hoarse whisper, "Shut up and kiss me, Twist." 

[word count: 100]