Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183070 times)

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2950 on: October 23, 2008, 05:54:34 pm »
This is in response to the prompts: anonymous, unanimous, and magnanimous.

She thought that she had been damn magnanimous in inviting him to Thanksgiving dinner. Of course she’d done it for the girls, who might argue about other things but were unanimous in loving their father and wanting to see him. She resented it sometimes, but couldn’t really blame them. As neglectful as he could be of them, he always showed them that he loved them. But not her. He’d stopped loving her, probably never loved her. Just being around him made her feel slightly anonymous, like she was fading into the wallpaper. Guess that’s why she’d lashed out at him, thrown Jack Nasty in his face. He’d had to pay attention to her then.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:56:35 pm by August7th »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2951 on: October 29, 2008, 02:58:39 pm »
The banging door was the last he had heard from his son, three days ago. Bobby had been suspicious ever since Ennis and he had moved to the ranch. At his last visit, it was time to lay all cards on the table when Bobby had asked him right away if they were gay.
His boy was 23 now, not even a boy anymore. Ennis had thrown a fit, but what else could he have said than yes?

The ringing of the phone interrupted his glum thoughts. It was Bobby.

~~~~~
90 words

Nice, hopeful visit to the au world, Chrissi!  (And I like banging door better than just a door opening  :) )

This is in response to the prompts: anonymous, unanimous, and magnanimous.

She thought that she had been damn magnanimous in inviting him to Thanksgiving dinner. Of course she’d done it for the girls, who might argue about other things but were unanimous in loving their father and wanting to see him. She resented it sometimes, but couldn’t really blame them. As neglectful as he could be of them, he always showed them that he loved them. But not her. He’d stopped loving her, probably never loved her. Just being around him made her feel slightly anonymous, like she was fading into the wallpaper. Guess that’s why she’d lashed out at him, thrown Jack Nasty in his face. He’d had to pay attention to her then.

Terrific use of the prompts, August - and very insightful!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2952 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:34 pm »
Some late October prompts:

• boo
  • crackling
  • cider

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #2953 on: November 03, 2008, 03:50:11 am »

Trick or Treat

Thursday, October 31, 1985
7:03 p.m.

“Boo!”

“Fuuuck!  Jack!  Dammit!  Scared the shit outa me!  What the fuck you doin’ back there!” 

“Waitin’ on the trick-or-treaters.”  Jack chuckled, taking another swig of his warm cider

Ennis stomped across the porch, autumn leaves crackling beneath his angry boots.  “Aint we s’posed to be givin’ ‘em candy or somethin’?”   

“Yep, doin’ that too.”  Jack motioned to the bowl of treats by his side.   

“Can I scare the next one that comes by?”  Ennis hunkered down next to Jack.

“Sure.  You’re scary enough without even tryin.’ ” 

“Keep that up, you aint gonna get no treat tonight.” 

Jack snorted.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

100 Words

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:34:18 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2954 on: November 03, 2008, 01:49:29 pm »

Trick or Treat

Thursday, October 31, 1985
7:03 p.m.

“Boo!”

“Fuuuck!  Jack!  Dammit!  Scared the shit outa me!  What the fuck you doin’ back there!” 

“Waitin’ on the trick-or-treaters.”  Jack chuckled, taking another swig of his warm cider

Ennis stomped across the porch, autumn leaves crackling beneath his angry boots.  “Aint we s’posed to be givin’ ‘em candy or somethin’?”   

“Yep, doin’ that too.”  Jack motioned to the bowl of treats by his side.   

“Can I scare the next one who comes by?”  Ennis hunkered down next to Jack.

“Sure.  You’re scary enough without even tryin.’ ” 

“Keep that up, you aint gonna get no treat tonight.” 

Jack snorted.   

100 Words

Cristine!!!!! :D  I'm so happy to see you! These two little naughty boys just made my day!  :laugh:  Thanks! (and I took special note that it was exactly 7:03 p.m  - hee hee!)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2955 on: November 07, 2008, 01:51:21 pm »
Okay, let's see what these prompts can inspire  :)

• winding down
  • heating up
  • loose ends

Marie

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #2956 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:08 pm »
Cristine!!!!! :D  I'm so happy to see you! These two little naughty boys just made my day!  :laugh:  Thanks! (and I took special note that it was exactly 7:03 p.m  - hee hee!)

Marie

Marie!!!  Good to see you too.   It was nice to pop in here and see that you still have things going.    :)   

And I knew you'd notice the time in my drabble.   ;)   hehehe   
No matter how many months pass, some things still remain the same whenever I write about our guys.    ;)

Hugs,

C* 
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #2957 on: November 09, 2008, 06:56:30 pm »
Awareness

Thursday, November 7, 1985
4:53 p.m.

Jack always felt at loose ends this time of year, something about November that made his blood run a bit colder, and it wasn’t from the wind whipping through his worn coat. 

No, there was something about the time of year that caused a winding down to his heartbeat, a slowing, as if his fate could have been tragically different if he’d lingered much longer in the wrong place.   

So linger he didn’t, pulling his coat tighter, and finishing the trek back to the house to find the only person who could administer the heating up he so thoroughly needed.   

100 Words

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:43:15 pm by haunted_by_bbm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2958 on: November 10, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »
He tied the loose ends of the strings that held the package together. An odd package it was, and precious all the same: a small box wrapped in pale blue denim.

The meadow was the same.  If he listened quietly he could the sounds of two boys playing on the long incline to the top of the crest in the meadow.  The stream was the same.  If he closed his eyes he could see the shape of a man washing his clothes in the cool, running waters.  The bridge was the same, and it was here he  needed to be.

He  knelt on the bridge and reached down with the package in his hands.  He gently let it fall into the water.  The current carried it quickly out of sight.  He walked back to the meadow to listen for the boys again.

Scott, I love the image of the bridge.  And look at the time you posted this - 10 minutes after the prompts! It's amazing that you came up with something so profound and beautiful so quickly! Thanks.

Awareness

Thursday, November 7, 1985
4:53 p.m.

Jack always felt at loose ends this time of year, something about November that made his blood run a bit colder, and it wasn’t from the wind whipping through his worn coat. 

No, there was something about the time of year that caused a winding down to his heartbeat, a slowing, as if his fate could have been tragically different if he’d lingered much longer in the wrong place.   

So linger he didn’t, pulling his coat tighter, and finishing the trek back to the house to find the only person who could administer the heating up he so thoroughly needed.   

100 Words

You know, I always feel at loose ends this time of year, too - but this made me feel so good!  J&E are both in the right place and all is right with the world.  Great to see you spinning your magic, C!  :)

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2959 on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:35 pm »
Loose Ends

One thing about mama, she don't put things off and she hates loose ends. Tie 'em up, piece 'em together, get it over with, move on.  So it didn't surprise me when she started packing up Daddy's things so soon, biting her lip and wiping away tears, but not stopping till she was done.

I guess I'm more like Daddy.  I'm not real organized and I don't mind loose ends.  They give me some hope that things can always change.  And that's how I want to remember him -- the way he looked when he still had hope in his eyes.

~~~~~~~
100 Words