Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183380 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #3040 on: May 04, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »
A Long Road

“It’s yer turn a drive,”  Jack complained. 

“This wuz your idea, Dumbass.  I think you should drive the whole way,” said Ennis.

“The whole way?  It’s more’n two thousand miles!”

“That’s if yer shitbox truck even makes it.”

“I’m hungry.  Stoppin’ at McDonald’s, then yer turn a drive.”

“Ya know, Jack, they got mountains in New Hampshire, jus’ like in Wyoming.”

“That so?”

“They call ‘em the White Mountains.”

“Do ya think it’s warm enough?”

“I hear it wuz ninety degrees there jus’ yesterday.”

“That so?”

“You want me a drive?”

“Maybe we’ll get there after it passes the House.”

http://www.wmur.com/politics/19324169/detail.html

Aww, I wish!  Great dialogue  :)  Thanks, Gwyllion.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3041 on: May 04, 2009, 04:03:19 pm »
A Bad Fit

As they walked into the house after his baseball practice, Bobby was complaining again about the team, the coach, even the uniforms. Only half listening, Jack murmured something about not being that bad and that he'd get used to it, but as he looked around at the house that had never felt like a home and at his wife as she concentrated on her paperwork, he felt like he'd been trying to fit into a uniform that was made for someone else and playing for the wrong team for years.  And he knew he would never get used to it.

~~~~~~~~
100 Years
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3042 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:13 pm »
A Bad Fit

As they walked into the house after his baseball practice, Bobby was complaining again about the team, the coach, even the uniforms. Only half listening, Jack murmured something about not being that bad and that he'd get used to it, but as he looked around at the house that had never felt like a home and at his wife as she concentrated on her paperwork, he felt like he'd been trying to fit into a uniform that was made for someone else and playing for the wrong team for years.  And he knew he would never get used to it.

~~~~~~~~
100 Years

Thanks, I love your drabbles.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #3043 on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:03 pm »
A Bad Fit

~~~~~~~~
100 Years

Another perfect drabble!  Poor Jack!  :'(

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3044 on: May 04, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »
A Bad Fit

~~~~~~~~
100 Years

Beautiful as always, Marie. Thank you!

100 Years? Must have felt like that to him, every day.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3045 on: May 04, 2009, 09:41:10 pm »
Aaaah, leave it to you, mariez, to turn some lame baseball prompts into something poignant!  Just lovely, a bad fit indeed.  And we know what team our dear Jack is playing on!

We need more prompts!  Help, the muses are at work!
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3046 on: May 05, 2009, 01:38:42 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words, friends!  :)

100 Years? Must have felt like that to him, every day.

Fern, I'll tell you a secret...when I first typed the "Years" instead of "Words"  it was a typo - but when I saw what I'd done I realized that maybe my subconscious was telling me something and I decided to leave it.  "Never enough" time with Ennis, and a never-ending amount of time without him. 

More prompts?  Here ya go!   :)

• chicken cutlets
  • plumbers
  • dictionary

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Great Chocolate Fanfic Challenge
« Reply #3047 on: May 07, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »
Mornin', Everyone.

Well, yes, I am alive and well and busy as all get out!  Have continued to read [lurk!] but not post, for several months now.  Way to keep things going; I enjoy the stories.

Thought you might like to read the fanfic posted in Live Journal, using the theme "chocolate".  Submittals are all in, and now it's voting time until Sunday night.  You have to be a member of LJ to vote, but anyone can read the stories submitted.  the link to the Brokeback Drabble website with all the stories and the poll is here:

http://community.livejournal.com/bmm_drabbles/

There are 36 great stories divided by drabbles, short fiction [less than 1000 words], and long fiction [1000 words or more].  Hope you take the time to read, and to vote if you're an LJ member like me.  And, if you like it, pass the word around. 

I hope to start posting again in June, "hope" being the operative word, since it springs eternal... which is what kept Jack coming back all those years... that and love, the unspoken "thing" between them...

Thanks again. 

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3048 on: May 07, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »
Priorities

“Sonofabitch!” Jack slammed the pan down, smoke rising from the inedible mess.

“Burn dinner again?” asked Ennis, hearing Jack utter a few more swears from the urban dictionary

“Oven’s busted.  Was supposed to be chicken cutlets, but now it looks like campfire coals.”  He opened the door, and fiddled with the heating element. 

“Think ya can fix it?” asked Ennis, admiring the plumber’s crack that appeared when Jack bent over. 

“Doubt it.  Bad enough I can’t cook worth a damn.”

Ennis stroked Jack’s lower back.  “We can head to Sears when we’re done in bed.”

“Who said anything about…  …oh!”

100 Words

And I agree with you cwby30!  Run, don't walk, over to the Chocolate Challenge voting!  I've already casted my votes and tell you what, it's real hard to pick just one in each category!
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3049 on: May 14, 2009, 01:10:10 pm »
Nice to see you cwby!  Yes, there was some great reading in the Chocolate Challenge.   :)

Priorities

“Sonofabitch!” Jack slammed the pan down, smoke rising from the inedible mess.

“Burn dinner again?” asked Ennis, hearing Jack utter a few more swears from the urban dictionary

“Oven’s busted.  Was supposed to be chicken cutlets, but now it looks like campfire coals.”  He opened the door, and fiddled with the heating element. 

“Think ya can fix it?” asked Ennis, admiring the plumber’s crack that appeared when Jack bent over. 

“Doubt it.  Bad enough I can’t cook worth a damn.”

Ennis stroked Jack’s lower back.  “We can head to Sears when we’re done in bed.”

“Who said anything about…  …oh!”

100 Words

And I agree with you cwby30!  Run, don't walk, over to the Chocolate Challenge voting!  I've already casted my votes and tell you what, it's real hard to pick just one in each category!

:laugh:  I think your use of the "plumber" prompt is one of my favorites ever!  Thanks, Gwyllion.