Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183087 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2007, 02:58:29 pm »
It's for the Birds

Jack sat beside the woodstove, warming his hands. No mittens, no gloves. But they'd had a good time, Ennis 'n him. Never though Ennis would be up fer a snowball fight. Jack smiled. Ennis had acted like a damn kid again. Never forget the way he'd tackled Jack, both landin' face first down in the snow then rollin' around like it was a field a daisies instead wet snow.

"What are ya doin' in there Ennis? Ain't ya cold?"

"Be right there. Gettin' ya something."

like this el

"Now ya got me down right curious." Jack scooted around, lookin’ ta see what Ennis was up to in the kitchen.

"Hold yer horses Rodeo. I'm comin'."

"I’m comin’-- now them are words I like ta hear. Better git in here soon. I need warmin' up better then this fire is a'doin'."

Jack looked up and there Ennis stood with a shit eatin' grin on his face, hangin' onto this thing danglin' from a string.

"What the hell is that?" Jack asked.

"Ya said ya liked watchin' the birds from the window. Made this fer you. Junior showed me how. Ya take an apple, spread peanut butter on it then roll it in bird seed."

"Yer becomin’ a regular walkin' ‘Hints from Heloise’ ain't ya Ennis!"

"Shut up, er I'll make you eat this instead of the birds."

"Other things I'd rather be eatin' right now."

Jack took the gift out of Ennis’ hand.

“It’s right nice Ennis. Thank ya.” Jack lead Ennis up to the woodstove. “Now, come here and git me warm.”

259 words

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2007, 03:23:38 pm »
    Jack Twist is sitting by the woodstove, right up near, and as close as a person can get.!  Still he
cant get warm.  Ennis told him one of the reasons he got this cabin, was because he was always
complainin about the cold... Dam i just cant seem to get warm any more no matter what i do.
    Jack sits and wonders where did Ennis get off to anyway?  He must be out feeding the horses.
He always was the one that got up so early..Jack preferring to sleep in every chance he got..
Being in bed was also a way of staying covered and helped him  feel warmer.   Jack moved even
closer to the fire..Damn  if i get any closer ill be sitting on the dam thang.  About that time he looks
in the corner of the room, and sees a box of extra woolen clothes, must've been left by  Roes
family.  Consideres, and decides to get the red pair of mittens laying there, and put them on his freezing hands.. dont care if  I look like adang girl..Ennis is sure to give him hell when he gets in here..
Jack sits and waits what seems forever, and wonders "what in hell" " i forgot !!"I forgot, im dead."
213 words
213 w"

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2007, 04:22:08 pm »

"Yer becomin’ a regular walkin' ‘Hints from Heloise’ ain't ya Ennis!"

"Shut up, er I'll make you eat this instead of the birds."

"Other things I'd rather be eatin' right now."

Jack took the gift out of Ennis’ hand.

“It’s right nice Ennis. Thank ya.” Jack lead Ennis up to the woodstove. “Now, come here and git me warm.”

259 words

Nice use of the prompts!  "Hints from Heloise" - good one, Jack!   :laugh:

Jack sits and waits what seems forever, and wonders "what in hell" " i forgot !!"I forgot, im dead."
213 words
213 w"

GASP!!!  Oh, Janice - you're good at this!  More, please.

Thanks, all.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:40 am »
Good morning!

Thanks to Chrissi (Penthesilea) for today's prompts!

• eight
  • roof
  • glove compartment

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

injest

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:41 am »
    Jack Twist is sitting by the woodstove, right up near, and as close as a person can get.!  Still he
cant get warm.  Ennis told him one of the reasons he got this cabin, was because he was always
complainin about the cold... Dam i just cant seem to get warm any more no matter what i do.
    Jack sits and wonders where did Ennis get off to anyway?  He must be out feeding the horses.
He always was the one that got up so early..Jack preferring to sleep in every chance he got..
Being in bed was also a way of staying covered and helped him  feel warmer.   Jack moved even
closer to the fire..Damn  if i get any closer ill be sitting on the dam thang.  About that time he looks
in the corner of the room, and sees a box of extra woolen clothes, must've been left by  Roes
family.  Consideres, and decides to get the red pair of mittens laying there, and put them on his freezing hands.. dont care if  I look like adang girl..Ennis is sure to give him hell when he gets in here..
213 words
213 w"

Dang Janice....ya got me...didn't see that end coming...

(Love this thread...easy to read, clever, SHORT stories....GREAT IDEA for a thread, Leslie)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:54 am »
Dang Janice....ya got me...didn't see that end coming...

(Love this thread...easy to read, clever, SHORT stories....GREAT IDEA for a thread, Leslie)

Thank you, Jess. I am really glad this thread has taken off and is being so well received, by writers (old and new) and readers alike.

Now, back to thinking on today's prompts...hmmm.....

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2007, 12:51:12 pm »
Eight Minutes

The glove compartment fell open. There was his card. One thumb fumbled as he turned it over, the other thumb trembled as he wiped a tear.

He didn’t think. Just got out of the truck and went to the phone booth. Shut the door and stood, jaw tightenin'. Dialed the numbers. Waited--not knowin’ for what or for why. He looked out the dirty windows at nothin’ in particular as the phone line hummed a lonely song.

Jack’s wife answered.

Eight minutes later, Ennis sat inside his truck.

A flash of lightening and clap of thunder sounded as the sky opened, pounding the windshield like tomorrow and today would be washed away.

Ennis laid his head on the steering wheel.

Yesterday was all Ennis had.

125 words
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2007, 01:22:25 pm »
Good morning!

Thanks to Chrissi (Penthesilea) for today's prompts!

• eight
  • roof
  • glove compartment

Leslie
         Well its eight o cloct in the evening, and Ennis has to be up early in

the morning.  The road back from Brokeback is wet and he is having trouble

seeing the road.  He has to squint through the tears and the wipers.

The rain on the street and inside the truck match the

rain on the roof... His face is pierced with the pain he feels.  His mind

returns to the glove box of the truck.  The only remnants of Jack that

he still has..  Those worn and tearstained cards..He was gonna put them

to rest up on the mountain, that was his intent.  However when time

to do it came.  All he could think of was, it would be like killing Jack all

over again to burn them cards,,,so he just put them back in the box, an

started back to riverton.  Well Jack,  "I swear,"

Beautiful mind

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »
Saturday morning, March 5th 1966
The cold wind seemed to blow right through him as Ennis attempted to balance himself on the the roof of of his rented old farmhouse. Hands nearly frozen in an effort to secure the TV antenna that had once again blown down the night before. He knew his two girls, Junior and Jenny looked forward all week to Saturday cartoons. Ice cold tools, numb fingers, awkward  antenna apparatus made slow progress. Finally the last bolt tightened Ennis stood back looking at his efforts. Still wobbling the the fierce wind the antenna looked like it would hold...at least through another night.
Satisfied for now Ennis gathered up his tools and headed for the ladder propped up against the house. Just before he reached it he looked to the north, thought he could see the far distant silhouette of the Big Horns. His thoughts turned to the that summer now nearly two years ago he had spent on Brokeback. Growing up he never thought he would know such happiness, beautiful splendor of the surrounding peaks, trees that rose to the heavens, warm campfires at night ...and Jack. Nothing the Lord had in heaven could be better than his time on Brokeback he thought. Ennis remained there for a moment no longer feeling the biting of the wind but the warmth of of his days spent at Brokeback.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:27:47 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2007, 01:48:36 pm »
“Well, I guess we’ll pack up in the mornin’, I’ll head ta Lightning Flat,” said Jack, poking at the embers of the campfire with a stick. “My daddy says a bunch a shingles blew off the roof in that last big storm we had. I’ll be spendin’ a few days helpin’ him fix that.”

“Wish I could go with ya,” said Ennis, softly. “We’d get the job done in no time.”

Jack looked at him, a myriad of answers running through his mind.

”Yeah, I’d love ta have ya help me…and have ya meet my folks. Mebbe then we could make this relationship real.”

“When ya say things like that, ya twist the knife, Ennis. You don’t know how much it hurts.”

“Bet yer better with a hammer n nails than I am, Ennis. You could do the whole job by yerself in half the time it’ll take me.”

“What’s stopping you? Get in the truck, let’s go.”

But all Jack said was, “Ya got yer girls, Ennis, and yer job. I know ya can’t take anymore time off.”

Ennis nodded. “Yeah. That’s it.”

(185 words)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:17:40 am by MaineWriter »