Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1206418 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1270 on: May 10, 2007, 08:07:12 pm »
(Not much talking, but here goes, continuation of the Neighbor.)

The Envelope

(August 1985)
Ennis’s thoughts were all a swirl.  He was lying in bed but he was neither asleep nor awake.  His head was a jumble of pictures and voices, Jack’s and Tom’s and Cassie’s and Alma’s.  He opened his eyes but all he saw was the darkness.  He closed his eyes again and tried to sleep but all he saw were the images, swirling around without stopping.

The light was suddenly streaming in through the small window.  Ennis sat up and picked up the picture that was on the nightstand, the picture that he got in that shop on that strange ride with Tom.  He put it back down, the picture was no comfort after all.

Ennis got up, went to the tiny bathroom and splashed cold water on his face.  He was about to start getting ready to go to the ranch but he suddenly remembered that it was Saturday.  He went to the door of the trailer.  The sun was streaming in through the windows.  It was a sunny day.  He was about to open the door but something on the floor caught his eye.  He picked it up.  It was a sealed white envelope.  He turned it over on both sides. There was no writing on it, except for where it said ‘Ennis’ in small straight handwriting on the front.  He opened the door and sat down on the steps.  Everything was still, except for a white truck driving by on the road.  He looked over at Tom’s trailer, for once Tom was not outside.  Ennis began to carefully tear the envelope open, but then he stopped and went back inside.

He poured some water into the pot and set in on the flame.  He was all out of real coffee, all he had was an ancient jar of the instant stuff.  With all the strange things going on, with Tom and the strange rides and the strange knocking on his door the past few days he had completely forgotten to do any grocery shopping.  He picked up the envelope again.  “Must be from Tom” he said to himself, but he really had no idea.  He carefully ripped open up the top edge, but then he put it down on the table.  Ennis looked over towards the closet.  Three years.  He began walking over to it but he restrained himself.  Before he got into bed last night he just sat staring at the shirts for hours.  He swore that he wasn’t  going to do that anymore. 

Ennis sat back down at the table, the water was now gurgling and boiling away.  He got up and turned the flame off, looking with longing at the closet door.  But he sat back down and picked up the envelope again.  He sat there turning it over and over in his hands.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1271 on: May 10, 2007, 09:01:46 pm »
Ennis’s thoughts were all a swirl.  He was lying in bed but he was neither asleep nor awake.  His head was a jumble of pictures and voices, Jack’s and Tom’s and Cassie’s and Alma’s.  He opened his eyes but all he saw was the darkness.  He closed his eyes again and tried to sleep but all he saw were the images, swirling around without stopping. .  .  .

This is such a perfect description of what I call the "3:00 a.m. blues" - when your mind is in overdrive and you wish you had an on-off switch for your brain.  Poor Ennis - he's experiencing the 3:00 a.m. blues 24 hours a day.  Hope whatever is in that envelope helps.  Wonderful writing, Marl. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1272 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:32 pm »
Thank You, Marie
 :)
Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1273 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:27 pm »
Thank you everyone for an awesome drabble day!!
I am coming late, late to the show, but I thought I'd post this.
(I was within limit this time!  ;))

His Portrait..

September 1967

He emptied the contents of the bulging canvas bag onto the bedspread.  He looked at the pile of rumpled clothes; they were badly in need of a wash.  He bundled them up in his arms and dumped them in the laundry basket by the bathroom door.  He was about to walk away when he saw a piece of paper drowning in the sea of dirty clothes.  He pulled it out; it was a sealed envelope.  He walked over to the bed and sat down as he ripped it open.  He pulled out a little note, along with a worn piece of paper that was folded many times.  Ennis opened the note…

Ennis,
I wrote this some months after Brokeback.
You sure messed with my head.  You still do.
I may never say these words to your face..
But now you know.
Jack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think of him,
In the light of day
In the dark of night.
He is inside me
Outside me
Around me
Above me
Underneath me
Before me
After me
In front of me
Behind me.
A man of few words
Dark-brown eyes
Blonde hair, curly.
Lips like honey,
Smile like heaven.
Rod like a lightnin’ pole,
Smooth and hard
Driving inside me
Fierce and urgent,
Without restraint.

I think of him,
When I wake
When I sleep;
I see his face
His chest, his limbs
Right before me;
Inviting, teasing
Yet I can’t touch.
I have no picture
To look upon
When I dream.
So I’ll carry this
In my empty wallet.
His portrait,
My image of him.
I think of him
Today like yesterday,
Like I will tomorrow.
Just like he was then –
Dark-brown eyes
Blonde hair, curly.
Lips like honey,
Smile like heaven.

(286 words)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:12:57 am by Lucise »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1274 on: May 11, 2007, 01:38:08 am »

The Envelope

(August 1985)

He was about to open the door but something on the floor caught his eye.  He picked it up.  It was a sealed white envelope.  He turned it over on both sides. There was no writing on it, except for where it said ‘Ennis’ in small straight handwriting on the front.  He opened the door and sat down on the steps.  Everything was still, except for a white truck driving by on the road.

I wonder what's in the envelope. I hope it's something to put Ennis's mind at rest (well, a bit anyway  :-\)

I'm looking forward to your next drabble Marl! Thanks.

His Portrait..

September 1967

He emptied the contents of the bulging canvas bag onto the bedspread.  He looked at the pile of rumpled clothes; they were badly in need of a wash.  He bundled them up in his arms and dumped them in the laundry basket by the bathroom door.  He was about to walk away when he saw a piece of paper drowning in the sea of dirty clothes.  He pulled it out; it was a sealed envelope.  He walked over to the bed and sat down as he ripped it open.  He pulled out a little note, along with a worn piece of paper that was folded many times.  Ennis opened the note…

Ennis,
But now you know.
Jack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think of him
Today like yesterday,
Like I will tomorrow.
Just like he was then –
Dark-brown eyes
Blonde hair, curly.
Lips like honey,
Smile like heaven.

Thank god Ennis found this and it didn't end up in the laundry basket! I can't imagine what must be going through his mind reading this...

wonderful! thank you.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1275 on: May 11, 2007, 09:39:56 am »

His Portrait..

Ennis,
But now you know.
Jack
. .  .
Those words took my breath away - so powerful, so beautiful, but, most of all, so heartfelt and true.  Thanks so much for sharing - you can never be too late. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1276 on: May 11, 2007, 09:57:30 am »
Great day for drabbles yesterday. Thanks to Milli, Marlen, Mark, Scott, Cristine.

Marlen, we now have the mysterious photograph, the mysterious envelope and the mysterious knocking at Ennis' door. Let alone Tom himself.
Hm.
Hm, hm.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1277 on: May 11, 2007, 11:02:52 am »
July 1988

Ennis looks out the window, taking in a last look at Signal, focusing in on that small patch of gravel in front of the trailer. On the seat beside him the son of the man he met there so long ago, changing his life forever.

"Umm...so Ennis...when ya left here...you 'n Pop....you...make plans....how'd you keep in touch?"

"...Naw ...like Ah said ....kinda a mixed up inside ....bein' out in town in all...after....Helped yer dad get that old pickup started...been sittin' all summer ...he ask if Ah's comin' back the next summer.....tell 'm Ah's gettin' married ta Alma, my girls mama...said Ah'd probably not... so we just kinda left yer daddy drove off in his pickup ...didn't think Ah'd ever be seen' him again........ Ah tell ya..... slow down a second son....see that space right there between the buildings? ....Wuz walkin' right  after Ah saw yer dad drive away... hid right down there ....bawled mys eyes out ...couldn't stop......"

Bobby reaches squeezes Ennis's neck, then brings his truck up to speed.

"Come ta find out....when Ah went up ta Lightning Flat after yer daddy wuz gone...your grandma....she wuz so nice ta me....had me go up ta yer daddy's old room...found he kept the shirts we wuz warin' that day hidden in the closet all them years...the one Ah got all bloody...and his old blue one...he had it over mine with  the sleeve inside 'n all....kinda like protectin' it ...yer grandma....she let me take them...don't know if she knew they's even there.... but she knew how much those old shirta meant ta me 'n Jack....got 'm up in my closet in Riverton....put mine over his....."

After a few minutes Bobby speaks. "So how....how did  you 'n Pop meet up again?."

"Well.... wuz married ta Alma...doin' stuff most folks do...had me my little girls...workin' on ranches ...tryin' ta take care of my family....Well ...one day come home an there this postcard....from yer daddy!" Ennis looks wide eyed at Bobby. "Say he's comin' thru an ta let 'm know if Ah'd be there!"

"When did he send it....how long after....?"

"More in four years...! wuz September....don't know what the hell took him so long!" Ennis laughs, bringing Booby to giggle.

"An you never heard from him...all that time?"

"Nope....Ah guess never thought Ah would."

"So he came ta see ya?"

"Yep....remember like wuz yesterday....didn't say what time he'd be there...took day off... wore my best shirt... kinda a lookin' out the window ....pacing around all day.....didn't know ...what..."

"So...he showed up...?"

"Yep son he did!." Ennis laughing, slaps Bobby on his blue jean clad leg. "We's wouldn't be sittin' her if he didn't.  Ah fell asleep on the couch...woke when Ah heard his truck drive up....got up looked out the window...an there he wuz! ...raced down them strairs...grabbed 'm so hard thought his insides would come out." Ennis looks ahead. "Found out then 'bout you...says he's married 'n had a son ...couldn't tell how happy Ah wuz fer him."

"Was that when you 'n him...would meet...."

"Umm....yep...went up the the mountains fer a few days right after....pretty much from then on we'd go up way out middle of nowhere mostly always camped ...some time Ah could borrow a cabin ...we'd hunt ...fish fer some of our meals ...yer daddy always made sure we had plenty of good food ...brought a stove ' n all...usually wuz able to make it 'bout three times ah  year....." Ennis looks down a second. "Sometimes... felt kinda bad...'bout Alma 'n yer mama ...sure wusn't their fault....in between those times Ah's mebe think Ah shouldn't go anymore with yer daddy...but....then...postcard come in the mail....an knowd Ah had ta go."

"I ....I know Pop looked forward ta those times.... he always seemed happiest gettin' ready fer goin up ta Wyoming. Mama ...she never gave him a hard time I ever heard  'bout taking those trips ...Glad to send me up on a plane ta meet him to visit grandma 'n grandpa....after he'd see you...."

"Ah....Ah looked forward to them time too...best times Ah ever had ....wuz with yer daddy."

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:55:38 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1278 on: May 11, 2007, 11:42:07 am »
Morning all.

Like Chrissi said, yesterday was a great day for drabbles!  Thanks so much everyone! :)
Since there are no prompts for today yet, here are some suggestions:

* diligent
* faded jeans
* bar of soap

Go nuts and have fun!  ;)

P/s: When you get a chance, do check out our Drabblefest LJ Community that adiabatic so wonderfully maintains for us!
Thanks A!  :-*

~M

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1279 on: May 11, 2007, 12:33:38 pm »
Thank you everyone for an awesome drabble day!!
I am coming late, late to the show, but I thought I'd post this.
(I was within limit this time!  ;))

His Portrait..

September 1967

Ennis,
But now you know.
Jack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think of him,
In the light of day
In the dark of night.
He is inside me
Outside me
Around me
Above me
Underneath me
Before me
After me
In front of me
Behind me.
A man of few words
Dark-brown eyes
Blonde hair, curly.
Lips like honey,
Smile like heaven.
Rod like a lightnin’ pole,
Smooth and hard
Driving inside me
Fierce and urgent,
Without restraint.

I think of him,
When I wake
When I sleep;
I see his face
His chest, his limbs
Right before me;
Inviting, teasing
Yet I can’t touch.
I have no picture
To look upon
When I dream.
So I’ll carry this
In my empty wallet.
His portrait,
My image of him.
I think of him
Today like yesterday,
Like I will tomorrow.
Just like he was then –
Dark-brown eyes
Blonde hair, curly.
Lips like honey,
Smile like heaven.

(286 words)

That was beautiful.
Brought me to tears.
Happens often when I think of our boys.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"