Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1206517 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1570 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:21 pm »

Woo Wee - loved that Clyde!  Christmas is my favorite holiday.   ;D  Thanks for drabbling.

Thanks Marie, you're very kind.  Glad I was able to tap into something you liked.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1571 on: June 26, 2007, 07:57:51 pm »
Thank you Janice and Marie!!!

Wonderful drabbles today, Clyde, Chrissi and Marie!! ;D

Marl..

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1572 on: June 26, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

There was a whisper of a smile on Ennis's face as he watched Junior, and a faraway look in his eyes. "Bean days," he murmured to himself. 

I like "Bean days".  It's silly, sweet and poignant.  Something a guy would think of.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1573 on: June 26, 2007, 09:11:30 pm »

Another Summer Afternoon

(August 1980)
Ennis sat on the couch, lazily thumbing through one of Cassie's magazines.  It was one of those news magazines.  Cassie would sit and read it on Sunday afternoons, she said she liked to know what was going on in the world.  She would always try to give them to him to read.  She would say “don't ya wanna talk like an educated person?”  But he would always shake his head, and he would laugh to himself when she fell asleep with the magazine in her lap.

But today was real hot, about a 100 degrees.  They were too hot to go anywhere.  Cassie was taking a shower, she said “just can’t take this anymore, can’t take it at all.”  Ennis looked up at her when she said that, there was something about her voice, but he turned right back to the magazine.

Ennis slid deeper into the damp couch, going through the pages, not being able to contain his yawns.  There were articles about the oil crises, and the election, and inflation.  Ennis stared at that word, in a big bold headline.  He closed his eyes, not fighting the drowsiness, feeling the water of a crisp cool stream.

“It sure is a scorcher” Cassie said.  “Are you just goin’ to sit there like that all day?”

Ennis was jolted awake.  Cassie just had on a big white towel wrapped around her.  Her wet hair was dripping all over.  She sat down next to him.  He didn’t stir.  She smelled like baby powder.

Ennis kept flipping through the magazine.  There was an article about some plain clothes policemen in a far off big city, trying to deal with the drugs and the crime.  There was a picture of some in uniform, on the streets of the city.  Ennis stared at the picture.  One of them had dark hair, and a dark mustache, and he was tall and lean.  Cassie sat down beside him.  “It sure is hot” she said.

She felt cool against him, as she took the magazine out of his hands.  Ennis closed his eyes.  He could feel her against him, but he was standing in the stream, with the cool, rippling water flowing all around him.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:40:12 am by Cameron »

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1574 on: June 26, 2007, 09:40:44 pm »

Ennis stared at the picture.  One of them had dark hair, and a dark mustache, and he was tall and lean.  Cassie sat down beside him.  “It sure is hot” she said.

Cameron, I like this because you know Ennis is agreeing with her, but not about the weather!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1575 on: June 26, 2007, 11:39:22 pm »
Thank you, Gary and Clyde!!! :)

Clyde, you sure are right about that!!!! ;)

M....

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1576 on: June 27, 2007, 12:23:24 pm »
I like "Bean days".  It's silly, sweet and poignant.  Something a guy would think of.

Good to know, Clyde - thanks.

. . . .
She felt cool against him, as she took the magazine out of his hands.  Ennis closed his eyes.  He could feel her against him, but he was standing in the stream, with the cool, rippling water flowing all around him.

That says it all, doesn't it, Marl?  Great to see that Cassie's talking to you. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1577 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:46 pm »
How about these for some Wednesday prompts:

• car wash
  • $24.00
  • gravel

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1578 on: June 27, 2007, 01:46:37 pm »
   "WASH ME!!!"
    Scrawled in foot high letters down both sides the old blue and white pickup.   
   “Who the hell...?” 
   “That gravel dust the only thing holdin it together?”
   “Jack f’ckin Twist, I might a knowed.”
    “Ennis, get that damn thing washed."
    “Yeah, sure, me with only $24.00 til next payday.”
    “You got a hose.  You know how to use it.”
     “You mean like this?”  Ennis grabbed the hose and soaked Jack full force.
     “Ennis!  I just stopped by passin through. I got no change a clothes.  Now what am I supposed to wear?”
     Ennis gave a wicked chuckle and grinned.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1579 on: June 27, 2007, 04:13:31 pm »
   "WASH ME!!!"
    Scrawled in foot high letters down both sides the old blue and white pickup.  
   “Who the hell...?” 
   “That gravel dust the only thing holdin it together?”
   “Jack f’ckin Twist, I might a knowed.”
    “Ennis, get that damn thing washed."
    “Yeah, sure, me with only $24.00 til next payday.”
    “You got a hose.  You know how to use it.”
     “You mean like this?”  Ennis grabbed the hose and soaked Jack full force.
     “Ennis!  I just stopped by passin through. I got no change a clothes.  Now what am I supposed to wear?”
     Ennis gave a wicked chuckle and grinned.

100 words

LOL!  What I silly question, Jack.   ;D  Way to go, Clyde - all three prompts so cleverly used in 100 words. 

Marie