Author Topic: BBM Radio Statistics: Jan ‘07  (Read 7751 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
BBM Radio Statistics: Jan ‘07
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
BBM Radio Statistics:  Jan ‘07

Total January Listening Hours:  1,979:49 hours

:D  Up 39% from December!  Yee-Haw!  :D

Average time listeners spend listening to the station per session: 74:34 minutes.

Top Ten Highest Rated Tracks  :D

1.   John Denver – Annie’s Song
2.   Global Stage Orchestra – Brokeback Mountain 3 (Lake Scene & Flashback to Dozy Embrace)
3.   Tim McGraw – My Old Friend
4.   Bread – Everything I Own
5.   Keith Urban – Tonight I Wanna Cry
6.   Tim McGraw – My Best Friend
7.   Gustavo Santalolla – Opening (Credits)
8.   Willie Nelson – Always On My Mind
9.   Tracy Byrd – Keeper Of The Stars
10.   Bob Dylan – Make You Feel My Love
And landing just outside the top ten:
11.   Gustavo Santalolla – Hearding Sheep

Top Ten Lowest Rated Tracks:  :(

(Seems the dance tracks are not fairing well.)

1.   Gustavo Santalolla – The Wings (Finbarr Massi Trance Remix)
2.   Paul Van Dyk – The Other Side
3.   Gustavo Santalolla – The Wings Remix (Manny Lehman, Tony Moran, & Warren Rigg)
4.   Phil Collins – Against All Odds
5.   Hammock – An Empty Field
6.   Waylon Jennings – It’s So Easy
7.   Sarah Brightman – This Love
8.   Amores Perros – Atacama
9.   Heather Nova – Heart and Shoulder
10.   Martin Erskine – End Titles of Heights

Agree or disagree that these should be the highest or lowest rated tracks?  Tune in and vote while listening for your favorite (or least favorite) songs on BBM Radio.  Keep voting even if you have already voted 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' already!  The reports we get are on a thirty-day rotation, so if you voted for a track thirty days ago, your vote is no longer valid.  Also, tastes change.  A track you may not have liked a few weeks ago, may have grown on you by now.  It could work the other way too.  Maybe you're sick of hearing a particular track...  Regardless, even if you've already voted for a track, if you can, vote again as often as you can when listening to the station!  :D

(When our new playlist for February is rotated in in mid-February, the songs with the lowest ratings will be the ones that are rotated out.) 

Who was listening to BBM Radio in January?  ;)

Country              Streams     Total Listening Hours per Country   

United States          1012         1433:29   
Canada                   59             73:14   
Netherlands             41            58:29   
United Kingdom       76             51:29   
Sweden                  25            47:28   
France                    67            46:00   
Germany                 36            44:21   
Luxembourg           15             30:10   
Finland                   20             24:35   
Belgium                  29             23:28   
Italy                       13             16:23   
Chile                      10             10:36   
Spain                     16              9:44   
Mexico                    9               8:49   
Switzerland              4               8:27   
Peru                       2               8:19   
Jamaica                   4               7:33   
Norway                  16              7:31   
Australia                  8               5:30   
Denmark                 7               5:15   
Slovenia                  4               4:31   
Korea, Republic of    17             4:30   
Brazil                       7               3:57   
Israel                       5              3:51   
Russia                      1              2:02   
Portugal                   3              1:58   
Thailand                   1              1:35   
Argentina                 7              1:10   

(Rest not listed)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:39:17 pm by sfericsf »

Scott6373

Re: BBM Radio Statistics: Jan ‘07
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:40:01 pm »
Those stats are amazing...Eric you're God!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:52:54 pm »
Terrific news!!

Has anybody noticed...once you turn it on, you're unable to turn it off again?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:05:03 pm »
???

I'm confused! (It doesn't take much!)

I'm looking at this list of countries, and I can't think of even one single member from countries like Slovenia, Luxembourg, Peru and Finland. Do we have members here from those places? Or is BBM Radio being advertised on the Internet? Are they some of the guests we see listed at the bottom of the screen?

Who are these people?  ???

This Indiana country boy is CONFUSED!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:15:06 pm »
Anyone, anywhere in the world, can tune into BBM Radio on Live 365.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:26:40 pm »

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought they had to come to this web site and click on the "Brokeback Mountain Radio" sign.

That's really cool Eric! Thanks for explaining it to me!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:50:41 pm »

I was imagining it being beamed out into space & aliens picking it up  :D  but then I remembered it's not the old-fashioned radio.  Doesn't take much to make me feel like I came out of the ark these days!
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:18:19 pm »
The Wings Remix (Manny Lehman, Tony Moran, & Warren Rigg) has just been replaced with a new dance remix called Wicked Mountain by the Midnight Cowboys, which infuses The Wings with Wicked Game.  :D

Please vote "Thumbs up or "Thumbs down" when you hear it.  ;)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:52:16 am »
1.   Gustavo Santalolla – The Wings (Finbarr Massi Trance Remix)
2.   Paul Van Dyk – The Other Side
3.   Gustavo Santalolla – The Wings Remix (Manny Lehman, Tony Moran, & Warren Rigg)

A -lot- of people have an immediate negative visceral reaction to the remixes and have since they came out because, for most who hated them, they are virtually committing treason and showing disrespect to the mood, flavor, and atmosphere of the film.  The reviews on iTunes when these came out were among the most hostile iTunes has ever recorded (I think K-Fed's lousy album surpassed this, but maybe not).  That's why I never included them, but a year out, it was probably worth the try.

Based on the comments I was reading in a lot of places in my exploration for new music, every piece had to fit like a puzzle piece.  Anything that didn't fit just so was considered jarring and provoked negative ratings.  And it wasn't just the more dance-type stuff.  A lot of popular music or stuff that had no relationship with Wyoming "culturally" whatsoever never did well either, even when the lyrics spoke to the story very well (a Streisand song that referred to tending sheep and fit well lyric-wise bombed just because nobody could ever imagine Jack or Ennis tolerating it, much less a good part of the state of Wyoming.)  The Phil Collins song lyric-wise works, but I think for most listeners it takes them back to their own lives during the era when that song was on the pop charts and doesn't really remind people of the story, atmosphere, scenery, etc., so it has bombed as well.

That's why it was so incredibly difficult and time-consuming to choose music for the station.  Finding slide guitar instrumentals that evoked a real sense of rural mountain west (and not simply new age guitar strumming or something that reminds you of meaningless meanderings in a Starbucks somewhere) was very difficult.  Vocals that seem to work come from two categories - adult alternative-singer/songwriter and modern/adult country.  And from the latter category, indie country seems to do even better.  Mainstream country music from the usual suspects didn't.  Plus, I had to reject songs out of hand that would reference "she" or "her," and I often dumped songs from consideration that went off in another direction lyric-wise, from the story.  A song about driving for miles and thinking about one's life and relationship works fine, until "as I crossed the Georgia line."  Buh bye to that song - it doesn't work.

Usually listeners are forgiving to a point, but you can tell from the statistics that if you push them too hard, they abandon the station.  The lowest rated songs often coincide with a listener dumping BBM Radio at that very point.

Tracks like that I tended to pull as quickly as possible, especially if it caused the listener to stop listening.

And some of the song suggestions I read on other forums were, with all due respect to those who suggested them, not going to work at all.  An Enya song in Wyoming would probably get you arrested.  :)  Someone else suggested a metal piece, another looked for some hardcore indie track from a band of 19 year olds doing what so many do - lamenting the "bitch girlfriend" to quote from the lyrics.  What in the world that has to do with BBM is beyond me.  I guess for different people different music can remind them of the story, but for a collective audience, one has to be sure that vision would likely be shared by more than just one person.

I'm sure you're now discovering the same thing I did.  It can be and is tough work because it's far more than a simple radio station with a playlist of popular songs.  It's a careful compilation of feelings, thoughts, and visions of the story, the passage thru time, and the characters.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:09 am »
A -lot- of people have an immediate negative visceral reaction to the remixes and have since they came out because, for most who hated them, they are virtually committing treason and showing disrespect to the mood, flavor, and atmosphere of the film. 

I had a similar reaction to fan fiction & funny photo captions at first.  But now I like them & like the remixes, although of course it's down to personal taste.  I won't mind if they are taken off if that is the consensus view.

Based on the comments I was reading in a lot of places in my exploration for new music, every piece had to fit like a puzzle piece.  Anything that didn't fit just so was considered jarring and provoked negative ratings.  And it wasn't just the more dance-type stuff.  ...

I can understand this, cos there are many songs that I personally can relate to BBM as I turn around the words, particularly the "she" to "he" but in general it does ruin the feel of the song.  Take Elvis for example, as I love him so much I have been searching for a BBM-related Elvis track that sounds right but haven't yet found one and probably won't.  Grrr.  When I hear "Suspicious Minds" I think of BBM cos of Alma's suspicions & then Ennis's about Mexico, but overall the feel of the song just doesn't fit BBM.

Someone else suggested a metal piece, another looked for some hardcore indie track from a band of 19 year olds doing what so many do - lamenting the "bitch girlfriend" to quote from the lyrics.  What in the world that has to do with BBM is beyond me.  I guess for different people different music can remind them of the story, but for a collective audience, one has to be sure that vision would likely be shared by more than just one person.

As per above.  I also like metal/hard rock/etc & personally relate some of my fave Marilyn Manson/Nine Inch Nails tracks about the more intense feelings & incidents of BBM yet I realise it would not be appropriate for shared listening.  Sometimes a harder track can communicate the power of say, jealousy, anger, violence, lust, etc which there is plenty of in BBM.  Also some darker aspects of Ennis's personality suit these types of tracks IMO.

It can be and is tough work because it's far more than a simple radio station with a playlist of popular songs.  It's a careful compilation of feelings, thoughts, and visions of the story, the passage thru time, and the characters.

There are many many listeners who appreciate the hard work  :-*
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over