Author Topic: Best Friends Forever  (Read 71850 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Best Friends Forever
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 11:33:52 am »
What's wrong with me!

I don't know!! I'm usually the one behind on the good stories,  not you!!  :P   ::)

;D

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 11:37:58 am »
What's wrong with me! I just realized I still haven't read A Little Something Extra... I'm doing that today. I love Sienna's stories so much, she always makes me happy even at her angstiest...

I agree with you on BFF, I think that is so interesting about the story that it is such a happy story despite the awkward communication skills of the boys (and the angsty but also funny situations they get in), we as the reader always know what they feel for each other...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 11:46:30 am »
Mel do you not like RPS? Because I was going to say if you like BFF you should give Boys of Blue Ridge a try. It really is only Cliff and Jazza in name, an AU RPS and Sienna is brilliant with the angst and sexual tension in this and when they finally get together, so much love and beauty.

It's a good one for people who don't really get in to RPS, I read it back when i was completely against it. And it's complete  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 11:48:48 am »
Ok, ignore the above question, LOL I just saw the post where you said "I don't read RPS"

I swear, I need to read the thread before replying  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 11:59:20 am »
It really is only Cliff and Jazza in name

Huh?  ???

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 01:07:39 pm »
LOL sorry, that was meant to be "It is only Heath and Jake in name"

they call them Cliff and Jazza over at DC and the names stuck with me and I forgot they aren't used everywhere  :-\

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »
LOL sorry, that was meant to be "It is only Heath and Jake in name"

they call them Cliff and Jazza over at DC and the names stuck with me and I forgot they aren't used everywhere  :-\

I had no idea what you were talking about. LOL.

You wrote that you read an RPS story when you were completely against it. Why and when were you completely against it?

Anyway, I don't read RPS because I rather stick to fictional characters!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »
well, I probably shouldn't have said completely against it... mostly I just thought the idea was silly, but kind of in the same way I thought fan fic was silly before I started reading brokeback fan fic. I just didn't like the idea of using real peoples lives for our own enjoyment.

But then I kept hearing about Bailey's The Raw Prawn, and I had no clue what it was, but it sounded really interesting, so I tried it and it turned out to be AU RPS, Heath and Jake only in name and looks and Bailey is an amazing writer so I fell in love... then I decided maybe I'd branch out a bit and didn't know where to go from there, but Sienna's Boys of Blue Ridge was updating fairly regularly so I just tried it out. She hooked me for RPS.

Anyway, I completley understand the desire to stick with fictional characters, I think that's why it took an AU RPS to hook me, because you pretty much are reading about fictional characters... but of course, once I was hooked I was hooked and I read everything  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 04:20:52 pm »

I just didn't like the idea of using real peoples lives for our own enjoyment.

Thanks for explaining.... :) Apart from the fact that I like reading about Jack and Ennis and there are already so many good stories around, that definitely is something that bugs me about RPS.

But then I kept hearing about Bailey's The Raw Prawn, and I had no clue what it was, but it sounded really interesting, so I tried it and it turned out to be AU RPS, Heath and Jake only in name

But if it's only in name, why did she not use different names if it didn't make any difference? Could it just as easily have been Jack and Ennis? :-\

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 08:32:57 pm »
But if it's only in name, why did she not use different names if it didn't make any difference? Could it just as easily have been Jack and Ennis?

Probably not J & E just because the personalities are very different, and I think that maybe keeping it Heath and Jake comes from wanting to give you the mental image of Heath/Jake... but yeah essentially different names could probably be used, but that's just the nature of the RPS fandom I guess.  They can be kind of fun to read though because, like in the Raw Prawn random people like Guy Pierce and Eric Bana show up as other characters. And the few RPS stories I read are usually by authors who I know are good writers and who write J & E stuff that I enjoy... like Bailey's or Sienna's or Scarlettbaby's There's Something About Jake which I only started reading after reading her J&E story Serenity Falls. Plus, there's usually hot smex, which is always fun  ;)

But, it can be creepy. Especially because there can be a tendency in RPS toward making Jake the weak or mentally unstable character, which I haven't quite figured out why that happens.

RPS is not for everybody, but if you ever want to try any out Sienna's stories are a good place to start, especially if you like the style of BFF.