Author Topic: What is it about Gyllenhaal?  (Read 11583 times)

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
What is it about Gyllenhaal?
« on: April 15, 2006, 09:21:04 pm »
I have been a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal way before Brokeback. His phenomenal performance as Jack has only further confirmed my feeling that he is one of the most talented actors today.
He brings such freshness, genuiness, passion, depth, and life to the characters he plays. He makes each one unique and real. For several weeks after the first few times I saw Brokeback, I just couldn't could him out of my head. Someone told me that my judgement was "clouded" because he is so attractive (a.k.a. "hot").
I thought about that for awhile and came to the conclusion that that is just not accurate. There are several actors, athletes, models, and other celebrities who are considered "hot". None of them have had the impact on me that Gyllenhaal has had. And none of the "hot" actors are people I necessarliy consider good actors.
There seems to be such depth of character, humanity, warmth, and kindness that he exudes.
Now, please, all you Heath Ledger fans, understand that I think Ledger is absolutely phenomenal, also. He, too, in my opinion, is one of the best actors today. I have seen several of his movies and he is absolutely wonderful. For whatever reason, though, I just can't get Gyllenhaal out of my head.
Am I alone with this pre-occupation with Gyllenhaal?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 10:23:17 pm by mg501 »

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: What is it about Gyllenhaal?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:30:41 am »
LOL, no not at all...

I have experienced a crushing obsession on Mr. Gyllenhaal twice now. I am only just now recovering from the last one, thanks in part to the support that so many on these boards have offered.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 08:28:36 am »
In answer to your question... everything?  ;)

I had liked Jake in his other movies prior to Brokeback.  And I thought he had a lot of potential that somehow wasn't being fully tapped.  His other performances weren't as rich not because he wasn't capable, but because it wasn't required.  How many nuances can you give Holden Caulfield, really, you know?  But he gave those characters really more depth than required.  Still they weren't enough to really stretch him.

My husband and I watched the movie together last night.  My ninth time (but who's counting?) his second.  I remember finding that my second viewing is what really illuminated Jack in all his many-splendored glory.  My husband thinks I'm crushing on him a bit (it's been known to happen before ;)), so I think he's thought all these viewings of mine were so I could look at him on a purely superficial level repeatedly, like that other movie and actor which shall remain nameless here.  But last night, he sat riveted to the sofa, watching in thoughtful silence the whole time.  This is rare for him.  He's like a shark - he never stops moving, even when he's asleep.  The only other movie I can remember him doing this with is Schindler's List.  And we've seen a lot of great movies together.  He even sat through *all* the credits, which he didn't do in the theater the first time, and which I can't remember him ever doing with another movie when watching it at home.  We never really talked about it the first time - he's my Ennis, dontcha know.  But this time, as we were turning everything off and heading to bed, I said, "So..."  And he goes, "You're right.  That's a great movie."  I said, "What did you think of the acting?"  He goes, "I thought it was great - *everyone* was great."  He said "everyone" as if he'd never seen anything where the acting was so good across the board.  Then he goes, "But that Jake Gyllenhaal walked away with it."  And I said, "Yep.  Kinda what I've thought all along, too."  He goes, "The other guy (lol) was great, but he just... did more."

So chalk up another fan.  :)

I have to say, too, that as much as I admired Jake's performance from the beginning of my experience of this movie, I never expected him to be such a doll in "real" life.  I watched him on Leno back in January - had never seen him interviewed before - and was just floored at how genuine and grounded and warm he is.  He made me think of Jodie Foster, in a way - she's another one I love to watch in interviews because she has such a strong, positive life force exuding from her every pore.  Both of them are so enthusiastic about and reverent of what they do, without being the least bit affected or arrogant.  It's so refreshing.
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:28:33 am »
So chalk up another fan.  :)

Oh Barb, thanks for sharing this story, so sweet I get misty!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

texman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:11:13 pm »
In the scene taken at the country club with Jack dancing with Randall's wife, I thought that Jake looked A LOT like John Travolta in his Urban Cowboy days. I guess it was the costuming.
 I think Jake was good for this part because he even looks kinda "horsey" dressed up in his western clothes. His looks fit the part.
 Before Ang Lee got the project, another producer was going to try to make the film with well known, mega star actors playing Ennis & Jack.

Anyone care to guess who those actors may have been?

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 05:38:54 pm »

Ooooh, a quiz!  I think everyone knows about Gus Van Sant once being attached as director, but I've not heard anything about the actors (who are probably kicking themselves now for passing up on the opportunity).  I can't wait to hear who they were, which will probably be soon followed by a thorough rolling of my eyes!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:01:46 pm »
In the scene taken at the country club with Jack dancing with Randall's wife, I thought that Jake looked A LOT like John Travolta in his Urban Cowboy days. I guess it was the costuming.
 I think Jake was good for this part because he even looks kinda "horsey" dressed up in his western clothes. His looks fit the part.
 Before Ang Lee got the project, another producer was going to try to make the film with well known, mega star actors playing Ennis & Jack.

I could be mistaken,  was one of them Christian Slater?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

texman

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 01:23:29 am »
In researching this I found out that the first choice for Ennis was Joaquin Phoenix. Van Sant could never find a Jack he liked, and had difficulty finding someone to play the part. It was only after Ang Lee came on the scene is when everyone else came on board.

Who do you think would have made good alternative actors instead of Jake and Heath?

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 12:24:02 am »
My name is Stacey and I, too, am obsessed with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Like you, I find a lot of actors "hot" and attractive but there is something about Jake that I can't put my finger on. From the first time I saw him wake up on the side of the road in Donnie Darko to him screaming FIVE HUNDRED DOLLLLAA in Bubble Boy to him giggling when Ennis shoves him over, I've been smitten.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 04:56:19 am »
I have been a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal way before Brokeback. His phenomenal performance as Jack has only further confirmed my feeling that he is one of the most talented actors today.
He brings such freshness, genuiness, passion, depth, and life to the characters he plays. He makes each one unique and real. For several weeks after the first few times I saw Brokeback, I just couldn't could him out of my head. Someone told me that my judgement was "clouded" because he is so attractive (a.k.a. "hot").
I thought about that for awhile and came to the conclusion that that is just not accurate. There are several actors, athletes, models, and other celebrities who are considered "hot". None of them have had the impact on me that Gyllenhaal has had. And none of the "hot" actors are people I necessarliy consider good actors.
There seems to be such depth of character, humanity, warmth, and kindness that he exudes.
Now, please, all you Heath Ledger fans, understand that I think Ledger is absolutely phenomenal, also. He, too, in my opinion, is one of the best actors today. I have seen several of his movies and he is absolutely wonderful. For whatever reason, though, I just can't get Gyllenhaal out of my head.
Am I alone with this pre-occupation with Gyllenhaal?

You know, I never really noticed Jake Gyllenhaal until I saw Brokeback Mountain. I had seen The Day After Tomorrow and The Good Girl, and I liked his performance on both movies, especially in The Good Girl, but he didn't stay on my mind or anything. After BBM, I couldn't get him off my head for a while. I felt silly and stupid having a crush on a 25 year old actor, who probably won't even look at me if I ever come to see him in person.

I think his eyes were what made me feel so attracted to him. Jake knows how to convey feelings through his eyes. He did that a lot when playing Jack. I was amazed by how in some scenes I knew Jack was hurting just by the way he looked at Ennis. Not all actors are capable to do that.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.