Author Topic: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'  (Read 31234 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:26:08 pm »
Hi folks!

I came across this on YouTube yesterday and had to post it for all of you who haven't already seen it. Some wonderful person has posted the entirety of one of the best storylines of Brit soap 'Coronation Street'. It's gripping, sensitively handled and beautifully acted by the two young leads (Bruno Langley and Tina O'Brien) and deals with a teenager's coming out.

I don't want to say too much about the story and spoil it for new viewers, but basically it's set in Manchester in the UK, and concerns a very bright young 18 year old lad (Todd) who's decided to forego University in order to set up home with his 16 year old girlfriend (Sarah) and her young daughter by her first boyfriend. At this point in the story Sarah is pregnant with their child... and then her older brother Nick returns from his stint living in Canada.

Each part is less than 10 minutes long (the relevant scenes have been spliced together) and you really need to watch them in sequence to feel the full impact of the story. I challenge you not to be totally gripped by this...

PART 1

PART 2
&mode=related&search=
PART 3
&mode=related&search=
PART 4
&mode=related&search=
PART 5
&mode=related&search=
PART 6
&mode=related&search=
PART 7
&mode=related&search=
PART 8
&mode=related&search=
PART 9
&mode=related&search=
PART 10
&mode=related&search=
PART 11
&mode=related&search=
PART 12
&mode=related&search=
PART 13
&mode=related&search=
PART 14
&mode=related&search=
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline saucycobblers

Re: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 02:17:06 pm »
Do the bump! 8)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:28 pm »
oooh! i might sit and watch this again!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:29:45 am »
You won't be disappointed Kelda! I was completely hooked and I already knew what happened in the end. Watching the edited version of the story made it an even more intense experience. Bruno Langley is such a superb actor, and I was moved to tears several times.

Let me know what you think!  :)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:59:10 am »
I did enjoy this, Nicky, thanks for putting it up, and I certainly don't watch any television series normally.  It does help to have it all put together into its own two-hour standalone story.  I got started one weeknight...and watched the whole thing in one sitting! ("I'll just take one more, they're so small...")  And last night...I watched half of them again!  Of course as a United Statesian I could have claimed I was taking a language course...and you have to review your language skills if you don't want to lose them.

There must have been a little more lead-in before the first section, more of the Todd and Sarah and her mother story?  One thing that I don't feel was adequately scripted was what led up to Todd's first kiss.  But it got better and better, and Karl's part was very well written and acted.  Todd's mum was excellent too, and the whole thing would almost have been worth it for her line, "Men!  You can't trust any of them.  You know, one man in a couple is bad enough, but the thought of two of them, one on either side, I just dread to think!" 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:08:13 am by Andrew »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:48:40 am »
I love that line too Andrew  :). Eileen (Todd's mum) is a wonderful character - I always enjoy any storyline involving her. I'm so glad you decided to watch  :D - told ya it was addictive!!

In real time Todd and Nick's first kiss had a longer build up, because of course watching it like this you miss all the stuff where the characters are discussed by other characters but the characters themselves aren't there.

So the Manchester accents didn't give you too much trouble then? ;)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:22:10 pm »
I think there is a completely slurred line in every episode which I just can't make out at all, but I get the bulk of the dialog.  Last year I was working through Jonathan Harvey's plays and I found a good online dictionary of British slang which helped a lot.  I enjoy that accent and it adds so much flavor and place to the story. 

I went to Youtube and did searches; there are a few other bits of related episodes with these characters that filled in a few other things.  And there are a lot of Todd and Karl tribute videos with various songs - a lot of people have felt the chemistry between those two! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:29:12 pm by Andrew »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 08:38:27 am »
And there are a lot of Todd and Karl tribute videos with various songs - a lot of people have felt the chemistry between those two! 

They did have great chemistry didn't they? That last scene between them kills me every time... :'(

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:03:33 pm »
I'm gonna be checking out all the video links tonight.  :)

Thank you Nicky!  :-*

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
Nicky, can I use you for a cribsheet / pony / foreign language instructor? ;)

I can't make out what Todd says in the fourth episode right at 8 minutes, in the pub after Todd hangs up and Karl says, 'Aw, sweet!'   Todd says something like 'make a deal of it'  And Karl in reply says, 'I like pasta.  Doesn't mean I eat it every day'!!! What was that in response to?

(You can tell I am starting to get fixated on this story when I don't want to miss even one line)

Sometimes it seems you have to know the slang even before you hear it so you can make the sounds into words. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:28:42 pm by Andrew »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 01:59:59 pm »
Thanks for posting this Nicky.

I'll watch this tomorrow, when i hope to have some peace and quiet in the house! I'll have my hanky ready!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 05:55:47 pm »
Nicky, can I use you for a cribsheet / pony / foreign language instructor? ;)

I can't make out what Todd says in the fourth episode right at 8 minutes, in the pub after Todd hangs up and Karl says, 'Aw, sweet!'   Todd says something like 'make a deal of it'  And Karl in reply says, 'I like pasta.  Doesn't mean I eat it every day'!!! What was that in response to?

(You can tell I am starting to get fixated on this story when I don't want to miss even one line)

Heehee... so I'm responsible for starting another obsession am I Andrew?  ;) You never know, we may have ourselves a little sub-forum going on Bettermost soon!

I hope I've got the right line here, but Todd's line inbetween those you mention is " 'Appen well I do love her" (I think, though the beginning of the line is hard to make out). The word 'appen (an abreviation of 'happen') is used a lot in the north of England, but not as you'd normally use the word 'happen' - more as an emphasis on what follows, e.g. " 'appen I'd like a cup of tea now" means the same as "I'd really like a cup of tea now". Todd's obviously embarassed about telling Sarah he loves her in front of Karl & is justifying himself.

Then again, I'm a lanky southerner, so any proper Mancunians feel free to shoot me down like a dog on that one... :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:31 pm »
Oh I wish I had digital Internet. I hate my dial-up connection!  >:(

If these segments are only 10 minutes long apiece, I still might try to watch them. It sounds wonderful!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 06:13:40 pm »
Oh I wish I had digital Internet. I hate my dial-up connection!  >:(

If these segments are only 10 minutes long apiece, I still might try to watch them. It sounds wonderful!  :)

I'm so sorry you're having trouble seeing it David!  :'( I'm sure you'd love the story. It's beautifully done.

Offline Toast

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:10 pm »
Worth the effort David
I'm a devout Coronation Street fan here in Canada
and watching that story in real time as it developed was hearbreaking but incredibly realistic.
takes you alll over the map of being a gay person caught up in wanting to be straight.

Incredible story.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 06:48:57 pm »
Hi Nicky and Toast!!

I will definitely watch them. This sounds like a really good story and something I would like.

It may take awhile for me to watch them with dial-up, but I'll let you all know once I've seen it. Thanks so much for recommending this to all of us!  :D

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 07:44:39 pm »
I've only had time for the first 4 (well, 3-1/2 because the phone rang), but I'm hooked.  :) 

My favorite line (so far) came from Sarah's mother regarding the pregnancy, something like:  "She's stupider that I thought."  (I probably got the quote wrong, but the gist is there.)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 11:50:21 pm »
I just saw Part 1 .. I think I remember seeing parts of it on TV a while ago.

13 to go ..  :D

Offline Fran

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 12:58:13 am »
Thanks, Nicky, for bringing this to our attention.  It is a very compelling story and, as you said, very well acted.   

I think my favorite character is Todd's mother.  Todd is fortunate to have such a loving and understanding mother, one who doesn't care what the busybody neighbors think.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 05:42:47 am »
I loved it!! All 14 parts of it!  :D
Something tells me I'll be re-watching them again very soon!
That Todd is a cutie, isn't he?  ;)
Cheers Nicky for posting this .. and Andrew for sending me this way! 

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 08:19:55 am »
Fran & Lucise - I'm so glad you both enjoyed it!  :D Like you said Fran, Eileen, Todd's mum, is brilliant. When one of her kids gets attacked she's like a lioness defending her cubs.

That Todd is a cutie, isn't he?  ;)

He's gorgeous isn't he? Here's a pic of the lovely Bruno Langley just for you Milli... :-*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:02 am »

I think my favorite character is Todd's mother.  Todd is fortunate to have such a loving and understanding mother, one who doesn't care what the busybody neighbors think.  :)

I just finished watching this, all 14 episodes! It was great. Thanks for posting this link Nicky. And I agree Fran, that mum is the best.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Fran

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:11 am »
...Eileen, Todd's mum, is brilliant. When one of her kids gets attacked she's like a lioness defending her cubs.

This is the perfect description of her.  Well said, Nicky.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:27 am »
I like the fact that it's so character-driven.  It's clear why Todd, with that 'intensity', that dogged attachment to what he believes to be his duty, that tendency to spin around and around in his thoughts without getting anywhere new, is fascinated by the mercurial, flexible, opportunistic and quick-thinking Karl.  Even Robbie is not just a jealous violent lover.  Karl's dodging and feinting were clearly driving him crazy just as much as Todd, weren't they?  In that short scene where he is first introduced to Todd, Karl in turn acts wronged simple dignity, makes Robbie smile by flattering his physical fitness, and warns him he's not intimidated, he'll be coming home when he's good and ready.  Robbie can hardly be satisfied by that clever mix, and he isn't.  Karl is a genius at making Todd and others feel safe when he wants that ('just because you kissed a bloke doesn't mean you're gay', and then somehow making Todd make secure spending so much time with an out gay man even with Nick always around).  And then, making them feel at risk by teasingly drawing back ('Well, that's the question, isn't it?')  Also ready at a moment's notice to drop the joking and put on his best manners. 

Yet he is fascinated by Todd as a complementary half too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:29:14 am by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 12:46:37 pm »
Nicky!  Bruno there is lovely .. must be the eyes and lips!  8) 
I found myself agreeing with Karl wholeheartedly when he told Todd .."I almost forgot how beautiful your eyes are.." ..

I think both characters Todd and Karl where brilliantly played!
Great analysis there, Andrew!

- Karl was quite the tease .. he certainly knew all the buttons to push to keep Todd in a constant state of "awareness" of his dilemma.  One moment, he would say something to make Todd feel better about his situation .. then the next, he would counteract that with something that would drive Todd right back to his insecurities.  I really enjoyed the chemistry between the 2 actors - they really made it work!  :)

- I agree about Eileen, she was really wonderful about it and stood by her son!  Also, I found myself applauding Todd for the way he handled things when he came out - the way he talked to his brother, opening himself up to him and telling him how much he needed him, accepting to sleep on the sofa if he was uncomfortable with him around ..  He was very mature about things.  :)

- The scene at Billy's burial was heart-breaking ..

- Does anyone think that Karl messed with the elevator in order to be stuck with Todd in there for an hour?  :P  Paranoid, I know, but the thought did cross my mind ..

Offline Andrew

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:45 pm »

- Does anyone think that Karl messed with the elevator in order to be stuck with Todd in there for an hour?  :P  Paranoid, I know, but the thought did cross my mind ..

A few of them were speculating about that at Youtube under that clip.  I think he could only if done that if he had seen Todd going into the elevator (that is not shown) and hit emergency stop instead of his floor, and if the emergency stop took several seconds to take effect - after allowing the door to close normally.  All possible if a little improbable.  Or the stopping could have been real but he could have only pretended to hit the distress button.  But I prefer to think of him as a master opportunist instead...smiling that particular opportunist's smile when events arrange themselves just right on their own: as soon as it happened he saw how to put the time to account.  I give him credit for being a conscientious nurse who would not have deliberately cut himself off from his patients for an indeterminate time.  And whatever else he may already be thinking he really doesn't want to lose a friend to homophobia.

Still, the ambiguity adds a nice angle, doesn't it?  With his love of fun Karl would get a laugh out of having a reputation such that he would be suspected of something like that he was actually quite innocent of.

If Karl was innocent...it shows how quick he is to accept things as they are, and how much slower Todd is to do that...'I can't stay here for two hours!'  A fitting symbol of bigger things in their lives.

All right, I will put my microscope away now.  Really!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:03:59 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:42 pm »
Whether he caused it or not, I love the chat they had in the elevator... That is when Todd began falling, IMO.
 Karl was able to make Todd relax enough to actually tell him that he had kissed his fiance's brother!  That is something!  :)

Offline Fran

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 03:19:21 pm »
Todd was clearly so uncomfortable in the elevator that I was surprised that he sat down on the same side of the elevator as Karl.  I half expected him to sit all the way across on the other side.

As to whether Karl had anything to do with the elevator's malfunctioning:  I think it was just fate, with things happening the way they were supposed to.  :)

Fran

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »

As to whether Karl had anything to do with the elevator's malfunctioning:  I think it was just fate, with things happening the way they were supposed to.  :)

That is probably the case Fran .. :)  Still, the thought did cross my mischievous little mind ..  ;)

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 06:45:13 pm »
Andrew, please don't abandon your microscope! Your insights are really illuminating and it's great to get a gay man's perspective on the characters and the story - you've noticed things that would just pass me by... :)

- The scene at Billy's burial was heart-breaking ..

This is one of my favourite scenes Milli - the connection between Sarah and Todd is so strong here - and I forget the characters are supposed to only be 16 and 18 (the actors themselves aren't that much older, believe it or not). The storyline is so complex and has so many layers.

And I love the way that both characters mature as the story unfolds - that last scene between Karl and Todd is wonderful - you can see that Todd has travelled on an incredible journey and is now a mature man. Spoken by lesser actors those lines could've made you wince, but the scene totally works, and is heartbreaking and yet joyful at the same time.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 08:17:07 pm »
And I love the way that both characters mature as the story unfolds - that last scene between Karl and Todd is wonderful - you can see that Todd has travelled on an incredible journey and is now a mature man. Spoken by lesser actors those lines could've made you wince, but the scene totally works, and is heartbreaking and yet joyful at the same time.

You've said it Nicky!  :)

You could definitely see the confidence in Todd in that last scene.  You could tell that he really meant it when he said that he didnt want anyone to step all over him.  Karl must've been so proud of him.  I kinda felt sad when they part ways .. During some parts of the show, I felt like Karl was pressuring Todd too much with the 'mind games' he seemed to be playing, but I could also see where Karl was coming from.  They were both young, both attracted to each other, both desperately trying to handle the situation at hand, both learning along the way .. At the end, I was sad to see them go their separate ways.

I loved it when Karl said.."My mate with the beautiful eyes.." .. sweet..  :)

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
They were both young, both attracted to each other, both desperately trying to handle the situation at hand, both learning along the way .. At the end, I was sad to see them go their separate ways.

I loved it when Karl said.."My mate with the beautiful eyes.." .. sweet..  :)

It was sweet, and like I said, in the hands of a lesser actor...

I was also so sad to see them part. I think it was first real love for both of them, you could tell from their faces...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 10:19:32 pm »
I was also so sad to see them part. I think it was first real love for both of them, you could tell from their faces...

Agreed!  agreed ..  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 11:51:55 pm »
I'm downloading the first segment right now!  :D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 02:55:55 am »
Here are a few more T/K clips not included in the series...

Very interesting bar scene ..  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwVrCdSipM

'Come out now..'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXDQ0E9BGQ

Another scene with Todd/Sarah and Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5SK_7Oqlg

After that first kiss on Canal Street .. (back in the club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BRIsZQG-o

The morning after ..

It's Goodbye ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHVPSsxyEks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:35:25 am by Lucise »

Offline Fran

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 12:24:26 pm »
Thanks, Milli, for taking the time to post the extra clips.  :)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 01:38:04 pm »
I found a site that summarizes every scene with Todd and Karl in it.   It has downloads as well, of some new scenes.  A lot of things have even more meaning in the context of the additional scenes.

http://www.chrisfinchluvr.co.uk/toddandkarl/

Thank you Lucise for posting all those extra scenes.  Some things do pick up meaning the second time I see them.  For instance, that 'Face Lift' episode.  Basically Karl is just trying to get Todd to lighten up by telling him about the patient with the overdone face lift.  But on another level, I think he is reminding him how people can become ridiculous when they try too hard to be what they are not.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:11:53 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 01:44:45 am »
Andrew ~  Cheers for the link to that site!!  :D 

I am going through the videos and the story makes so much more sense now with all the new scenes!
I am eventually going to watch all the videos posted on there.
This is great! (not to mention. addictive!)  ;)

Thanks!

~M

Offline Andrew

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 01:56:42 pm »
One set that was really good from that Chris Finch (Karl) site I linked to above, was the entire set of scenes of Todd's coming out to Eileen, which were not all included in the Youtube set.  That script gave Sue Cleaver an excellent opportunity to show some of the complexity of what Eileen felt about herself, Todd and Sarah.

The Youtube series makes a more compact feature-length film, whereas the other clips provide the sort of additional scenes everybody wants their favorite movies to have when they see them again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:03:31 pm by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 02:29:55 pm »

I hope I've got the right line here, but Todd's line in between those you mention is " 'Appen well I do love her"

Thanks Nicky, I would never have gotten that no matter how many times I replayed it.  Those vowels are a minefield, 'do love her' did sound so much like 'deal of her'! The next time I will see through those words' ingenious disguises...

Offline Andrew

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:46 pm »
For any of you Northerners (UK) who liked Bruno Langley as Todd...there are recent reports that he is working for the time being as a bartender in the Atlas Bar in Manchester.   Who knows if it is true or a publicity trick? Or simple misidentification?  I know most British actors count themselves lucky to get one acting job a year.  Bruno did do a long tour last year of the play A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney, which is set in Salford.  I suppose he is having to fight being only considered for Greater Manchester roles.

If it is true he is at the bar, I suppose anyone in he area now has the chance to give him an appreciative word.  Or an extravagant tip.  Or just peep shyly. 

Offline Fran

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:26 pm »
I found a site that summarizes every scene with Todd and Karl in it.   It has downloads as well, of some new scenes.  A lot of things have even more meaning in the context of the additional scenes.

Thanks, Andrew.  This is great! 
Biggest surprise for me (and definitely for Todd's mum, too):  Sarah and Jason....  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 05:00:00 am »
I am *so* loving going through the videos and getting a better insight into the relationship between Todd and Karl.
I really like the "Goodbye Karl" scenes .. I have replayed it over and over like 4 times.
It feels so real ..  :)

The "sink pinning" and "door pinning" scenes are fun too!  ;D

Ok, I better get back to it.

Night!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:16 pm »
Milli, it's such a balm to find out that someone else is enjoying this as much as I am.  You too, Fran!  I didn't realize until this week how ready I was for a fresh obsession.   Maybe, as an unconscious anniversary celebration of that other one which will never grow old. 

I spent much of Saturday watching all the videos on the Chris Finch site.  What I wonder at is how the dialog can be so ordinary yet so in character to the speaker, so consistently, even in the little scraps.  The very first scene on that site is the conversation in the canteen about the concert the night before, when Todd asks 'Why did they have to have it so loud?' - and Karl wonders that he sounds like an old man.  The hint of Todd as being what Eileen calls him much later - my sensitive son - slipped in.  And used to and loving the quiet of home already at his young age. 

And then in that Goodbye Karl scene, when Todd talks about when he was a boy and went to the camp in the Peaks and was so homesick.  It is his analogy for coming out and never realizing how close he always was, how hard and far he thought it would be.  But it just like Todd to think of that analogy - seeing his home from a new spot.

Yes, I love that scene Milli.  It is so natural.  The way Todd takes up his plate when they are inside, and jokes.  That indescribable blend of vanishing awkwardness between them, and gratitude and peace and acceptance.  It is not a heavy-handed this or that to the story.  It is not necessarily a final goodbye, just a particular closing, as they find themselves experiencing it at that particular time.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:18:27 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 02:30:23 am »
Andrew ~  You said it, this is a fresh obsession!  Too right! 
Dang, will I ever get anything done away from the computer?  ;D

For me, one of the big things with these lads is that they have chemistry on-screen!  It feels believable .. the way they look at each other, their body language, etc. .. it is just right.

I came across a Todd/Karl forum online and it was interesting to read what people think about them and their relationship.  Some people thought Karl was a user who preyed on poor Todd; some thought he was the opposite; some thought he was just what Todd needed to get him to face his true self.  But I believe that the story is so much more than musings about who is bad/good .  Karl was not perfect, neither was Todd .. just like Jack & Ennis were imperfect as well .. I think it is so easy to lose sight of the point of the story when one is busy taking sides...

This story has gotten into me bad .. I am hopelessly hooked now ..  ::)..argh..
But boy, it feels good!  ;)

Oh and another thing ..
"Whats the story" with Karl's favorite white tee-shirt?   ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:56 pm »
The "sink pinning" and "door pinning" scenes are fun too!  ;D

In the door pinning scene, there is a third hand flat against the door beside both of Karl's, pushing it shut while it is being pulled open: Todd's left hand!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2007, 09:23:49 pm »
Oh and another thing ..
"Whats the story" with Karl's favorite white tee-shirt?   ;D

I want that shirt!  Except I'm not sassy enough to pull it off (the wearing of the shirt.  Let alone the shirt itself!)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 10:25:33 pm »
I love that cute little character study early on when Todd has invited Karl to join him and his work mates for a drink , #12 at

Todd is so serious, so deep in the notion of duty that he is taken in by Karl's sly teasing.  He is easily made to feel he has overlapping obligations, not only to his fiancee to leave early but to his friends such that he has to pay them a  tax for leaving before buyng his round.  And the men he is choosing to hang out with are old enough to call him 'son' (very kindly). 

It's like the earlier scene at the canteen, when he sounds like Karl's idea of an old man (or like Karl's father) - not liking loud music, preferring quiet family life.  And the porter's job he thought to apply for - the other man we see in that uniform is much older.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:25 am »
In the door pinning scene, there is a third hand flat against the door beside both of Karl's, pushing it shut while it is being pulled open: Todd's left hand!

Yeah,  I know!
I noted last night that he has very lovely hands ..  :D

I want that shirt!  Except I'm not sassy enough to pull it off (the wearing of the shirt.  Let alone the shirt itself!)

Come on Andrew!  Sure you can!
If I get 2 of those t-shirts made: 1 for you and 1 for me, would you wear it then?
I am serious ..  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:02:15 am by Lucise »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:10 am »
I love that cute little character study early on when Todd has invited Karl to join him and his work mates for a drink , #12 at

Dear ol' Todd - he carries the world on his little shoulders...always so concerned, careful not to hurt anyone's feelings.
With that kind of personality, it makes you realize just how much it took for him to have an affair with Karl, how desperate he must've been .. all the while tortured by guilt and the fear of being found out; and especially the fear of hurting Sarah.

You know who Todd reminds me of in some ways?  Our Aaron from Latter Days .. their simple innocence just breaks my heart ..  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 02:35:56 am »
Some trivia(Courtesy of brunolangleyfans.co.uk) & pix..   8)

Bruno and Coronation Street co star Chris Finch filmed the scenes revolving around Todd's momentous kiss with Karl on Canal Street in Manchester on March 16th 2004. The kiss was filmed in front of a crowd of thousands who cheered them on. Bruno revealed later how he was given the seal of approval by a 6ft tall drag queen! Bruno says: "He, or she, was known as The Door Whore and looked totally over the top with green hair and huge platform high heels. I got the thumbs up and thought, 'I've been accepted. I must be making a good job of this'."

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:19:08 am by Lucise »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 08:53:23 am »
Oh man, and to think I thought this thread was gonna be a dead duck to start with! :P

Thanks guys, for bringing your insights to the story - I just have to put some time aside from RL to catch up on the video watching and then I can get back into the debate. Y'all move too fast for me! (Maybe we should put the breaks on? Only kidding - couldn't resist that one  ;)).

I also haven't seen Latter Days yet, and so many people on the board have been raving about it. As my dad used to say "I haven't got time for work with all my hobbies!".

Offline Andrew

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30:17 am »
Come on Andrew!  Sure you can!
If I get 2 of those t-shirts made: 1 for you and 1 for me, would you wear it then?
I am serious ..  8)

Definitely!  Oh no, I was starting to get a similar idea but you posted it first! 

I have to think the t-shirts were originally made for the Oasis album.  That album must still have been appreciated in their native town, Manchester, in 2004, even though it was from 1995.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 09:35:01 am »
You know who Todd reminds me of in some ways?  Our Aaron from Latter Days .. their simple innocence just breaks my heart ..  :)
That's what I called the LD dymamic which I thought you might find sympathetic.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 01:11:38 pm »
Definitely!  Oh no, I was starting to get a similar idea but you posted it first! 

That's settled then..!
I'm gonna look into getting 2 of them made for us!  :D
I'll keep you posted!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 01:12:50 pm »
Oh man, and to think I thought this thread was gonna be a dead duck to start with! :P

Dead duck..?  Heck no!  ;D
Bless you dear lady, for giving me yet another reason to be glued to my computer when I oughta be doing other things .. ::)

:-*

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:54 pm »
Bless you dear lady, for giving me yet another reason to be glued to my computer when I oughta be doing other things .. ::)

Heehee  :-*. If only my desk at work faced in the opposite direction I could get so much more illicit Bettermosting done!  >:(

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:47 pm »
Doing a BUMP ..
I won't let this thread be buried under piles of others ..

Corrie's Big controversial kiss!

What was so controversial about a 2 sec kiss anyway?   ::) :P

Offline Andrew

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 02:49:18 pm »
Lucise, I hope you don't mind my posting the first fruits of your new obsession over in this thread, from yours.
They are wonderful !

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:22 pm »

Heehe.. my new obsession .. too true!   8)
And of course I don't mind!    ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2007, 06:48:59 pm »
Hey Andrew ..

Look what I did this afternoon ..  :D

(The smaller one is mine ..  :P)

What do you think?  ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
I can't believe this!  You know wearing that t-shirt is going to transform my personality!  I can't wait! Did you actually...make them? They're totally authentic as anybody can see from your fan art on the page before.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:02:56 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:57 am »
I can't believe this!  You know wearing that t-shirt is going to transform my personality!  I can't wait! Did you actually...make them? They're totally authentic as anybody can see from your fan art on the page before.

They look pretty authentic, don't they?!   :D

I bought the tees and got the letters printed on!  There is a cute little store in one of the malls near me that prints tees!
I could've actually sat on my sewing machine and embroidered these but that would've lacked the "instant gratification/wow" factor of seeing them after they are done!  :P

Can't wait to wear mine either!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:57:45 am by Lucise »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2007, 09:47:21 am »
Printed is much more authentic than embroidered would've been anyway!

Offline Fran

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2007, 01:01:56 pm »
Milli,

Those side-by-side T-shirts made me smile.  Good work.  You are good.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2007, 01:32:04 pm »
Printed is much more authentic than embroidered would've been anyway!

Agreed!  8)

Milli,

Those side-by-side T-shirts made me smile.  Good work.  You are good.

Hehe..
What's it they say about little pleasures in life?
This is one of those things for me ..  ;)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2007, 01:46:01 pm »
I have been reflecting on a beautiful, simple little sequence of shots, lasting just a few seconds, at the critical moment when Todd decides he can't bear his misery alone any longer and goes to see his mother.

But before I get into that in the next post, here are a few critical screencaps from the scene immediately before my scene. 

These are from the beginning of the Youtube 'Todd's story - 8', and on the Stuart's Scene listing it's 100).  This is Todd, finding at eighteen that all the sweetness of life has suddenly gone to wormwood.  And in that state of mind when he is absolutely compelled to question Karl even though he knows in advance how devastating its effect on himself is going to be.  To paraphrase Jane Austen, he is left with 'all the satisfaction of having made Karl say what would give no one any pain but himself.'

Meanwhile,  Karl is flipping his water bottle and his eyebrows up at the same time...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:55:08 pm by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2007, 02:37:54 pm »
Here's the little transitional scene I love.

A little scene with no words.

It's in 'Todd's story - 8', when it comes right after the scene above, but it's missing from the series on Stuart's Scene Listing.

Here's Todd coming through a dark passage with a patch of light far behind him...

...and catches sight of his mam walking away from him towards her house.  She didn't see him ...

...and he continues back on his way for a few more seconds...

...She's almost out of sight now, back home...

Offline Andrew

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2007, 03:03:28 pm »
...and in the next scene he is startling her by walking in her front door, unexpected.

I hate to spoil that little moment with words.  But it has a beautiful economy, and it has the plainness and clarity of the best popular art.  His mam, who is now going to walk away more into her own life as his upcoming marriage puts him more into his own.  The sudden idea of going to her freely, because he needs to, even though she is preoccupied with her own normal daily concerns like the groceries.   --Not, as often in the past,  dealing with her because she is coming to him to put some demand on him.  She is going the other way, he must act at once, she can only help him if he takes action on his own.  The opportunity will only be there for a few seconds, she is about to turn into the house and disappear, as his chosen life is about to close in all around him.  She has not seen him, she does not know he is standing there and she does not know what he now knows, who he really is, unless he tells her himself.

MAM!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2007, 03:44:24 pm »
Cheers for those caps Andrew and for the wonderful analysis of those scenes!  ;)

This picture below of Todd is wonderful.  Whenever I watch this scene, I marvel at the expressions on Bruno's face.  The way his eyes show just how much Todd's heart is breaking.  He almost breaks down in tears when he asks Karl, "Why are you doing this to me?" - his pain is so palpable at that point.  Bruno is a fantastic actor.   :)

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:58 pm »
I also love this little scene. I could absolutely watch Bruno Langley's face 24/7, and not just cos he's so purty  ;). He barely needs to do anything to communicate what Todd is feeling.

This is Todd, finding at eighteen that all the sweetness of life has suddenly gone to wormwood.

This made me chuckle Andrew. You see there's a prison called Wormwood Scrubs in London, and at this point his life must feel like a prison. And of course he works in a hospital and medical staff uniforms are called 'scrubs'. And that pic kinda looks like a visitors room in a prison dontcha think? See how one little word can made my overactive piscean imagination go "wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

Man, I have WAY too much time on my hands... ::)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 07:42:48 pm »
I also love this little scene. I could absolutely watch Bruno Langley's face 24/7, and not just cos he's so purty  ;). He barely needs to do anything to communicate what Todd is feeling.

Here here.  He is beautiful, aint he?  8)

I can't pick which Todd scene I love best ..
Guh, I'm obsessed ..  ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2007, 11:47:17 am »
Nicky - his life really has become a prison at that point, hasn't it?

We become receptive to symbols, a kind of surcharged meaning, when our feelings are surcharged too.  All one can say for certain on the scene of Todd's seeing his mother is that they were showing him realizing he had an opportunity of talking to her right at that moment because he could see she would be at home.  But Todd's feelings are full at that point, ours are full to the extent that we sympathize, and in film we are forced to intuit what is behind the subtly stirring face.

An intuition of a symbol is just a kind of flash which is betrayed as soon as you try to put it into words.  We barely know what we feel when our feelings are intense, but we do feel partly in symbols.  An unusual image, like the retreating back of a loved one who does not know we are nearby, is an invitation to our feelings to produce an unaccustomed symbol. a tiny lightning flash which illuminates ourselves for a moment, without our really being able to say how we were illuminated.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:53:47 am by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2007, 01:38:26 pm »
That entire Todd Coming Out series from that Chris Finch site is amazing.

It is hard to watch at times because you really feel Todd's pain, but that is what makes it so good.
At that point, he was certain Karl was done with him, what with Karl telling him he was out all night and not sleeping till 5 am and all that.  ;)
He tells his mom about Karl and how that relationship began ..
And then not too long afterwards, as the conversation progresses, we see him trying to "undo" his confessions by saying things like..
"I love Sarah, I'm gonna make it work .. Yeah, you're right, one kiss and I'm in love .. Besides, he can't care for me - he won't be seeing other lads if he did.. They're all the same .." and so on.  He got all his grief off his chest and you would think that would bring him closer to self-acceptance .. instead he wishes harder to fix things, to make things work with Sarah, he's even willing to quit his job in attempt to keep away from karl ..  :)  So many times I just wish I could get in there and give him a hug .. *sigh*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:06 pm »
A note to all:

Karl's Birthday is on Thursday, April 12th !!
:D ;D

I'll wear my new t-shirt and have a pint for him on that day, for sure!  8)
(Yes, I do have a life .. in case you are wondering .. LOL)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 08:37:10 pm »
Thanks for the reminder!...That date had only registered unconsciously (it is in the script) whereas now I will actually put it on my calendar!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:25 pm »
I could not resist making one more wallpaper ..  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2007, 09:53:31 pm »
Thanks for the reminder!...That date had only registered unconsciously (it is in the script) whereas now I will actually put it on my calendar!!

:D  I knew you'd appreciate the reminder Andrew!  Obsession loves company!  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:14 pm »
Wow Milli! That wallpaper looks great!  :D

I wish I could do that. I don't think I have the talent nor the patience. I'm glad you do though, and I'm happy you are willing to share it with us!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2007, 11:37:19 pm »
Cheers David!  :-*

Did you check out the Todd/Karl videos?  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2007, 11:52:39 pm »
Cheers David!  :-*

Did you check out the Todd/Karl videos?  :D

No I didn't. They are taking WAY too long to load. I'm on dial-up!

I'll watch them the next time I visit my Dad!  :D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »
No I didn't. They are taking WAY too long to load. I'm on dial-up!
I'll watch them the next time I visit my Dad!  :D

I know.  Dial-up is not the way to go with these videos because it'll take ages to download!
Definitely check them out when you get a chance!  ;)

I don't know if I posted this before or not, but there is a 3-part series of videos posted on this vid sharing site, called:
Todd's Story.   Check 'em out.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2007, 03:10:59 am »
Can't forget the lads ..
Bump Bump!   8)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2007, 04:11:03 pm »
That's just about it, isn't it?  When Todd is away from Karl, it's all clear.  He knows he can go to Karl and apologize, say he never wanted anything more than to be friends.  All very straightforward.  But when Todd is right next to Karl...things get fuzzy and gray! 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2007, 07:24:46 pm »
That's just about it, isn't it?  When Todd is away from Karl, it's all clear.  He knows he can go to Karl and apologize, say he never wanted anything more than to be friends.  All very straightforward.  But when Todd is right next to Karl...things get fuzzy and gray! 

:D :D
You read my mind Andrew!  Or you read the picture the way I wanted to portray it!
When there is a distance between them, everything is relatively "well" or so Todd thinks .. but once the gap is closed (as in the pictures in the middle and the hug) everything starts to "fall apart" all over again .. "too close for comfort ; best kept in the shadows" and like you said: fuzzy and gray !

Wow ..  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:32:50 pm by Lucise »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2007, 09:36:22 pm »
That Little Teasin' Scene At The Bar

( In still-shot format, for the people with dialup who aren't able to see the video links.  And for me too!) 

Karl: Anyone fancy goin' out for a bite to eat later?  I'm starvin' !

Jeff: Sounds good to me.

Todd: I can't, I have to go after this.
Karl:   It's only half-six!

Todd: Yeah I know, but I said I could only manage a quick one.

Karl: Uh..yeah!  Dave got the first round, Jeff got the next, I got these, so you're sneakin' off just when it's your round!

Todd: Yeah.  Sorry! My round next time!

Karl: Oh no, too easy!  How we going to remember that? Is someone going to keep notes? 

Todd: Maybe if we added up all three rounds, then divided it by four, we'd know how much each of us should have spent.  Then I could give each of you enough to balance out, so it's equal.  That'd work, wou'nt it?

Karl: Sounds good to me.  Here's a pen.  You can do your sums.

Karl: (inaudible to Jeff and Dave as Todd gets started)

Jeff: It's all right son, he's havin' you on!

Todd: Awwww!  Wha'ever !!

Karl: Your round next time, mind.

Todd: Yeah, I won't forget.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:55:27 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2007, 12:30:55 am »
Cheers Andrew.
I love Karl's face in that last picture ..  :)  He seems quite taken with Todd..
Good ol Todd, always so intense and serious and unwilling to offend anyone!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2007, 01:04:29 am »
I am liking the new avatar Andrew! 
I would put Todd on mine too if you hadn't beat me to it!  :P

This is a BUMP!  8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2007, 11:53:20 am »
Howdy!

Great to see another person has discovered Karl and Todd!    8)
Welcome mate!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »

Helloo!

I am doing a Bump not just for Bump's sake but because I still check out my T/K videos every few days..Still loving those lads! 
Still wanting to keep this thread alive... 8)

Andrew, where are ya?  ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2007, 08:27:57 am »
I must have a look at home (can't access you tube at work) to see if I can find any clips of Hollyoaks (another British soap), where there is currently another teen gay storyline going on.

Think it would make an interesting contrast against this one....

Nicky - have you been watching it? with John Paul, Craig and Spike?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2007, 03:49:09 pm »
There is definitely a you tube fanbase of the John paul is gay storyline... some of them are:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dawneh
[rl]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=princessconsuela1456[/url]

This one is particularly good....and has put 14 videos up that do not include music - just the dialogue...

This is the last few episode clips of the storyline - its taken months to get to this stage but no-one on you tube seems to be as organised with the clips as the Todd clips person.... but wikipedia has a really good run down of the story so far http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John-Paul_McQueen

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNsNAkHUmDc[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqgXx1E30Q[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMgSblk3Dw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDfz5MFo5IM[/youtube]