Author Topic: A Ninth Viewing Observation  (Read 258151 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A Ninth Viewing Observation
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:08:55 am »
Well, I'll be damned if I didn't notice something that never registered before on my ninth viewing last night.

When Jack and Lureen are at the table with Randall and LaShawn, shortly after Randall gives Jack that long "come hither" look and just as Lureen's starting to say, "Husbands... don't never seem to wanna dance with their wives.  Why do you think that is, Jack?", he's spilling something on himself - his drink, I think, a la the beans/can opener incident early on when Ennis is shirtless and about to bathe.  It's the same hand movement - shaking the hand off - and disgust with himself as before.  I guess this is because he's unnerved at realizing that Randall is coming on to him.  And of course, there's the "So... you wanna dance?" and looking dead-on at Randall first, then glancing at LaShawn right afterwards.  That I'd seen before, but not the spillage.  Amazing.  Not a single moment of this masterpiece is unintentional.  Not a one.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A Ninth Viewing Observation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 11:33:09 am »
Good observation!  I like the idea that it parallels the bean can incident.  In both cases, yeah, he's being distracted by a guy/ flirting, etc. 

I love Jack's awkwardness at moments like this.  It's adorable.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:32:36 pm »
Good observation!  I like the idea that it parallels the bean can incident.  In both cases, yeah, he's being distracted by a guy/ flirting, etc. 

I love Jack's awkwardness at moments like this.  It's adorable.

I agree.  And I swear I heard him mutter, "Shiiit," just like he did with the can of beans, as he was dusting his shirt in that last spilling scene.  I also loved how, when he's peeling the potato and willing himself not to steal a glance at the naked, bathing Ennis, he heaves out an audible (but not over the top) sigh before he takes an almost spiteful puff on the cigarette.  Beautiful, beautiful.
No more beans!

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 02:43:26 pm »
Oh, yeeess, another thing to look for! Awesome.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 08:30:44 pm »
Actually, at the dance with Randall... I think Jack ashes on himself with his cigarette... I don't think he spills his drink.  But, I think the meaning of this little mishap is still the same as the bean can/ Ennis moment.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:40:47 am »
Actually, at the dance with Randall... I think Jack ashes on himself with his cigarette... I don't think he spills his drink.  But, I think the meaning of this little mishap is still the same as the bean can/ Ennis moment.

Yep - I couldn't remember whether it was the drink or the cigarette, but one way or another, I noticed him dusting off the shirt and saying "Shit" just like before.  Could have been a true accident, but I doubt it.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 06:32:37 pm »
Ednbarby -

"So... you wanna dance?" and looking dead-on at Randall first, then glancing at LaShawn right afterwards.

I'd read that previously & looked for it, but I saw it exactly the opposite.  I saw Jack look directly at LaShawn & then to Randall & ask his approval.

I will watch it again tonight - 

And I do think it was ashes from his cigarette, but WHAT is the meaning?... 
But, I think the meaning of this little mishap is still the same
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 07:30:59 pm »
I'm fairly certain he's looking directly at Randall when he first says "You wanna dance?" and that there's even a minute flinch on Randall's part as if he's thinking "He didn't just do that, did he?" and then they both look at LaShawn.

Maybe the meaning in both the can spillage and the cigarette ashing is just that Jack gets disconcerted when he realizes another man he finds attractive might actually be flirting with him.

I actually found a much more interesting parallel on my most recent (12th, I guess?) viewing.  When Ennis and Jack say good-bye for the first time, notice how Jack is leaning on that opened truck door.  Shouldn't be hard for you since it's your avatar (excellent choice, by the way :)).  Now notice that at the beginning of the confrontation at the lake scene how he's leaning in that opened door of his truck - again.  Kind of equal but opposite.  :chills:
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 09:37:02 pm »
 Barb-

I'm with LJ on this. I went back and watched looking for this. He is preoccupied with his shirt as Lureen is commenting. He looks up, looks at LaShawn and then at Randall. Randall is taken aback because the invitation came out of the blue considering Jack's response about dancing. We'll check it out at the Castro next month...

O0

Heathen

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 09:43:01 pm »
Barb (hope that's right!)

Watched it again & when he actually poses the dance question - I see him looking directly at LaShawn, then to Randall.  Awhile before the dance question he & Randall exchanged a look.

Oh - see that RouxB & I were typing @ the same time.  Thanks, thought I was loosing it, but I even stopped the action to be sure.

LJ
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:46:02 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"