Author Topic: A Ninth Viewing Observation  (Read 258188 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A Ninth Viewing Observation
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2009, 03:17:10 pm »
I didn't mean that Ennis had hopes in the motel scene. I meant that Jack had.

Apart from that I agree with you re Ennis. I don't think that the idea of building a life with Jack
ever even occured to him.
He might have wished he could see Jack more often, but having a life with him? No, that wasn't
within Ennis's frame of reference.

I don't think Ennis married Alma and wanted to stay with her just out of convention. I think he really
wanted to have a family, what he had been bereft of at too early an age.

I think Ennis may have liked the idea of having a family in an abstract sense.  Yes, he wanted children and he liked the idea of fitting into the conventional picture of a family (I think a desire to conform to a kind of convention is a big part of this for Ennis).  But, I don't know how happy the reality of that lifestyle was for him.  Clearly his specific experience of living with Alma wasn't particularly joyful (for either of them).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:54 pm »
No, it wasn't particularly joyful for either of them.

But I don't think Ennis really expected anything better than that,
he wasn't a man with high expectations on life.
He settled for what he got. "I'll stick with beans".

Alma, otoh, wanted and expected something better, hence the divorce.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #302 on: December 03, 2009, 12:07:02 am »
I wonder why Jack left so easily in the post-divorce scene.  Watching this a few times, it seems like he kind of gave up without a fight.  Ennis gives a few lame excuses, the visitation with his girls, etc. and then Jack just say OK see you next month and leaves.  After driving all that way to stay for only a few minites?  Why not protest right then, or say meet up with you later, something.  It seems like his leaving was so abrupt.  This was such an awkward and heartbreaking scene.  The entire vibe of the movie changes after this.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:34 am »
I think he feels foolish, he has totally lept to a conclusion and he was off base. And I think he knew, Ennis would never commit.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2009, 12:32:41 am »
I think he feels foolish, he has totally lept to a conclusion and he was off base. And I think he knew, Ennis would never commit.

yeah, I think he tried to save some of his own pride. He must have felt pretty foolish standing there.

I think this is one of the most cruel scenes in the entire movie.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2009, 01:11:30 am »
Heya!
It's fun to see this thread seeing some new action. 8)

And, yes I agree that he probably left quickly because he felt foolish and super disappointed.  And, clearly he was also probably flat out mad at Ennis and/or so heartbroken that he may not have wanted to be in Ennis's presence too long.  Maybe the tears we see in the truck ride back south were already threatening and he didn't want to cry in front of Ennis.

And, yep, definitely a cruel scene.  The whole second half is so hard to watch sometimes.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline tango

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
Foolish and embarassed.  I think Jack thought Ennis wouldn't bother to send him a postcard saying he was divorced unless it meant something in regards to the two could now be togather or an invitation for him to come right away.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2009, 05:54:54 pm »
I agree. As I recall, we could see Jack's face turning a bit red, and then when he was in the car driving, it became more red and blotchy. Jake deserved the Oscar for this scene alone, IMHO.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2009, 05:58:21 pm »
Foolish and embarassed.  I think Jack thought Ennis wouldn't bother to send him a postcard saying he was divorced unless it meant something in regards to the two could now be togather or an invitation for him to come right away.
yeah, absolutely.
And just think of the hours Jack has spend driving to get there. 14 hours at least. Time enough to make up a lot of different scenarios and plans.
Poor, poor Jack.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2009, 10:35:00 pm »
It just seemed so abrupt, like he gave up so quickly.  I wonder why he did not say "are you kidding me?" or somehting to that effect, but I guess it had to be feelings he saved for that big blowup argument later on the mountain.  It was really heartbreaking.  The contrast of him singing in the car on the way up and then crying on the way back - so gut wrenching.