Author Topic: Music annalysis by Cody4343  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Music annalysis by Cody4343
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:53:08 am »
This is must read analysis that appeared on IMDb about a month ago - certainly a keeper

Ok, maybe this is just me being a nerdy English major who needs to analyze everything; or perhaps it's just me trying to find something positive in the ending, but I have a few ideas on the music of the film.

First: Santaolalla's score consists of one guitar and a pump organ; for the most part, Santaolalla picks the guitar- he does not strum chords; each note lingers before the next note is played; in all songs except one, the guitar are organ harmonize but are not playing the same notes; the guitar is the focus of the songs with the organ softly behind it. I see this symbolizing Jack and Ennis. You have the two men (gutiar=Ennis and organ=Jack); each are alone (picking the individual notes instead of strumming chords); but even when they are apart, they linger in each other's mind (the notes lingering). Although the movie is about both men, Ennis takes the foreground more than Jack (guitar being more prominent in the score). Although the two want to be together physically, they don't allow themselves to be (guitar and organ together harmonizing, but not playing the same music). Until the end: the last song after the closing scene has both the guitar and organ playing the same notes for the first time in the movie. I see it as Ennis finally accepting Jack. It's the first time Ennis allow Jack to be a part of him. It's all in how you interpret the last lines of the movie ("Jack, I swear..") but viewing it this way allows me to believe Ennis confronts everything and gives me hope that he will be ok. Changing direction a little: Jack's death allows him to finally "quit" Ennis; as much as his death pains me, I do see some comfort that Jack no longer has to agonize over Ennis- he is finally free. Again, we hear this in the music: the two instruments finally harmonize and play the same music.

I hope that made sense to anyone who read it. Again, not sure if any of that was Santaolalla's intentions, but it makes me happier to think about it that way. And like so many people on here, any positive thoughts about the movie will help be deal with the Brokeback Effect a little better.

It got deleated and reposted, cody4343 recently claimed to be the original poster, and I believe him

Roland a.k.a. roboy
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

texman

Re: Music annalysis by Cody4343
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:18:23 pm »
Robuy:

I agree with your analysis, I never noticed the same note thing at the end until today.
 I thought the way this film was scored was just brilliant! Absolutely minimalistic. The country/western motif of the music fits the theme so well without being "hard core country". I could not imagine this film with any other kind of scoring.

My favourite piece in the whole film is the music played in the last scene with Jack & Ennis after Ennis collapses and then fades to the flashback of the dozy embrace. So light and airy, (I think I heard a Roland XP-80 doing this..) with a wonderful chord progression. Designed to just jerk the tears right out of you. Later in the Dozy Emb scene, you hear a few guitar plucks which to me signifiied the happiness they had at that exact moment in time.
Then when the scene fades back to Jack watching Ennis drive off for the last time,  the chords begin progressig downwardly and this left me with an ominous feeling.

All wonderful stuff.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
Re: Music annalysis by Cody4343
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:56:08 am »
That's a beautiful analysis! I wish people at filmtracks.com could read it. Then maybe they'd understand why Santaolalla earned the Oscar.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...