Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 47973 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:37:09 am »
I read in the Volkskrant today that tonight sees the world premiere of Brokeback Mountain The Play!!! A Dutch theater company has turned by Annie Proux's short story into a play.

For those of you who can read dutch  ;D (sorry!) here's the link for the theater company: http://www.wettenvankepler.nl/indexsite.php

When i first read this, i thought wow, exciting! I want to see this. But I'm not sure. Jack and Ennis in dutch? hmmm. I didn't like the dutch translation of the short story and they're using this translations as the basis for the play. But then again, it might be an incredible experience. I'll wait for the reviews and then decide I think.

Hey, Mel, what do you think? Are you going to watch this?

Fabienne
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:00:32 pm »
You should definitely go!! Let us know your report.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:18:36 pm »
Hey! If you are planning on going, let me know 'kay!! I'd go with you!  :-*

I'm not fluent in Dutch, but I do know what the story is about - a little..  ;D

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:13 pm »

j. U. d. E.

sure enough  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 12:34:52 pm »

j. U. d. E.

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

Brokeback Mountain (the play) premiering tonight in Holland!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 02:06:25 pm »
Fabienne notified me about this! Thank you Fabienne!  :-*

Tonight will be the premiere of Brokeback mountain, the play, in Den Bosch (the Netherlands)!!!!

About a year ago I read in the newspaper that a Dutch theatre group (De Wetten van Kepler) had bought the rights for the short story Brokeback Mountain to turn it into a play. Then, I thought it was a joke, today I realise it wasn't. I am awaiting the reviews and I will keep you all posted about it. I will take a picture of the article in de Volkskrant of today and post it here!

It is really weird to see Jack and Ennis portrayed by two different (and... Dutch!) actors! And there are songs...  :o

http://www.wettenvankepler.nl/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:49:55 pm by mvansand76 »

mvansand76

Re: Brokeback Mountain (the play) premiering tonight in Holland!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 03:08:30 pm »
OK... Fabienne also posted this on CT!

Can somebody merge us or is it OK to cross-post on two boards?  :-*

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:10:27 pm »
I wanna go.  I wanna go.  I wanna go.  :D   :D  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:11:54 pm »
Yeah, I don't speak 'dutch' either, but I don't care.  I wanna go.  I wanna go.   :D  :D  :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 03:14:31 pm »

Good point, Jude!  It could be in Venusian, and I think we'd all have one hunderd per cent comprehension.  

I wish I could go.  That's one of the peskiest things about being in the Western part of the United States - when I lived in New York, going to Europe was an adventure that I enjoyed several times.  But now that Europe is twice as far away, I haven't been there once since moving here 13 years ago.

So it looks like it's travelling around Holland during Feb and March.  And that it's "Muziektheater?"  Does this really mean it's a musical?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:22:00 pm by Ellemeno »

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »
I wanna go.  I wanna go.  I wanna go.  :D   :D  :D

Well, if you are in Amsterdam next Saturday you are more than welcome to join us!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:36:51 pm »

Good point, Jude!  It could be in Venusian, and I think we'd all have one hunderd per cent comprehension.  

I wish I could go.  That's one of the peskiest things about being in the Western part of the United States - when I lived in New York, going to Europe was an adventure that I enjoyed several times.  But now that Europe is twice as far away, I haven't been there once since moving here 13 years ago.

So it looks like it's travelling around Holland during Feb and March.  And that it's "Muziektheater?"  Does this really mean it's a musical?

They do some songs ( :o), but I think it's characterised as a play! It's not a musical I think... Well, I will find out, I am gonna see it in the theatre in Amsterdam next Saturday. Wouldn't it be great if we could fill up the whole theatre with international Brokies?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »
They do some songs ( :o), but I think it's characterised as a play! It's not a musical I think... Well, I will find out, I am gonna see it in the theatre in Amsterdam next Saturday. Wouldn't it be great if we could fill up the whole theatre with international Brokies?

oh wow Melissa! How come you never told us before!!!?

we expect a very full report the next day!

xx

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:02:52 pm »
oh wow Melissa! How come you never told us before!!!?

we expect a very full report the next day!

xx

Because I only heard about it today from Fabienne and I just booked the tickets! I read a small article about it last year around this time, during the Brokeback media hype. I thought it was a joke or something, didn't think about it anymore because I didn't think they were serious about it and now the play is premiering tonight!  ;D

I need to keep an eye on the reviews in the coming days and I will of course write a full report/review once I have seen it. I am nervous about it though, I am not sure what it's gonna be like to see a different Jack and Ennis.... no Jake and Heath.... And there are going to be songs.... :o

Offline Toast

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 04:12:29 pm »
Here's a machine translation of the main text about the play
(translated from Dutch to English)

You can read this "translation" for fun
mvansand76 has provided a much more readable translation on the next page.

Brokeback Mountain
Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx. The tale concerning the love between two cowboys has been worldwide confessed since the film of Ang Lee. Scroll down for further information and the complete speellijst!

CONTENTS Jacket and Ennis guard sheep in a paradise, the savage Wyoming. And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain are non-conventional, breathing and ongetemd tale concerning two cowboys in wild the west. Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. They find love where them that lowest expecting. A love which a life lasts long. But what is lifelong in a world in which men talk a little and violence to everything can make an end?

THEMATICS The laws of Kepler tell tales concerning people who are faced with the borders of their surroundings, stipulated source: family, tradition, birth ground. Also Annie Proulx let stock that confrontation as a meteorite on ground. Because love is nature violence.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION Brokeback Mountain are the third guest control of Jos of are possible at our gezelschap. Rather he made Witlox (2003) and biest (2005). Concerning the last schreef the press: ` small, fine piece ' ` seizing tale ', ` intimate, sometimes jamming show (the Volkskrant); ` fascinerend piece ', ` strong game ' (the telegraph); ` country opera with beklemming ', ` Hamelynck and coat press appears to each other hazardous and can change gear perfectly between tension and humour ' (Brabantine daily). But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) that overwhelming concentrated game of the two women, the sung comment of the tenor, the stilering in the enscenering. (Loek Zonneveld in theatre book match) The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly and with ingehouden humour: she is master in omitting and nevertheless writes them extremely beeldende language. Its protagonists are simple, hardwerkende people who deserve bread with their hands their daily, as a farmer or cowboy.

For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx, got a lot of prices, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The verfilming of Brokeback Mountain in the control of Ang Lee won several prices among which one gouden lion, three applied Oscars, four globes and celebrate BAFTA's.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:53:15 pm by Toast »

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:07 pm »
Here's a machine translation of the main text about the play
(translated from Dutch to English)

Brokeback Mountain
Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx. The tale concerning the love between two cowboys has been worldwide confessed since the film of Ang Lee. Scroll down for further information and the complete speellijst!

CONTENTS Jacket and Ennis guard sheep in a paradise, the savage Wyoming. And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain are non-conventional, breathing and ongetemd tale concerning two cowboys in wild the west. Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. They find love where them that lowest expecting. A love which a life lasts long. But what is lifelong in a world in which men talk a little and violence to everything can make an end?

THEMATICS The laws of Kepler tell tales concerning people who are faced with the borders of their surroundings, stipulated source: family, tradition, birth ground. Also Annie Proulx let stock that confrontation as a meteorite on ground. Because love is nature violence.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION Brokeback Mountain are the third guest control of Jos of are possible at our gezelschap. Rather he made Witlox (2003) and biest (2005). Concerning the last schreef the press: ` small, fine piece ' ` seizing tale ', ` intimate, sometimes jamming show (the Volkskrant); ` fascinerend piece ', ` strong game ' (the telegraph); ` country opera with beklemming ', ` Hamelynck and coat press appears to each other hazardous and can change gear perfectly between tension and humour ' (Brabantine daily). But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) that overwhelming concentrated game of the two women, the sung comment of the tenor, the stilering in the enscenering. (Loek Zonneveld in theatre book match) The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly and with ingehouden humour: she is master in omitting and nevertheless writes them extremely beeldende language. Its protagonists are simple, hardwerkende people who deserve bread with their hands their daily, as a farmer or cowboy.

For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx, got a lot of prices, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The verfilming of Brokeback Mountain in the control of Ang Lee won several prices among which one gouden lion, three applied Oscars, four globes and celebrate BAFTA's.

LOL.... Jacket and Ennis! I will make a proper translation asap! Thanks for this Toast...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »
The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly

I wonder if Annie is aware of this?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Toast

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 04:26:04 pm »
funny Meryl !!
that slipped by me

(of course I made no attempt to "fix" the translation)

Some of the machine translation terms are actually poetic.

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

We know what you meant.  Great job.

Oh no, that was a machine translation that Toast posted, I am translating the Dutch text now from scratch... funny things come out of those machine translations and might be interpreted wrong, such as what Meryl mentioned! But it's very funny.

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »
Here it is, my mega-fast translation:

Brokeback Mountain, starring Willem Schouten and Sieger Sloot.
Music theatre by guest director Jos van Kan, based on the book by Annie Proulx. The story that tells about the love between two cowboys became world famous when the movie, directed by Ang Lee, came out.

Jack and Ennis herd sheep in a paradise, the rugged Wyoming landscape. And just as inhospitable, endlessly rough and tender as that landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain is an uncoventional, breathing and untamed story about two cowboys in the Wild West. Simple, hard-working men who earn their living by working with their hands. They find tenderness where they least expect it.
A love that lasts a lifetime. But what is a lifetime in a world in which men don't talk much and violence can end it all?

De Wetten van Kepler (the theatre company) tells stories about people who are confronted with the boundaries of their environment, determined by ancestry: family, tradition, native ground.
Annie Proulx also lets this confrontation smash into earth like a meteorite. Because love is a force of nature.

Annie Proulx' writing style is compact and impregnated with restrained humour: she is the master of omitting and yet her writing is extremely illustrative. Her main characters are simple, hard-working people who earn their living by working with their hands, as farmers or cowboys. For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx received many prizes, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The film adaptation of Brokeback Mountain, directed by Ang Lee won several prizes, among with the Golden Lion, three Oscars, four Golden Globes and four BAFTA’s.

mvansand76

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 05:09:10 pm »
I am on a translation roll! LOL.

Here is the first part of the article in the big Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant today, an interview with the director: It's interesting to read how arrogant this guy is and how he talks about the movie... I am not sure I like this guy and I will make sure to kick his ass when I do meet him after the show!

Interview with director Jos van Kan:
After the film adaptation, the Dutch are now the first to see Brokeback Mountain as a play.

"'Annie Proulx' language is something very beautiful. Tough and direct, there is no way around it. Ang Lee translated that into beautiful images in his movie. I think the suggestion and the imagination that her language calls up are as strong as that."

For theatre director Jos van Kan it is clear: Brokeback Mountain is first and foremost the story by writer Annie Proulx. Not the 2006 Ang Lee movie. At theatre company De Wetten van Kepler he directs the story as a musical theatre piece. He is the first to turn the story by Proulx into a play.

"Even though it is a beautiful story, nobody hit upon the idea to turn it into a play. I think that's strange. I read the short story by Proulx long before the movie came out. I was touched. It felt drenched with theatre. At last not a story about life in the urban jungle, but about people who really live in nature and where the landscape is a reflection of themselves. About people who feel they are thrown onto this earth. I like to tell about that.

Even though he really did not think it was a bad movie, Van Kan did try to forget the memory of it during the making of this play. "I saw the movie once, when it came out. The film script is lying on my table. I haven't read it yet. I keep thinking never mind...

Offline Toast

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 05:29:59 pm »
Thanks mvansand76

yes it was funny from the machine.

Now that's what I wanted to read.
Good job.

It would be interesting to see how he adapted Annie Proulx's story.
Toast

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 05:31:50 pm »
Well, I can understand him (the director) in a way. Wanting to concentrate on the original source material and present his own visual and emotional interpretation, - another take on the events the short story barely hints at.....

He knows, of course, about the success of the film and that most of his theatre audience will probably have seen the film andwill be bearing it and the impact it made strongly in mind; - they'll be comparing the impact the play makes, and the characterization of Jack and Ennis, - to the film. He probably feels a little intimidated by that and so comes across a bit blustery to cover that up.

It will be very interesting to hear how the play presents its take on the original story. Bearing in mind how much the film fleshed out small sentences and sub-plots and many characters, such as Lureen, and Cassie; - a fresh take on all that might present entirely different events. And what about Jack's death, for instance - I wonder if the play witt retain the same level of ambiguity.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the play and your review of it Melissa - and I'd have loved to see it. Never mind that I don't understand Dutch. I do understand Brokish!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 05:35:53 pm »
And the second part.... (*exhausted smiley*)

Only when the Ang Lee movie came out in 2006 did Brokeback Mountain become well-known amongst a wide audience. Lee turned the short story by Annie Proulx into an integer and atypical Hollywood movie that caused quite a sensation. It is about two taciturn, macho cowboys who find love, not with their wives, but in each other's arms. It earned three Oscars. And a lot of publicity.

Actors Sieger Sloot (Jack) and Willem Schouten (Ennis) have taken up the challenge to use Proulx's language to make the love between Jack and Ennis believable. In his adaptation, Van Kan chose to divide all the lines over the two men. "In theatre you can travel through the hearts and minds of these two men. With the help of video images and music we shape their thoughts and feelings. Very different from the medium of film. In film an anecdote is depicted realistically. Obviously, in theatre we can shamelessly let go of that realism. Play with the wording. And see what happens then."

We only see the cowboys' wives in the video projections on wooden screens. Van Kan: "In the movie the roles of the wives are expanded and the children are also incorporated in it. That is an accent that Lee has chosen. I would rather put the emphasis on the inner world of those two. The self-censure that mainly Ennis is tormented by, that far-reaching homophobia within himself, that's fascinating. That's why Ennis is a tragic character. He is everything but rooted in himself. I want to show that.

Brokeback Mountain has another trump: music. "Jack and Ennis sing songs. For this, I went shopping in the short story by Annie Proulx and looked for sentences that work best. If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it. The final sentence of the story. That for me is the essence of the show. There are things in life that you cannot solve and that you have got to learn to live with.

Brokeback Mountain by De Wetten van Kepler. Premiere tonight in the Verkadefabriek in Den Bosch.

Volkskrant - 9th of February 2007

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 05:40:02 pm »
Here they are, Dutch Jack and Ennis...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 05:44:44 pm »
Isn't Melissa great, ya'll?? 

Thanks Melissa!!!  :-*   :-*   :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 06:02:45 pm »

Thanks Melissa!!!  :-*   :-*   :D

I just hope the translations made sense!  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 06:10:34 pm »
I just hope the translations made sense!  :P

Are you kidding? They make PERFECT sense!

Thanks for all your hard work. We appreciate it!  :)

Offline Toast

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 06:13:41 pm »
Your translations make total sense Melissa

One little question :  How do you say  "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it" in Dutch.
I hope the music turns up somewhere

Thanks again.
I enjoyed all the translations you did.

Toast

mvansand76

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »
Your translations make total sense Melissa

One little question :  How do you say  "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it" in Dutch.
I hope the music turns up somewhere

Thanks again.
I enjoyed all the translations you did.

Toast

Oh gosh, that really cannot be translated, I wonder how they are gonna do that! Uhm... here goes...

Als je er niks aan kunt doen, dan moet je er maar mee leren leven...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 06:31:55 pm »
Oh gosh, that really cannot be translated, I wonder how they are gonna do that! Uhm... here goes...

Als je er niks aan kunt doen, dan moet je er maar mee leren leven...

I agree Mel, i doesn't have quite the same ring to it. It's not a punchy as it is in English, as is often the case.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:13 pm »
We only see the cowboys' wives in the video projections on wooden screens. Van Kan: "In the movie the roles of the wives are expanded and the children are also incorporated in it. That is an accent that Lee has chosen. I would rather put the emphasis on the inner world of those two. The self-censure that mainly Ennis is tormented by, that far-reaching homophobia within himself, that's fascinating. That's why Ennis is a tragic character. He is everything but rooted in himself. I want to show that.

How exciting!  I love that it's a two character play and that it's based on the short story rather than the film script.  Has anyone seen other productions by this troupe and or director?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:30 pm »
This sounds so awesome!!!

Please give us a review when you go.  I'm a little bit on the  :o side when it comes to them singing songs - maybe in the tradition of German opera and Bollywood, the characters breaking into song at emotional moments?

Don't know how it might translate.  The short story is pure Americana.  Heath's accent for Ennis was practically its own character.  Would they even try an accent?

boggle boggle boggle 

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 11:14:37 pm »
"Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. "

O, Damnation! What wunnerful string o' words!  I wanna go too! I wanna go too! :D :D :o
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 02:06:50 am »

Thanks Melissa!!!  :-*   :-*   :D

Absolutely, Melissa is great.  But somehow, I'm sorry, Melissa, your translation wasn't as hilarious as Toast's.  :)  Put that right up there with the Malaysian subtitles.  :)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:10 am »
Diana Ossana was quoted last summer at a seminar in Missouri as being very enthusiastic about Brokeback being made into a play.  

Wonder if she and Larry McMurtry have the stage rights?

A stage version would not have to be locked into a two person play.  Kind a like seeing scenes that include J. Aguirre, the Twist parents and maybe even the wives.  But, please, NO musical.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2007, 02:14:59 am »
"Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. "

Truman, I love that line too, as well as "infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love."

I also enjoy "The verfilming of Brokeback Mountain in the control of Ang Lee won several prices among which one gouden lion, three applied Oscars, four globes and celebrate BAFTA's."

I think I've found my new sig line.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2007, 02:17:20 am »

Absolutely, Melissa is great.  But somehow, I'm sorry, Melissa, your translation wasn't as hilarious as Toast's.   :)  Put that right up there with the Malaysian subtitles.  :)

Yeah Clarissa, I agree....

"Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx."

That's about as clear as the Mississippi river.

Brokeback Mountain are non-conventional, breathing and ongetemd tale concerning two cowboys in wild the west.

Can't say I blame those two cowboys. I've been known to "wild the west" a few times myself.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 04:14:39 am »
Yeah Clarissa, I agree....

"Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx."

That's about as clear as the Mississippi river.

Jee David, are here i was thinking that Dutch is an uncool language!  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 05:27:26 am »
thanks melissa!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 09:00:51 am »
Hey guys! I did a search on the internet for reviews this morning, but haven't found anything yet, apart from a promotional poster:

and another photo:

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:32 am »
No Fabienne, our language is the COOLEST! Hahahaha!  :laugh:  Have you already decided if you want to go or will you await my review?

I have to agree with you guys on that machine translation, it's so funny how it just skips the words it doesn't know and offers the completely wrong translation for most of the other words.  ;D

LOL at your new signature line, Ellemeno!

Getting more and more excited about seeing the play next Saturday! I am going to try to contact the theatre group and see if they will allow me backstage to talk to the actors and director for a bit. Hey, I managed to get backstage passes for a Gordon Lightfoot concert in New Jersey in April, so this should be a piece of cake! LOL!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
Melissa, that's so cool that you can be our very own BetterMostian onsite reporter at the new play!  I hope you enjoy it.  8)

Hey guys! I did a search on the internet for reviews this morning, but haven't found anything yet, apart from a promotional poster:

What an economical image.  Anyone who knows the story recognizes it immediately.  It gets the sex and the sheep in one go.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:04 pm »

What an economical image.  Anyone who knows the story recognizes it immediately.  It gets the sex and the sheep in one go.  ;D

Completely agree about the image Meryl.

Melissa thanks for the translation. Here I was struggling through the Dutch version, and some posts down on the BetterMost page there was a translation  :laugh:.

The thought of them singing in the play really makes me cringe  :o. But who knows, perhaps you'll report it was perfectly fitting.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2007, 04:20:47 pm »
Have you already decided if you want to go or will you await my review?

I'll wait for you report!  :)

Getting more and more excited about seeing the play next Saturday! I am going to try to contact the theatre group and see if they will allow me backstage to talk to the actors and director for a bit. Hey, I managed to get backstage passes for a Gordon Lightfoot concert in New Jersey in April, so this should be a piece of cake! LOL!

A piece of cherry cake no dought!  :laugh:
I'm sure that when they get that request from a devout brokie, they'll have 'no resistance'. Have a great time Mel !

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 12:17:35 am »
The literalness of the translations renders it such as to be a delicate as a spring blossom, and as warm as an old shirt straight out of the clothes dryer. From what little I have learned of other languages I see having to opening up the mind to different interpretations is a wonderful exercise that is some how missing from the endless section upon the conjugation of verbs are handled.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 12:32:52 am »
I just hope all the people who go see this play in Holland don't try to compare it to the movie. I realize this is easier said than done, but the movie and this play are two completely different "animals" both born from Annie's story. Those who watch the play (or musical) after seeing the movie may be sorely disappointed if they try to make such a comparison. I think the reverse would also be true.

Apples and oranges. Both are probably excellent adaptations of the story when judged individually and independent from its counterpart.

mvansand76

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:07 am »
I just hope all the people who go see this play in Holland don't try to compare it to the movie. I realize this is easier said than done, but the movie and this play are two completely different "animals" both born from Annie's story. Those who watch the play (or musical) after seeing the movie may be sorely disappointed if they try to make such a comparison. I think the reverse would also be true.

Apples and oranges. Both are probably excellent adaptations of the story when judged individually and independent from its counterpart.

Well, I realized that when I read the interviews, and now I am just going to forget about the whole movie (yeah right, as if that is even possible... :laugh:) and see the play for what it is...

Offline Juliette59

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "I wish i knew how to quit you" - Jack Twist
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 06:53:29 am »
I have the tickets, 17-03-2007, can't hardly wait.

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 07:01:04 am »
I have the tickets, 17-03-2007, can't hardly wait.

Hoi Annemieke, welkom op Bettermost! Hope you have a great time here! Make sure to introduce yourself on the "Introduce yourself" thread!

I can't wait to see it either, will be seeing it next Saturday!  :D

moremojo

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 03:34:18 pm »
I find this news most fascinating, and am eager to hear reports from Melissa and others once they have seen this. I am actually (generally) quite a big fan of alternate artistic interpretations of the same source or story, and I have no problem with others tackling Annie's story with their own angle or vision; it's just important, as David states, to see the play as its own entity, and not indulge in fruitless comparisons with Ang's film adaptation.

I do note that the actors playing Jack and Ennis seem a bit less glamorous than Jake and Heath, which to my mind is actually a positive element (Annie's characters are distinctly lacking glamor). Also, judging from the production photos, a rather stylized approach is being taken with the material, no doubt resulting from the distinct parameters offered by the theatrical experience. I imagine the story is being treated like a memory play (a 'ghost sonata', a la Strindberg), and this would be most appropriate in light of the mood of the original story.

mvansand76

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »
I find this news most fascinating, and am eager to hear reports from Melissa and others once they have seen this. I am actually (generally) quite a big fan of alternate artistic interpretations of the same source or story, and I have no problem with others tackling Annie's story with their own angle or vision; it's just important, as David states, to see the play as its own entity, and not indulge in fruitless comparisons with Ang's film adaptation.

I do note that the actors playing Jack and Ennis seem a bit less glamorous than Jake and Heath, which to my mind is actually a positive element (Annie's characters are distinctly lacking glamor). Also, judging from the production photos, a rather stylized approach is being taken with the material, no doubt resulting from the distinct parameters offered by the theatrical experience. I imagine the story is being treated like a memory play (a 'ghost sonata', a la Strindberg), and this would be most appropriate in light of the mood of the original story.

I agree with you that we should see the play in its own right and not compare it to the movie. That, I think is what the director tried to say but he sounded a bit arrogant saying it!  ;)

What I am really curious about is if the chemistry between the actors is good enough and if they make the audience really believe the love between Jack and Ennis.

Also, I think the dialogue will be interesting, seeing that in another interview (that I still have to translate) I read that they have taken all the dialogue directly from the short story, and that they have used only Annie's text and have not added anything.

And then there are the songs... can't help but feel nervous about that... :-\

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 02:29:14 am »
Once again I am in awe of the non-native English-speakers English skills on this thread. 

:)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 03:50:49 am »
Once again I am in awe of the non-native English-speakers English skills on this thread. 

:)

I do too Clarissa! It's amazing. And Melissa's translation is so much easier to read than....

" But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) "

So much for <cough> technology <cough>. haha.

But I'll throw the computer a bone for its effort.  :-\

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 03:21:25 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read any reviews yet? I'm very curious about how this play will be received. Let us know if you hear anything.

mvansand76

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read any reviews yet? I'm very curious about how this play will be received. Let us know if you hear anything.

I have googled for it, but I haven't found anything yet! I will continue looking, otherwise my review will be the first!  ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 05:06:16 pm »
I have googled for it, but I haven't found anything yet! I will continue looking, otherwise my review will be the first!  ;)

when is it you go and see it?

mvansand76

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 05:07:47 pm »
when is it you go and see it?

This Saturday!!!!  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 09:00:56 pm »
A play of Brokeback is such a great idea!  I can imagine that it could work really well as a play (if done properly of course).  I would love, love, love to see it.  And, I would also love to go to Amsterdam in order to do so... that's one fine city (I've only been there once but I loved my visit there).  But, unfortunately, for now I'm stuck in Pittsburgh.
 :-\

Thanks for all these great translations and pics!

:-*
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 09:15:03 pm »
This Saturday!!!!  :D

Can't wait for your review....have a great time.

There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

mvansand76

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 07:25:01 am »
Thanks you all! I am getting more and more excited each day!  :D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:21 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read the reviews on the theatre company's website? They're all quite enthusiastic, only one reviewer who thinks it's just 'zozo'  ;D. It seems most of the singing is done by 'Jack', no mention of the harmonica though.

I won't be here on sunday to read your review. I'm going skying in Italy next week. I'll look for it when I get back and start looking for tickets. I'm starting to get very curious about this.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 02:15:44 pm »
Can't wait for your review....have a great time.

Wow, I think it is time for the horse to take a tour of Europe!

mvansand76

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2007, 03:49:19 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read the reviews on the theatre company's website? They're all quite enthusiastic, only one reviewer who thinks it's just 'zozo'  ;D. It seems most of the singing is done by 'Jack', no mention of the harmonica though.

I won't be here on sunday to read your review. I'm going skying in Italy next week. I'll look for it when I get back and start looking for tickets. I'm starting to get very curious about this.

Thanks for letting me know, was het helemaal vergeten om te checken!  :-*

Very positive!

moremojo

Sieger Sloot--the Dutch Jack Twist
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2007, 04:46:58 pm »
Doing some Googling in light of this exciting stage production, I came across this peculiar website devoted to/created by actor Sieger Sloot, who plays Jack onstage. If you click on any of the images, you will hear Mr. Sloot's voice reciting passages from the various texts he is holding in the pictures (and, judging from one of these pictures, Sloot is himself a published author). Here is the link:

http://www.siegersloot.nl/index.htm

mvansand76

Re: Sieger Sloot--the Dutch Jack Twist
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2007, 05:33:24 pm »
Doing some Googling in light of this exciting stage production, I came across this peculiar website devoted to/created by actor Sieger Sloot, who plays Jack onstage. If you click on any of the images, you will hear Mr. Sloot's voice reciting passages from the various texts he is holding in the pictures (and, judging from one of these pictures, Sloot is himself a published author). Here is the link:

http://www.siegersloot.nl/index.htm

Yes, he has in fact just published a book...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 02:22:11 am »
Melissa, PLEASE don't forget to tell us all about the play! We're going to be on pins and needles wondering about it.

You're now our official "BBM Play" critic!  :D

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2007, 02:50:49 am »

Just waiting patiently for Melissa's review.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

mvansand76

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2007, 04:45:41 am »
Just waiting patiently for Melissa's review.

;D

Might have to go alone because my boyfriend is sick!  :(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2007, 05:17:15 am »
;D

Might have to go alone because my boyfriend is sick!  :(

That's too bad Mel. I hope you'll still enjoy it by yourself. Hope he feels better soon.

mvansand76

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2007, 06:09:20 pm »
I just got back from seeing Brokeback on stage! (*jumps up and down all excited*)

I took pictures, I have comments and I am gonna post them here!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2007, 06:11:16 pm »
Whooo-eeee!! Tell us, Melissa!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2007, 06:32:53 pm »
I just got back from seeing Brokeback on stage! (*jumps up and down all excited*)

I took pictures, I have comments and I am gonna post them here!

<David sits down in his chair, pours a drink and patiently waits for Melissa to start talking... err... typing>

How was it Melissa? We've been waiting all week to hear about this!  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:36:07 pm by David »

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2007, 06:40:46 pm »
Can't wait to hear all about it!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2007, 06:50:57 pm »
First, here's two pictures I took of the two actors:

mvansand76

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
Just a quick note (not really a review yet...will write that tomorrow)

It was a very interesting experience and the first thing that I noticed while watching it was that it restoked my love for the original short story in a big way. The beautiful descriptions of the desolate nature that surrounds Jack and Ennis, the simplicity of the story line, the heartwrenching loneliness.

The short story is narrated (the whole story is actually read out) by Jack and Ennis and alternates between a narrator voice (either Jack or Ennis) and real dialogue between the two men. The stage was very sober, just two tall crates and a few beams that they walked on.

I really had to let go of the movie and focus on the fact that this is a stage play that is based on the short story. Jack and Ennis were much more like the Jack and Ennis in the story and I had to get used to that. Everything was much more sober and pure. Jack was very different from how I imagine him now (not how he looks, but his character), I think I have to blame the movie for that.

The play is extremely faithful to the short story, it follows the story completely, they don't leave any dialogue out or add any dialogue, it's exactly like the story.

The translation into Dutch was done with so much love for the original story, it was beautifully done.

When I left the theater I decided to wait and listen to the people talk about the play. Everybody was very enthusiastic but I kept hearing people compare it to the movie. This is inevitable I think, but it's not the right comparison.

If you guys have any questions about the play, let me know and I will answer them as best as I can!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2007, 07:07:21 pm »
That's great, Melissa!  Thanks for your description.  Can I ask about the singing?  How did it fit in, and were the songs effective?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2007, 07:14:22 pm »
Great, Melissa! I would like to know more! David, can I have a sip?

mvansand76

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2007, 07:16:52 pm »
That's great, Melissa!  Thanks for your description.  Can I ask about the singing?  How did it fit in, and were the songs effective?

Oh, there were no real songs, they just sang some of the dialogue and some of the most important dialogue and sentences (If you can't fix it... there was some open space between what he knew...) were put into a song that was lazily sung by Jack while Ennis mourned him. It's very difficult to explain, maybe I will do a better job tomorrow!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2007, 07:19:46 pm »
Great, Melissa! I would like to know more! David, can I have a sip?

Hee hee hee! I just took a pain pill because my shoulder and upper back hurt like hell from having to sit in a very uncomfortable theatre seat for 1,5 hours....so I am gonna go to sleep!

Anything you want to know, just ask and I will answer it first thing tomorrow morning! I will also write an extensive review!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2007, 07:22:47 pm »
Oh, there's a ton of stuff I'd like to know. To get started......

How did working the wives in by means of film in the background (?) work... did you get any sense of Alma the way you certainly do in the short story? And what about the scene with Jack's parents? Especially Jack's father denying Ennis the ashes? How was that done- by means of the actor reading the passage?

Did they use sound clips actively to create the atmosphere.... like sheep bleating, sound of river, cars driving up and driving away.......nature sounds I suppose, in Jack and Ennis's meetings out in nature?

Any comments on the play's version of the reunion kiss?

If they included all the text of the story, the motel room scene must have been pretty long and wordy?

And......Was it a full house?

Oh yeah - one more: Did they start with the prologue (Ennis alone in his trailer - suffused with happiness because Jack was in his dream?)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:40:25 pm by Mikaela »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »
Melissa, you're a sweetheart for taking the time to tell us all about the play. We appreciate it a lot!

I hope we don't nag you too much with all our questions, but this is a very big deal for all of us, and you are one of the few people fortunate enough to actually see this beautiful play!  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2007, 08:29:22 pm »
I will resist asking if the play begins with Ennis cutting the tap on and .......

You mentioned having to sit for 1.5 hours. I know to listen to Campbell Scott read the story is about an hour, so is the play about the same?

What has the media said about it?

Thank you for being our eyes and ears.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2007, 08:46:30 pm »

When I left the theater I decided to wait and listen to the people talk about the play. Everybody was very enthusiastic but I kept hearing people compare it to the movie. This is inevitable I think, but it's not the right comparison.[/b]

This is what I was afraid would happen. Like you said, it's probably inevitable, and I suppose I would do the very same thing. Hopefully once everyone gets back home and has a chance to process the play, they will begin to appreciate the play as a separate entity from the movie and judge it in its own light.  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2007, 07:03:09 am »
Bumping these to this page... also to show the stage. On the right Sieger Sloot who played Jack and on the left Willem Schouten who played Ennis. You can see how the movie confused me here too, seeing that the actor who played Ennis looks more like movie!Jack and the actor who played Jack looks more like movie!Ennis. I am glad they did that though, because it forced me to not cling to the memory of the movie.

First, here's two pictures I took of the two actors:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:25:49 am by Snuitje »

mvansand76

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2007, 07:22:48 am »
Oh, there's a ton of stuff I'd like to know. To get started......

1. How did working the wives in by means of film in the background (?) work... did you get any sense of Alma the way you certainly do in the short story? And what about the scene with Jack's parents? Especially Jack's father denying Ennis the ashes? How was that done- by means of the actor reading the passage?

2. Did they use sound clips actively to create the atmosphere.... like sheep bleating, sound of river, cars driving up and driving away.......nature sounds I suppose, in Jack and Ennis's meetings out in nature?

3. Any comments on the play's version of the reunion kiss?

4. If they included all the text of the story, the motel room scene must have been pretty long and wordy?

5. And......Was it a full house?

6. Oh yeah - one more: Did they start with the prologue (Ennis alone in his trailer - suffused with happiness because Jack was in his dream?)

1. Alma was projected onto the cases you see in the picture. The passage from the book was read and you could see her face and some emotion on it when she saw J and E kissing. Not much attention was paid to the women, they had a tape of Lureen's voice when E calls her after J's death. It really was like it was in the short story.
In the scene with J's father the actor who plays Jack played his father by reading his dialogue.

2. They didn't use a lot of sound clips, no, it was a pretty quiet piece, they had some projections of sheep and of the postcard in E's hand. In the very first scene they used the sound of the thermostat in E's trailer.

3. Well, at first I thought they were just gonna read out the whole passage because Jack stood on the left side of the stage and Ennis on the right side. But in the middle of the reading out of the short story text, they walked up to each other and kissed and hugged and then kissed again. On the right side of the stage you could see the projection of Alma looking kind of shocked. Then they tore away from each other and Jack covered his crotch with his hat when they 'talked' to Alma. The crowd laughed at that. I thought it was really well done because you could feel the relief of seeing each other again.

4. I really liked the motel scene in the play. They did the whole first part (the description of how the room looked and smelled) in a very playful way, tugging at each other, taking each other's boots and shirts off and then just laying down (like in the short story, not like in the film). The dialogue went really quickly but it was very powerfully delivered. A lot of people laughed when Ennis asks Jack if he has been with other guys and Jack says hell no! It was delivered in a way that you know that the actor understood exactly what he had put across with that sentence.

5. You bet! I think 80% gay couples and some women and older straight couples.

6. Yes they did! I was very happy to see that and it was very powerful, especially because Jack narrated that!

Hope that answers your questions!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:28:46 am by Snuitje »

mvansand76

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:01 am »
Melissa, you're a sweetheart for taking the time to tell us all about the play. We appreciate it a lot!

I hope we don't nag you too much with all our questions, but this is a very big deal for all of us, and you are one of the few people fortunate enough to actually see this beautiful play!  :D

Oh no I am thrilled to be able to share this with you all!

mvansand76

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2007, 07:40:41 am »
I will resist asking if the play begins with Ennis cutting the tap on and .......

You mentioned having to sit for 1.5 hours. I know to listen to Campbell Scott read the story is about an hour, so is the play about the same?

What has the media said about it?

Thank you for being our eyes and ears.

*** What do you mean by your first sentence? The play started with Ennis in his trailer (not a real trailer, one of the crates on the stage opened and you could see him lying under a blanket. The actor who played Jack narrated this part and that made it really poignant, because he did it with so much love. I especially loved the part at the end of the prologue "If he does not force his attention on it..." that was done beautifully with Ennis standing in front of one of the crates and leaning his head against the projections.

*** They did read out the whole story, and they did not leave anything out or add anything, it was very pure, but they also had some things or dialogue that came back in song throughout the whole play and they sung Water-Walking Jesus together in front of the fire!

*** The first tent scene (hahaha can't resist to use the movie term...) was them huddled together in a blanket and reading out the passage from the book. It was cute.

*** Also, the 'scene' where Ennis washes himself was done in a really funny way. He pulled his pants down (no underwear, well duh... ;D) and used a wash cloth to wash himself and then threw the washcloth at Jack. I wonder if that was improvisation because they kept throwing it back and forth and then Willem Schouten (Ennis) accidentally threw it at some people in the first row. Another reason not to sit in the first row! LOL.

*** The media has been very enthusiastic. I will make sure to translate some important parts of the reviews that came out this week!

mvansand76

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:07 am »
Some excerpts from reviews in the major newspapers in Holland:

Trouw: “De toneelversie van ‘Brokeback Mountain’ heeft een schoonheid die losstaat van de film. (...) Twee acteurs dragen op een bewonderswaardige manier de hele handeling: Willem Schouten als Ennis en Sieger Sloot als Jack. (...) Een voorstelling waar je niet van gaat snotteren, maar van een heldere zuiverheid.”
NRC next: * * * *
Brabants Dagblad: “Brokeback Mountain is onder regie van Van Kan een prachtig verteld verhaal. Wie het al kent van het boek of de film, moet deze theaterversie zeker gaan zien. Wie het nog niet kent trouwens ook.”
NRC Handelsblad: “Vertwijfelde, rauwe cowboyliefde (...) In een beweegbaar decor met houten schotten, zoals van ranches in het Amerikaanse westen, brengen de spelers dynamiek aan. Ze springen over balken, zwaaien met dekens alsof het lasso's zijn. Een soort cowboysdans van energie en mannelijkheid."
GPD (o.a. Gelderlander, Haarlems Dagblad): “De Wetten van Kepler heeft er iets moois van weten te maken. (...) In de toneelversie is humor dan ook de mooiste toevoeging aan het origineel. Willem Schouten en Sieger Sloot hebben plezier in het verhaal, en dat geeft de vertelling een prettige luchtigheid mee."

.....and the translation  ;D:

Trouw: “The stage version of ‘Brokeback Mountain’ offers a beauty that is separate from the movie. (...) The two actors carry the whole act in a way that is to be admired: Willem Schouten as Ennis and Sieger Sloot as Jack. (...) A performance that doesn't make you cry, but that is of a clear purity.”
NRC next: * * * * (4 stars)
Brabants Dagblad: “Brokeback Mountain, directed by Van Kan is a beautifully told story. Anybody who already knows the book and/or the film should definitely see this theatre version. Whoever doesn't know it should see it too, by the way.”
NRC Handelsblad: “Desperate, rough cowboy love (...) In a moveable decor with wooden crates, as with the ranches in the American West, the actors add a certain dynamism. They jump over beams, wave around blankets as if they are lassos. A type of cowboy dance of energy and masculinity."
GPD (Gelderlander, Haarlems Dagblad): “De Wetten van Kepler has been able to make something beautiful of this. (...) In the stage version humour is the most beautiful addition to the original. Willem Schouten and Sieger Sloot clearly enjoy telling this story, and that adds a pleasant sense of lightness to the narration."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2007, 02:41:31 pm »
Hooray for Shouten and Sloot! And for Melissa, fabulous review and translation!!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2007, 02:45:10 pm »

Thank you Melissa for this wonderful account of the play, I'm glad that you were able to be our eyes.  Now I need to take a Berlitz class for Dutch and redline it to Holland.

Adrian

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2007, 02:58:46 pm »
You could probably get a flight there from Michigan!!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »
Thank you so much Melissa, for replying to my questions and for giving us the pictures, translated reviews as well as your own review. I sure wish I could have been there with you to see it.

There was one more question lingering in my mind originally, but it has been throughly answered by now; - the one big "make or break" question I suppose: Did they have chemistry? And from what you say and from the reviews the answer obviously is "Yes!!"  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2007, 04:01:26 pm »
Yes, they did have chemistry, but not throughout the play, I think that is because they alternated between being Jack or Ennis and being the narrator. I think the chemistry was most clear during the reunion scene, the motel scene and the scene during their last fishing trip, where Jack says "That is one of the two things I need right now" (I love that line and I hate that it's not in the movie!). Overall, they were obviously enjoying playing this together.

Offline Toast

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2007, 04:35:08 pm »
Thanks Melissa
Sounds like a straight presentation of our Annie Proulx's words.
As your responses/review say however, there's nothing simple about the actors or the stage presentation.
The play seems to have presented the humor with the sadness.
Thanks for doing this for us.

I'm glad I didn't have to do any more machine translations.
However can I requote myself (well quote the machine, actually):
"And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love."

Dank u Melissa

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »
I just want to add another thank you for being so enthusiastic and sharing everything with us  :-*.

6. Yes they did! I was very happy to see that and it was very powerful, especially because Jack narrated that!

I absolutely see the fact that Jack read out the prologue made it especially poignant. I love the prologue, it gets me every time. My fav line from it is ...that old, cold time on the mountain, when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

When they projected pictures of Alma, the sheep and the postcard, did they use the pictures from the movie (e.g. Michelle Williams as Alma)? Or did they create their own pictures and project them?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2007, 05:28:35 pm »
I just want to add another thank you for being so enthusiastic and sharing everything with us  :-*.

I absolutely see the fact that Jack read out the prologue made it especially poignant. I love the prologue, it gets me every time. My fav line from it is ...that old, cold time on the mountain, when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

When they projected pictures of Alma, the sheep and the postcard, did they use the pictures from the movie (e.g. Michelle Williams as Alma)? Or did they create their own pictures and project them?

I would like to join Chrissi in thanking you Melissa! I really do appreciate all the time you have spent telling us about the play!  :D

Dank u vriendelijk!  :D

How many people were there last night to watch the play? Can you give us an estimate?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2007, 05:33:13 pm »
Melissa,

Just wanted to send you another thank you for your wonderful descriptions of the play.

It was great to read about it. :D :D :D

mvansand76

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »
Thanks Melissa
Sounds like a straight presentation of our Annie Proulx's words.
As your responses/review say however, there's nothing simple about the actors or the stage presentation.
The play seems to have presented the humor with the sadness.
Thanks for doing this for us.

I'm glad I didn't have to do any more machine translations.
However can I requote myself (well quote the machine, actually):
"And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love."

Dank u Melissa

That translation I will never forget!  :laugh:

You are all very welcome, I am so glad I could see this play and share my experiences with you all!

I just wish you could all see it, it's such a unique experience. I remember sitting in the theatre and the lights came on and Jack sitting on the right side of the stage and starting with "Ennis del Mar wordt voor vijfen wakker...", to hear this story that has become so important to me being told right in front of me by Jack and in my own language, I just couldn't stop smiling like a fool.... It made me feel extremely happy to be in love with such an extraordinary story.

I remember walking out of the theatre alone (my boyfriend was gonna come with me but he was too sick) and I just wished that everybody from Bettermost was there to discuss it with.

mvansand76

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2007, 05:42:02 pm »

No, they did not use pictures from the movie, they projected a video of a blonde woman on the crates and she was just staring ahead. They were all moving images.
There was actually absolutely nothing that reminded me of the movie, other than that the movie and the play share the same story, they were two completely different artistic things! That was the director's aim, he had the rights to the short story and not the movie and he wanted to make something that was seperate from the movie.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2007, 04:57:47 am »
thanks Mellissa... sounds like ti was fab!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2007, 08:18:05 am »
Melissa, Fabienne: do you know how long it will be played?

I couldn't find Den Bosch on a map or route planner, but I read that s'Hertogenbosch is colloquially called Den Bosch.
This is only 433km from where I live. And I know that Fabienne and Jude live near there, too. From Brussels to Den Bosch it's only 150km.
Fabienne, Jude, Melissa, me, Kerstin, Isabelle (she lives in northern France), Anke....we are all not too far from Den Bosch. You see what I get at?  :D

I would definately be interested in seeing the play. And how much more fun would it be to use this occasion for another Euro-Brokie meeting?

Anybody interested? C'mon folks, let me hear what you think  :D Reply here or send me a PM.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:21:31 am by Penthesilea »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:37 am »
Chrissi,

I know that Fabienne is interested in going to the play. She is off skiing for a week on won't be back online til next Sunday (2/25).

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2007, 08:45:55 am »
Melissa, Fabienne: do you know how long it will be played?

I couldn't find Den Bosch on a map or route planner, but I read that s'Hertogenbosch is colloquially called Den Bosch.
This is only 433km from where I live. And I know that Fabienne and Jude live near there, too. From Brussels to Den Bosch it's only 150km.
Fabienne, Jude, Melissa, me, Kerstin, Isabelle (she lives in northern France), Anke....we are all not too far from Den Bosch. You see what I get at?  :D

I would definately be interested in seeing the play. And how much more fun would it be to use this occasion for another Euro-Brokie meeting?

Anybody interested? C'mon folks, let me hear what you think  :D Reply here or send me a PM.

Oh I would definitely be interested to see it again with you all!

Here is the play list:

SPEELLIJST
FEBRUARI 2007
7 t/m 10 - Verkadefabriek - 'S-HERTOGENBOSCH - 20.30 uur- 073 6818160
15 - Schouwburg De Kring - ROOSENDAAL - 20.00 uur - 0165 555555
16, 17 en 19 - Frascati I - AMSTERDAM - 20.30 uur - 020 6266866
22 - Toneelschuur - HAARLEM - 20.30 uur - 023 5173910
23 - Theater Achterom - HILVERSUM - 20.15 uur - 035 6233993
24 - Chassé - BREDA - 20.30 uur - 076 5303132
27 - Toneelacademie - MAASTRICHT - 20.30 uur - 043 3505555

MAART 2007
1 - Podium 't Beest - GOES - 20.30 uur - 0113 228142
2 & 3 - Stadsschouwburg - UTRECHT - 20.30 uur - 030 2302023
7 t/m 9 - LAKtheater - LEIDEN - 20.30 uur - 071 5124890
10 - NWE Vorst - TILBURG - 20.30 uur - 013 5328532
13 - Theater aan het Spui - DEN HAAG - 20.30 uur - 070 3465272
14 - Rijswijkse Schouwburg - RIJSWIJK - 20.15 uur - 070 3360077
16 - Gruitpoorttheater - DOETINCHEM - 20.30 uur - 0314 368173
17 - Theater Idea - SOEST - 20.15 uur - 035 6095829
19 & 20 - Stadsschouwburg - GRONINGEN - 20.15 uur - 050 3680368
21 t/m 23 - Plaza Futura - EINDHOVEN - 20.30 uur - 040 2946848
24 - CK Theater - ROERMOND - 20.00 uur - 0475 391491
28 - Witte Theater - IJMUIDEN - 20.30 uur - 0255 521972
30 - LUX - NIJMEGEN - 21.00 uur - 0900 5894636
31 - Verkadefabriek - 'S-HERTOGENBOSCH - 20.30 uur 073 6818160
Wijzigingen voorbehouden.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:44 pm »
***  Willem Schouten (Ennis) accidentally threw it [the washcloth] at some people in the first row. Another reason not to sit in the first row! LOL.

Am I the only one who would really want a front row seat now, lol!

Thanks for your report and photos!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2007, 10:59:36 pm »
Did they show any of Ennis' chiildren?  They showed the wives, but how about the daughters?

Thanks also for the review.  Wish wish wish I could be there to see it!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2007, 11:03:17 pm »
I love that this play is its own, while still being true to the story.  Thanks Melissa!  Go EuroBrokies!!

mvansand76

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:16 am »
Am I the only one who would really want a front row seat now, lol!

Thanks for your report and photos!

LOL! Well, it was hilarious and Willem Schouten said sorry to the guy who was hit by the washcloth!  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2007, 05:27:12 am »
Did they show any of Ennis' chiildren?  They showed the wives, but how about the daughters?

Thanks also for the review.  Wish wish wish I could be there to see it!

No, they didn't show anybody apart from Alma, they didn't show the children or Lureen!

I love that this play is its own, while still being true to the story.  Thanks Melissa!  Go EuroBrokies!!

You are more than welcome.... I just wish you alllllll could see it!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2007, 05:38:01 am »
Melissa, thanks for the time schedule/play list. So they tour throughout the Netherlands with the play. I didn't know this, I thought they play only in Den Bosch. But since the Netherlands are a small country, it doesn't make a big difference, where the play is.

I'll open a new thread in the social events forum and write some PMs.

Leslie, thanks for letting me know about Fasbienne's holidays.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2007, 11:06:54 am »
where exactly are any of these other places in the netherlands?

mvansand76

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2007, 03:04:15 pm »
where exactly are any of these other places in the netherlands?

They are all over Holland, the weekend we are thinking of now is 16 March, that would be Soest, which is really central and close to Amsterdam...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2007, 03:41:08 pm »
They are all over Holland, the weekend we are thinking of now is 16 March, that would be Soest, which is really central and close to Amsterdam...

That sounds like so much fun! I hope it works out for you all.  :D
LOL! Well, it was hilarious and Willem Schouten said sorry to the guy who was hit by the washcloth!  ;)

Was it a sweaty washcloth? I would have stuck it down in my pocket and saved it for later!  :D  <blush>

He wouldn't have needed to apologize to me! Those guys look pretty cute. I would have loved it.

mvansand76

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2007, 05:01:25 pm »
Was it a sweaty washcloth? I would have stuck it down in my pocket and saved it for later!  :D  <blush>

He wouldn't have needed to apologize to me! Those guys look pretty cute. I would have loved it.

Oh yes, they are both quite cute!

Oh that washcloth was drenched with water, he had just used it to wash himself "everywhere he could reach"...  ;) Know what I'm sayin'?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 03:17:45 pm by Snuitje »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2007, 05:09:02 pm »

Oh that washcloth was drenched with water, he had just used it to wash himself "everywhere he could reach"...  ;) Know what I'm sayin'?

Even BETTER than sweat!

I'd definately stick it down in my pocket. Then I'd run out the door before he had a chance to ask for it back!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2007, 05:15:40 pm »
Even BETTER than sweat!

I'd definately stick it down in my pocket. Then I'd run out the door before he had a chance to ask for it back!  :D

Mmmmmmm.... interesting... ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2007, 05:20:53 pm »
Mmmmmmm.... interesting... ;D

Yeah, but I never told you what I would do with it once I got home!

THAT'S the interesting part. lol

mvansand76

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:13 pm »

Wellllll, maybe I don't wanna know.... :o

Scott6373

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2007, 05:29:49 pm »

Wellllll, maybe I don't wanna know.... :o

Um...this sounds dirty...even for me :)

mvansand76

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2007, 05:34:36 pm »
Um...this sounds dirty...even for me :)

Well, at least I have an idea for a birthday present for David now... when I do go see it again, I will make sure to sit in the front row....

Offline Toast

« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2007, 06:37:56 pm »
I just know I won't make it to the theater to see this play in Holland,
but if I did go I would take a facecloth.
Then I could keep the souvenir one.

Maybe a bunch of brokies in the front row waving facecloths would be fun.
Love to be there.
Since we all know the story by heart, I wouldn't need to take my translation "machine".
Then I would go skating on a canal somewhere.
Is there any ice around this winter??

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2007, 08:38:36 pm »
You say they did not show Lureen.  Did they use a recorded female voice for the phone call, or was that read by the actors?

mvansand76

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2007, 06:41:24 am »
I just know I won't make it to the theater to see this play in Holland,
but if I did go I would take a facecloth.
Then I could keep the souvenir one.

Maybe a bunch of brokies in the front row waving facecloths would be fun.
Love to be there.
Since we all know the story by heart, I wouldn't need to take my translation "machine".
Then I would go skating on a canal somewhere.
Is there any ice around this winter??

That's a good idea! No, there is no ice around this winter, there hasn't been ice around for twelve years now... No picturesque Amsterdam Canal Skating pictures unfortunately.... :(

mvansand76

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2007, 06:42:22 am »
You say they did not show Lureen.  Did they use a recorded female voice for the phone call, or was that read by the actors?

Ahaaaa, that was the only thing that was a recorded female voice!  :)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29:28 pm »
Wonder how the rights to do a play were obtained... 

Does the agreement limit the work to Dutch?
Can there be English translations?
Could there be DIFFERENT versions in English?
Who owns the rights in English now  --Proulx or Ossana--McMurtry?
Could Santoalalla's music be used?

If Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a guide, the future might hold a variety of interpretations.   

moremojo

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2007, 01:34:02 pm »
If Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a guide, the future might hold a variety of interpretations.
I very much hope so! :)

mvansand76

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2007, 02:00:54 pm »
Wonder how the rights to do a play were obtained... 

Does the agreement limit the work to Dutch?
Can there be English translations?
Could there be DIFFERENT versions in English?
Who owns the rights in English now  --Proulx or Ossana--McMurtry?
Could Santoalalla's music be used?

I'm not sure, I could ask the theatre company though, I got an e-mail address for their PR and marketing dept.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2007, 01:55:55 am »
Well, at least I have an idea for a birthday present for David now... when I do go see it again, I will make sure to sit in the front row....

Ohh! I just saw this! I never know what little treasures I will dig up when I go back and scour the threads thoroughly

Melissa. My birthday isn't until September. You mean to tell me I have to wait until September before I get that sweat soaked (and whatever soaked) washcloth?

Maybe you could give it to me as an Easter present? Or a St. Patrick's Day present (Is there such a thing as a St. Patrick's Day present?)

I digress. The point is, I hope I don't have to wait until September! September is still 7 months away!  >:(   ;)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2007, 04:14:38 am »
I'm not sure, I could ask the theatre company though, I got an e-mail address for their PR and marketing dept.
Yes, finding out the process of how they developed Brokeback Mountain would be very interesting to those of us back in the States.  (My best Dutch friend learned English in Kentucky to the astonishment of all Southerners who met her...and now she lives in Australlia!))

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2007, 04:25:42 am »
Yes, finding out the process of how they developed Brokeback Mountain would be very interesting to those of us back in the States.  (My best Dutch friend learned English in Kentucky to the astonishment of all Southerners who met her...and now she lives in Australlia!))

Kudos to your friend!  :D

If only we Americans would take the time to learn other languages when we travel abroad. Some do of course, but sadly not enough.

I can't help but wonder what those Australians must think when they hear your Dutch friend speaking English with a Kentucky accent!  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2007, 12:08:57 pm »
hey Mel!

I'm back from my holiday in Italy where i 'discovered' the eurobrokie meeting being planned! I just read the last four pages in this thread and i have to say your review has made me very enthusiastic. I can't wait to see the play now and better still, see it with lots of bettermost friends.

Thanks for a wonderful review (the translation was nice too  ;)). I will certainly reread the short story in English and in dutch.
I'll see you in Amsterdam next month!  :-*  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2007, 12:44:34 pm »
hey Mel!

I'm back from my holiday in Italy where i 'discovered' the eurobrokie meeting being planned! I just read the last four pages in this thread and i have to say your review has made me very enthusiastic. I can't wait to see the play now and better still, see it with lots of bettermost friends.

Thanks for a wonderful review (the translation was nice too  ;)). I will certainly reread the short story in English and in dutch.
I'll see you in Amsterdam next month!  :-*  :-*

Spannend!!!! I really cannot wait!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42:43 am »
I wonder if this play will become popular enough to be put on in other locations.  I would so love to see it!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:39 am »
I wonder if this play will become popular enough to be put on in other locations.  I would so love to see it!

That's what I have been wondering too, Amanda. Because I can't see myself making it over to Holland anytime soon.

I don't think it's in the cards for me.  :(

mvansand76

« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2007, 08:03:39 am »
That's what I have been wondering too, Amanda. Because I can't see myself making it over to Holland anytime soon.

:'(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2007, 09:25:09 am »

If it came to the UK - you could come and see a certain londener into the bargain!

mvansand76

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:33 am »
If it came to the UK - you could come and see a certain londener into the bargain!

Now THAT should definitely be able to convince him! ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2007, 11:31:18 pm »
I would love, love, love to be able to see the play in the Netherlands (as I've mentioned before, I've been to Amsterdam once and loved it... I definitely want to go back someday), but it seems unlikely that I'll be able to go anytime soon.  So, hopefully the play might travel.  :-\

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2007, 01:16:46 pm »
Just a little bump for all the EuroBrokies who will meet in only 5 days to see the play  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2007, 02:21:05 pm »
I

AM

SO

JEALOUS!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2007, 02:26:50 pm »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
me three!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2007, 06:28:10 pm »
Me not jealous..... ME GOING!  ;D

Sorry guys.... :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2007, 06:35:24 pm »
 :P

mvansand76

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2007, 06:42:09 pm »

That's alright Melissa.

See this huge bloody gash on my arm? Just dump some salt in it and RUB!

Rub hard!!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:

I hope you all have a really great time! I'm sure you will.  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2007, 11:44:12 am »
My review (I also sent this to the theatre company):

Brokeback Mountain - a play

Ennis and Jack love each other. So much for that, because society prohibits them from telling anybody, least of all each other. Besides the frustration and hurt this causes, pureness, understanding and love are the main things that characterise their bond. Brokeback Mountain tells the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, a ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy who form a lifelong bond while herding sheep on the titular mountain one summer. When they come down off the mountain Ennis acts like it really was that one-shot thing he was talking about after their first night together. They leave each other and both get married. Four years later they reunite to find that their love for each other has all but diminished and they embark on a long, difficult affair.

It all started with a short story by Annie Proulx that was published in the New Yorker in 1997. Then came the movie. Even before the movie came out Jos van Kan and theatre company De Wetten van Kepler obtained the rights to the short story to turn it into a play and now the Dutch are the first to see the play that was based on the short story. Sieger Sloot and Willem Schouten give life to respectively Jack and Ennis, and they do this in an admirable way. When you watch the play you really have to let go of the movie and focus on the short story.

I am a big fan of the short story and the movie, and before I saw the play I really wondered what a play would add to the whole Brokeback-experience. I realised after seeing it that it has nothing to do with the movie but everything with the short story: it is so faithful to Annie Proulx' story with all the descriptions of the rough nature that Jack and Ennis are part of. Comparing the movie and the play is useless. It is now part of the perfect triptych: short story, movie and play. The translation was very nicely done and the way the actors delivered the key passages from the story showed their understanding of it. Willem Schouten and Sieger Sloot were excellent in their roles. I saw the play in Amsterdam a week after the premiere and in Soest, 5 weeks after the premiere. The actors were much more in tune with each other than in the first week they played together and they seemed to be enjoying playing together. The emotions were very raw.

The most poignant thing in the whole play was that the only moment we see pure serenity and peacefulness on Ennis's face is the moment he embraces Jack from behind in front of the campfire that summer on Brokeback.

Melissa

moremojo

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02:03 pm »
Thank you for your insightful review, Melissa. I really like how you say that the play is now its own unique entity, that together with the original story and film comprise the phenomenon we collectively call 'Brokeback Mountain'. Very nice, and very much appreciated.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: