Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 47531 times)

moremojo

Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 03:34:18 pm »
I find this news most fascinating, and am eager to hear reports from Melissa and others once they have seen this. I am actually (generally) quite a big fan of alternate artistic interpretations of the same source or story, and I have no problem with others tackling Annie's story with their own angle or vision; it's just important, as David states, to see the play as its own entity, and not indulge in fruitless comparisons with Ang's film adaptation.

I do note that the actors playing Jack and Ennis seem a bit less glamorous than Jake and Heath, which to my mind is actually a positive element (Annie's characters are distinctly lacking glamor). Also, judging from the production photos, a rather stylized approach is being taken with the material, no doubt resulting from the distinct parameters offered by the theatrical experience. I imagine the story is being treated like a memory play (a 'ghost sonata', a la Strindberg), and this would be most appropriate in light of the mood of the original story.

mvansand76

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »
I find this news most fascinating, and am eager to hear reports from Melissa and others once they have seen this. I am actually (generally) quite a big fan of alternate artistic interpretations of the same source or story, and I have no problem with others tackling Annie's story with their own angle or vision; it's just important, as David states, to see the play as its own entity, and not indulge in fruitless comparisons with Ang's film adaptation.

I do note that the actors playing Jack and Ennis seem a bit less glamorous than Jake and Heath, which to my mind is actually a positive element (Annie's characters are distinctly lacking glamor). Also, judging from the production photos, a rather stylized approach is being taken with the material, no doubt resulting from the distinct parameters offered by the theatrical experience. I imagine the story is being treated like a memory play (a 'ghost sonata', a la Strindberg), and this would be most appropriate in light of the mood of the original story.

I agree with you that we should see the play in its own right and not compare it to the movie. That, I think is what the director tried to say but he sounded a bit arrogant saying it!  ;)

What I am really curious about is if the chemistry between the actors is good enough and if they make the audience really believe the love between Jack and Ennis.

Also, I think the dialogue will be interesting, seeing that in another interview (that I still have to translate) I read that they have taken all the dialogue directly from the short story, and that they have used only Annie's text and have not added anything.

And then there are the songs... can't help but feel nervous about that... :-\

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 02:29:14 am »
Once again I am in awe of the non-native English-speakers English skills on this thread. 

:)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 03:50:49 am »
Once again I am in awe of the non-native English-speakers English skills on this thread. 

:)

I do too Clarissa! It's amazing. And Melissa's translation is so much easier to read than....

" But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) "

So much for <cough> technology <cough>. haha.

But I'll throw the computer a bone for its effort.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 03:21:25 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read any reviews yet? I'm very curious about how this play will be received. Let us know if you hear anything.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
Hey Mel! Have you read any reviews yet? I'm very curious about how this play will be received. Let us know if you hear anything.

I have googled for it, but I haven't found anything yet! I will continue looking, otherwise my review will be the first!  ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 05:06:16 pm »
I have googled for it, but I haven't found anything yet! I will continue looking, otherwise my review will be the first!  ;)

when is it you go and see it?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 05:07:47 pm »
when is it you go and see it?

This Saturday!!!!  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 09:00:56 pm »
A play of Brokeback is such a great idea!  I can imagine that it could work really well as a play (if done properly of course).  I would love, love, love to see it.  And, I would also love to go to Amsterdam in order to do so... that's one fine city (I've only been there once but I loved my visit there).  But, unfortunately, for now I'm stuck in Pittsburgh.
 :-\

Thanks for all these great translations and pics!

:-*
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 09:15:03 pm »
This Saturday!!!!  :D

Can't wait for your review....have a great time.

There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx