Author Topic: Coincident or Deeper meaning  (Read 5647 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Coincident or Deeper meaning
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 12:55:06 am »
Meryl,
Thank you for finding and describing the numerous parallels so beautifully.
The last time I saw the film in the theater, it struck me so hard when Jr.'s face absolutely glows with happiness when Ennis says he'll be at her wedding. I couldn't help but think that Jack's face would have been alight with joy, just like that and more, if Ennis had ever said yes to a life with him.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:28:14 am »
I think it's probable the bluebird earrings are a way of suggesting Alma, Jr.'s similarities to Jack as an influence in Ennis's life. 

Next to Jack, she is the person Ennis cares most about and has the idealism of youth.  Like Jack, she loves Ennis unconditionally and seems to understand him better than others.  She tries to come live with Ennis but doesn't press the issue when he refuses.  In the final scene, she receives the sacrifice that Ennis would have gladly made for Jack at that point if it were not now too late.

Ang Lee and the writers make the parallel even stronger by bookending the first and last scenes in the movie.  In each, Ennis is alone outside a trailer when Jack/Junior drives up.  They are the same age in their respective scenes, too.

There ya go!  I knew someone would find the nugget in there that Ang Lee left for us to find!  Well done Meryl and thanks for the insight.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:38:21 am »
Shucks, guys, thanks!  :-*

It comes from hanging out on Casey Cornelius threads.  You start seeing things you never thought were there.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 07:00:50 pm »
Meryl, I'm with everyone else on this.  It's been a right many days since some new major symbolism/symmetry got pointed out to me.  Thanks Girlfriend.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 07:28:59 pm »
Thanks, Elle!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...