Author Topic: Bull-riding on TV!  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Bull-riding on TV!
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:09 pm »
Hey there Buckaroos,

I just sat down to flip through the TV channels and stumbled across professional bull-riding on NBC!  It's some big tournament in Atlanta.  So, instead of watching the Food Network I've found myself hooked on watching this.  It's amazing how something like this has taken on deep levels of meaning and significance for me following Brokeback (before Brokeback I probably wouldn't have stopped to watch something like this... I'm sure I would have kept flipping).  It seems like I'm finding more and more rodeo events on TV lately (I don't know what's up with that, I've stumbled across two or three bull-riding events on TV- on different channels- over the last few months).  Other than Brokeback I'm a complete novice when it comes to subjects like this.  So, I'm a bit in awe of what I'm seeing.

Some poor guy just got his hand caught in the rope and was dragged all over the ring.  Very, very scary.  The rodeo clowns couldn't pull him free.  He only broke free after the bull slammed him into the fence.  Talk about drama.
 :o  :o

Anyway, it's unavoidable to see all the guys who chose to wear black hats (which seems to be most of them) as multiple Jack Twists.  And now all those rodeo clowns will forever be Jimbo to me.  ::) ;)

I love that Wrangler is one of the big corporate sponsors.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Bull-riding on TV!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:17:06 pm »

Yup, Wrangler makes a BIG DEAL outta that in its advertising.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:33:32 pm »
Wish I hadn't been at work. :(
Have you seen Rank, Amanda? Very good documentary. Jeff posted about it some months back. 
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5007.0html
One advantage of a DVD is watching the rides in slow motion. Hard to believe the punishment the riders and clowns take and keep going. And this is the era of protective vests, collars, helmets (for some of the riders), medical help on the spot...not like in Jack's day.
The interviews are interesting, and moving. Especially the one with Justin McBride's grandmother, the wife of the bullrider who was killed. Complicated emotions.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:02:47 pm »
Rank is out on DVD?  :o

I hadn't heard!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:16:36 pm »
Yep, it's for rent from Netflix, and it'll be for sale on Amazon April 3.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 11:22:30 pm »
Yep, it's for rent from Netflix, and it'll be for sale on Amazon April 3.

Good to know! Thanks!

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:07:54 am »
*snip*

I love the way Wranglers fit them cowboys.... ;D

oughta be a law that everybody got to wear them... 8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:36:20 am »
I love the way Wranglers fit them cowboys.... ;D

oughta be a law that everybody got to wear them... 8)

You bet!  ;D

Levis don't look right. ...  >:(

injest

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 03:09:48 am »
You bet!  ;D

Levis don't look right. ...  >:(

yep....form themselves to that behiney and leaves enough room 'up front' for ....well I don't know a ladylike way to say it....but YOU know what I am talking about.

(the boys need a little room)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:53:25 pm »
yep....form themselves to that behiney and leaves enough room 'up front' for ....well I don't know a ladylike way to say it....but YOU know what I am talking about.

(the boys need a little room)

Levi's used to do that. Used to be practically required to wear Levi's button-fly 501s if you were a self-respecting gay male. Now them damn jeans don't fit for sh*t.  >:(

I used to complain that was because Levi's took its manufacturing "off shore," but then I noticed my newest pair of Wranglers have a tag that says "Made in Mexico."  :-\