Author Topic: Do You Have Any Plans For Valentine's Day?  (Read 89500 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Do You Have Any Plans For Valentine's Day?
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 04:08:09 am »
This is amazing, Lynne & Lee! :o

Maurice is one of my very most favourite movies of all time, right up there with Brokeback Mountain and Beautiful Thing. 

Not many people seem to have heard of it. I'm obviously in very good company here at BettterMost (but I already knew that!)  :D

:)  I apparently have disordered my Netflix queue because I had Gods & Monsters instead of Maurice.  I'll go make sure Maurice is next.  It's my intention to catch up on all the G/L cinema I missed the first half of my life.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:25 am »
Add me to that list David, I'm a big Merchant Ivory fan and have read all of EM Forresters works.  I've seen Maurice almost as many times as I saw Brokeback  :D  Like Leslie I saw it in the theater the first few times.

Rarely snows where I live either Kerry...they don't call it Sunny Southern California for nothin  ;)  Of course we did have snow in Malibu this January for the first time in 80 years  ::)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 05:54:04 am »
What are you trying to ignore Jeff? The storm? Good luck! I have 5 huge snow devils in front of my house and another one is trying to form on my driveway.

I think I'll be spending Valentine's Day snowed in.  :(

Could someone please explain to a snowless Aussie what on earth a snow devil is.  ???

Have I mentioned that it never snows where I live? Sunny, sunny, sunny, all day long!  :D

<Kerry skulks away before the forming posse has an opportunity to lynch him!>   8)

Hmmm, maybe I'd better join Kerry in heading for the hills too.  It was a glorious warm and sunny Valentine's Day here.  Not a single snowflake in sight. ;D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 07:22:54 am »
HAPPY VALENTINE'S EVERYONE!!!

I'm not doing anything special today, since I'm single at this moment. I thought I take myself out for lunch but I hurt my little toe running yesterday and it hurts when I walk.  :-\  It is even bruised. So, I decided to stay home. I'll treat myself during the weekend, I guess. 

But have a great valentine's day people!!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 07:35:28 am »
:)  I apparently have disordered my Netflix queue because I had Gods & Monsters instead of Maurice.  I'll go make sure Maurice is next.  It's my intention to catch up on all the G/L cinema I missed the first half of my life.

Hi Lynne - Here's my all-time favourite gay movies. I can recommend all of them to you. Enjoy!  :D

* Brokeback Mountain

* Maurice

* Beautiful Thing

* Priest

* Death in Venice

* The Naked Civil Servant

* Cabaret

* The Sum of Us

* Swan Lake (Matthew Bourne production)

The Sum of Us is an Australian film made in 1994, starring a very strapping young Russell Crowe, in one of his first starring roles, long before he went to Hollywood. He plays the part of a young gay plumber, living in Sydney. It's a beautiful film. I believe it's one of Russell's best. Have kleenex!

Though it's technically not a film, I can also recommend the Matthew Bourne production of Peter Tchaikovsky's ballet, Swan Lake. This is the gay version, in which the enchanted "swan" that Prince Siegfried falls in love with is male, not the usual female. Tragic gay love at its dramatic best, performed to the immortal, timeless melodies of the very gay Peter Tchaikovsky. It's available on DVD. Have kleenex for this one too!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 11:17:27 am »
I saw Maurice last night! Or should I say, this morning, since I watched it in the wee hours of the nite.

Come over to Arts & Entertainment and discuss it with me today!!

I was also very busy last nite shopping for flowers and candy for my teenaged son to present to his girlfriend "Sweet Melissa" today at school. He is only 15 so he called yesterday evening to ask me to stop on my way home from work and pick some things up. Two roses, one yellow and one white, and chocolates in a heart shaped box. Then, this a.m. I had to take him to school so he wouldn't have to endure taunts on the bus, carrying his presents.

As a valentine gift to myself, I'm planning to take off work early today and go see Jack Kerouac's scroll of "On the Road" which is on display at the downtown library.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 12:56:47 pm »

I thought I take myself out for lunch but I hurt my little toe running yesterday and it hurts when I walk.  :-\  It is even bruised. So, I decided to stay home. I'll treat myself during the weekend, I guess. 

But have a great valentine's day people!!!

Sorry to hear about your little toe Nat! Hope you can run again by the weekend  :)

I was also very busy last nite shopping for flowers and candy for my teenaged son to present to his girlfriend "Sweet Melissa" today at school. He is only 15 so he called yesterday evening to ask me to stop on my way home from work and pick some things up. Two roses, one yellow and one white, and chocolates in a heart shaped box. Then, this a.m. I had to take him to school so he wouldn't have to endure taunts on the bus, carrying his presents.

That's very sweet of you ! 'Sweet Melissa' will be impressed, I'm sure.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Scott6373

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 12:58:42 pm »
Ok...as predicted...we are getting walloped with snow...I thought that it would mean a cozy day inside with a little (or a lot) of Valentine's Day nooky...but the man went to work..in a blizzard...how depressed am I?

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 01:00:11 pm »
Thanks, Fabienne! I asked my son why he was attracted to 'Sweet Melissa' and he said, she is funny, and she is like a best friend that I can hang with. I want to be like that!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 01:06:31 pm »
Ok...as predicted...we are getting walloped with snow...I thought that it would mean a cozy day inside with a little (or a lot) of Valentine's Day nooky...but the man went to work..in a blizzard...how depressed am I?

No Valentine Nooky? Now that just doesn't sound right atall  :(

Look on the bright side: after a hard day shovelling snow, you'll have earned yourself at least a little backrub  ;)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'