Author Topic: Where was Ennis coming from? Going to?  (Read 16917 times)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Where was Ennis coming from? Going to?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 04:20:55 pm »
That's kind of a funny question, what did Alma see in Ennis? Well, what did Cassie see in him? What did Jack see in him? What about Annie Proulx, Ossana and McMurtry and millions of us? Aside from the fact that he is eye candy and a bona fide Marlboro Man, Ennis is certainly not vain or stuck up, and he has an air of a little lost boy who needs to be loved. Plus he represents a challenge that any red-blooded female would relish. Irresistable!
I second that, Front-Ranger. Ennis is bloody gorgeous. I am totally in love with him, too.

::)

moremojo

Re: What Jack saw in Ennis
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 05:57:31 pm »
Their attraction to each other is rooted (IMNSHO) in their lonliness.

Now, that makes perfect sense. I am totally buying that explanation for why they fell in love with each other so quickly. Really, I am! These were two very lonely boys, especially Ennis. But as for the steady, dependability part, no, it takes time for someone to demonstrate that they're dependable. I don't buy that you can really know that about someone right from the get-go.
All good points that have been made, and I would add that I suspect that part of what attracted Jack to Ennis is precisely Ennis's loneliness--his desperate need for love. Jack was a nurturer, and I think he intuitively sensed how bereft Ennis was of love. Jack's "It's all right...it's all right", in the second tent scene, may have been the most loving words Ennis had heard in his life up to that point (and it breaks my heart to imagine that). In contemporary terms, Jack might be termed a "co-dependant" kind of personality, an appellation that I find tends to trivialize or subvert the innate, natural human yearning not only to receive love but to give it.

Another element of Jack's attraction to Ennis, I think, was his recognition that Ennis was an excellent cowboy. Both the boys have great respect and admiration for the cowboy's image and life, and in Ennis Jack found an exemplary model who responded to him with interest and affection.

Just some thoughts...

Scott

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
From the short story -

They were  respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had  been expected. Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous,  drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white  out of the moon.   

That's a good enough reason right there.

It's interesting, it seems like there are sort of two views on Jack falling in love, and staying in love, with Ennis.  There's the "it doesn't make sense, he's too uptight, he never gives enough" school of cerebral thought, and there's the "OMG, yum yum, me love too" school of PHROAHH (that British sound some of you make).  I'm in the second school.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 11:19:08 pm »
I agree with moremojo that Ennis's loneliness brought out Jack's nurturing instincts, and that Jack was lonely, too.  In the few homosexual relationships Jack may have had before meeting Ennis, he hadn't met with anyone who was willing to form an emotional bond.  Ennis didn't know how not to bond, as much as he might have been denying it to himself.

But Ennis had a wild side, too, and I think that's what kept Jack coming back.  Ennis's taciturn, repressed exterior hid a volatile temper and a personality that could go "full throttle."  Jack loved to ride bulls, chose mares with low startle points, opted for the excitement of the rodeo life.  It seems he chose his man the same way.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 11:42:39 pm »
But Ennis had a wild side, too, and I think that's what kept Jack coming back.  Ennis's taciturn, repressed exterior hid a volatile temper and a personality that could go "full throttle."  Jack loved to ride bulls, chose mares with low startle points, opted for the excitement of the rodeo life.  It seems he chose his man the same way.  ;)

Meryl, you are in the saddle!  Good work.  You are dripping pearls today.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 12:03:37 am »
Just to be utterly geeky, back in October or so when I first read the short story, I did a search on the USGS website for any name like Signal, Wyoming. Here's the page with all the results: http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/ngm_PN_dbi.pl.

Signal Mountain, Signal Peak, Signal Butte, Signal Hill, Signal Point...

I thought Brokeback Mountain was probably in the Wind Rivers, or in the Gros Ventres, kinda between Dubois and Jackson. Ang Lee apparently liked the look of the Bighorns, though.

And I've been thinking about what Jack liked about Ennis. And I was thinking about how all sorts of people seem to think Jack's no good at what he does, or what he ought to do (Jack's father, Aguirre, those Texans talking about how Jack used to ride bulls, Lureen commenting about "our only combine salesman"). And I was thinking that Ennis gives Jack a hard time, but doesn't seem to think any less of Jack. So maybe Jack feels like he can be himself around Ennis. (Or at least, be himself except for not being able to come out and tell Ennis about being in love and stuff.)

Howdy, by the way. Meryl's an old friend of mine, and she told me you folks were nice. Hope you don't mind the intrusion.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 12:14:33 am »
Meryl, you are in the saddle!  Good work.  You are dripping pearls today.

Ooh, I like that.  From now on, I am always going to wear pearls when I ride.  ;D

Naky, you make a good point about Ennis letting Jack be himself.  That worked the other way, too.  Love does wonders for one's self esteem, and those boys sure needed it.  Glad to see you here!  I know the folks will realize right soon what a jewel has appeared in our midst.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 12:28:22 am »
You can call me Mel with this ID, Meryl. "nakymaton" is just too awkward for a decent nickname.

Is this the kind of board where I can admit that I have fantasies about driving through Riverton, stopping at the post office, and sending post cards? And that I know my husband will roll his eyes when he figures out what I'm doing?

vkm91941

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 12:42:42 am »
You can call me Mel with this ID, Meryl. "nakymaton" is just too awkward for a decent nickname.

Is this the kind of board where I can admit that I have fantasies about driving through Riverton, stopping at the post office, and sending post cards? And that I know my husband will roll his eyes when he figures out what I'm doing?

OH YES!! this is totally the place for those kinds of fantasies!  We've all got em here. ::)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 08:41:43 am »
 ;D Oh, good. Thanks, vkm.

I had a thought related to Ennis and Jack's hometowns, brought on by reading this thread.

So Sage and Lightning Flat are in opposite corners of Wyoming. But they're also in really different landscapes.

When you think of Wyoming, you probably picture the big gorgeous mountains: the Tetons, the Wind Rivers, the Bighorns. Most of the state isn't like that, though. The eastern part of the state is mostly the western part of the Great Plains: there are isolated mountain ranges that pop up as far east as the Black Hills over the border in South Dakota, but mostly its wide open spaces, not much topography, grassland and sagebrush and rangeland. Not many trees. Long distances to the horizon. Boring as anything to drive across. And the wind, oh, the wind.

The western side of the state is a bit different, though. There's a range of smaller mountains west of highway 189, mostly fairly low (the peaks are around maybe 11,000 feet, but most of the mountains are lower, not quite above treeline). The moutains and valleys run north-south, so you can drive long distances in one direction, but there aren't many places to cross the divides and head west into Utah or east into the rest of Wyoming. Pretty country, actually, with trees on the mountainsides and small ranches in the valleys. (The green in the valleys is probably from irrigation, though, I would guess.) It kind of surprises me that there were 43 miles without a curve in the road in Sage, actually, but I haven't been through Sage itself, so I don't know for sure. Pretty in many ways, but also very isolated -- not spectacular enough to attract tourists and second home buyers, but with enough topography that driving a hundred miles would be hard work. And, maybe more important to thinking about Ennis, it's a place where the horizons are close in, where you can't see that far.

So Jack's from the Plains, from the part of the state that people think of as bleak and uninviting, but also the place where you can see forever if you lift your head and look. The sort of place where somebody like Jack could see the horizons and want to go there and across them and see if there was anything different. "Crazy to be somewhere, anywhere but Lightning Flat."

And Ennis is from the low, not-very-spectacular mountains in the western part of the state, the sort of place where it's hard to see the distance, where the world is hemmed in by topography. Even though Ennis moved, to Riverton, he never tries to push beyond the boundaries of the social world where he grew up.

And I've got to get a three-year-old out of bed, so I'll leave those incomplete thoughts, and hope I haven't mangled the characters to fit the landscape as I picture it in my head.