Author Topic: Does this seem pro-Brokeback?  (Read 7753 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Does this seem pro-Brokeback?
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:49:46 am »
There has been much criticism over Crash winning the Academy Award for Best Picture over the heavily favored front-runner Brokeback Mountain. On March 6, 2006 several journalists wrote articles expressing their dislike over what was being called one of the biggest upsets in Oscar history. Brokeback Mountain led the pre-Oscar award season by winning most of the key pre-cursor honors as well as earning the leading number of Academy Award nominations and its place on over 314 critics top ten lists - more than any other film in 2005. Crash, however, was one of the least honored films of the 5 Best Picture nominees in terms of critics top ten lists, and only garnered 6 nominations.

MSNBC journalist Erik Lundegaard criticized the AMPAS by stating that "The Academy is 78 years old and acting every bit of it, and last night they took another doddering step towards irrelevancy" and "This is the worst best picture winner since 'The Greatest Show on Earth' in 1952."

LA Weekly writer Nikki Finke wrote "Hollywood showed tonight it isn't the liberal bastion it once was. That's pitiful if you're a progressive, and pleasing if you're a conservative." She also accused the Academy of being homophobic, writing "Turns out Hollywood is as homophobic as Red State country. In touch, not out of touch."

The fact that Crash was the least financially successful Best Picture winner in nearly 20 years also raised controversy, as well as the fact that no Best Picture winner has won less then 4 total Oscars since Rocky in 1976.

? ? ? ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:24:09 am by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Does this seem pro-Brokeback?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:59:44 am »

Yup.  Thanks for posting it!!!
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:21:34 am »
Uh-huh.  There is no end to the suck.  It's nice to see it brought back into the spotlight periodically to remind the idiot masses who weren't nearly outraged enough in the first place.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:56:53 am »
Yep, even more reason to believe BBM lost due to cowardiice and politics.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:51:16 am »
Hey slayers, where did this run?
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:26:40 am »
Yes... could you provide a link or somethin?  ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:31 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_%282004_film%29#Academy_Award_Criticism

I wrote it (which explains the bad grammer) on the Crash page of Wikipedia........I was just makin sure that I got my pro-BBM point accross....... ;D

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 11:25:49 am »
Lol, wow I thought it sounded really good...sounded like LA times or something ;) seriously

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:38 pm »
Saw a quote quite recently, maybe it was in a gay rag or something whereas Mr. Tony Curtis was saying that ppl take the Oscars way too seriously and he and Roger Moore  (they were together) might do their own Brokeback Mountain Movie. I wonder if Tony got any bad fan mail. He's infamous in my book.  >:(

Even Spike Lee said given the political mood in the USA (he said this in London) that no movie about gay cowboys was going to win best picture.   

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 02:16:40 pm »
I wrote it (which explains the bad grammer) on the Crash page of Wikipedia........I was just makin sure that I got my pro-BBM point accross....... ;D

Slayers, you ROCK!   Thanks for advancing the cause and doing it so well!!!!!!!!!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.