Author Topic: Does this seem pro-Brokeback?  (Read 7841 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Does this seem pro-Brokeback?
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:49:46 am »
There has been much criticism over Crash winning the Academy Award for Best Picture over the heavily favored front-runner Brokeback Mountain. On March 6, 2006 several journalists wrote articles expressing their dislike over what was being called one of the biggest upsets in Oscar history. Brokeback Mountain led the pre-Oscar award season by winning most of the key pre-cursor honors as well as earning the leading number of Academy Award nominations and its place on over 314 critics top ten lists - more than any other film in 2005. Crash, however, was one of the least honored films of the 5 Best Picture nominees in terms of critics top ten lists, and only garnered 6 nominations.

MSNBC journalist Erik Lundegaard criticized the AMPAS by stating that "The Academy is 78 years old and acting every bit of it, and last night they took another doddering step towards irrelevancy" and "This is the worst best picture winner since 'The Greatest Show on Earth' in 1952."

LA Weekly writer Nikki Finke wrote "Hollywood showed tonight it isn't the liberal bastion it once was. That's pitiful if you're a progressive, and pleasing if you're a conservative." She also accused the Academy of being homophobic, writing "Turns out Hollywood is as homophobic as Red State country. In touch, not out of touch."

The fact that Crash was the least financially successful Best Picture winner in nearly 20 years also raised controversy, as well as the fact that no Best Picture winner has won less then 4 total Oscars since Rocky in 1976.

? ? ? ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:24:09 am by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Does this seem pro-Brokeback?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:59:44 am »

Yup.  Thanks for posting it!!!
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:21:34 am »
Uh-huh.  There is no end to the suck.  It's nice to see it brought back into the spotlight periodically to remind the idiot masses who weren't nearly outraged enough in the first place.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:56:53 am »
Yep, even more reason to believe BBM lost due to cowardiice and politics.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:51:16 am »
Hey slayers, where did this run?
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:26:40 am »
Yes... could you provide a link or somethin?  ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:31 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_%282004_film%29#Academy_Award_Criticism

I wrote it (which explains the bad grammer) on the Crash page of Wikipedia........I was just makin sure that I got my pro-BBM point accross....... ;D

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 11:25:49 am »
Lol, wow I thought it sounded really good...sounded like LA times or something ;) seriously

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:38 pm »
Saw a quote quite recently, maybe it was in a gay rag or something whereas Mr. Tony Curtis was saying that ppl take the Oscars way too seriously and he and Roger Moore  (they were together) might do their own Brokeback Mountain Movie. I wonder if Tony got any bad fan mail. He's infamous in my book.  >:(

Even Spike Lee said given the political mood in the USA (he said this in London) that no movie about gay cowboys was going to win best picture.   

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 02:16:40 pm »
I wrote it (which explains the bad grammer) on the Crash page of Wikipedia........I was just makin sure that I got my pro-BBM point accross....... ;D

Slayers, you ROCK!   Thanks for advancing the cause and doing it so well!!!!!!!!!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Toast

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 03:38:33 pm »
Here are the links to the two articles quoted above

MSNBC journalist Erik Lundegaard criticized the AMPAS by stat....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11700333/

LA Weekly writer Nikki Finke wrote "Holly...
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/what-did-i-tell-you/

the financial info mentioned is obvious to everyone

I tried to watch CArash (downloaded for free) and the racial epithets were numbing.
I don't see how anyone could be positive about such an insulting movie.

Trash and Burn

Offline opinionista

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:40:15 pm »
LA Weekly writer Nikki Finke wrote "Hollywood showed tonight it isn't the liberal bastion it once was. That's pitiful if you're a progressive, and pleasing if you're a conservative." She also accused the Academy of being homophobic, writing "Turns out Hollywood is as homophobic as Red State country. In touch, not out of touch."

When was Hollywood a liberal bastion? ???
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 03:42:08 pm »
And for Crash, winning that Oscar was the worse thing to happen to the film. The win saddles it with a higher expectation than it can meet. I met some people that saw it subsequent to it's win and they expected it to deliver something amazing, and it didn't. Crash is a good film, but amazing, it was not. If it hadn't won. I think those people would have liked it enough. They would have talked about its themes and issue, but instead they're talking about how they were disappointed. In addition, the controversy has also create some bad feelings toward the film. I know quite a few people who liked the film enough have now passionately hate it; refuse to buy the dvd, swore to never see any more Haggis films. The academy for what ever reason really did a disservice to the film going public as well as the film makers involved.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 08:53:49 pm »

Slayers, you ROCK!   Thanks for advancing the cause and doing it so well!!!!!!!!!

No prob... ;)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 09:14:19 pm »
you wrote that? nice Chris! I thought it was professional!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 09:20:41 pm »
Wow Chris... you write like professional!!!!  Thanks for sharing :-*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 09:52:33 pm »
Wow Chris... you write like professional!!!!  Thanks for sharing :-*

Thanks.....no prob! 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:57 pm »
you wrote that? nice Chris! I thought it was professional!

Yep that was me......wrote it last night because I couldn't sleep and I wanted those who read about Crash to know that Brokeback was snubbed.... :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 10:25:17 pm »
Good show, Chris! (you, not "Crash,"--althoigth it was O.K.)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 11:06:50 pm »
Really cool piece. I totally enjoyed reading it. I'm glad it's on Wikipedia, it'll be read by many.

edit: corrected Moni typo/misspeak of writing to reading to avoid confusion
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:29:04 am by vkm91941 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 11:30:25 pm »
Really cool piece. I totally enjoyed writing it. I'm glad it's on Wikipedia, it'll be read by many.

What do you mean writing it?  I wrote that part of the article...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 12:36:01 am »
LOL! I'm sure she was just tired when she wrote that, and didn't *read* it over before she posted.

Anyway, you do us proud brother Slayers!!! Thanks for stepping up to the plate and delivering on the wikipedia front. It will be noticed by many. And you have a nice authoratative but objective sounding voice.

Definitely pro-brokeback.

Jenny

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 01:42:16 am »
Thanks Jenny...glad I can be of some use in this crazy world.... ;D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 09:07:44 am »
Is it just me or has the article for BBM on Wikipedia been shortened or altered.  I do remember the article saying how BBM was inspired by Titanic and I went "say what?"  It had some other observations as well. Now there gone. I know it's an on-line encylcopedia (?sp), which gives them liberty to revise articles as needbe as oppose to one in print.  But Wikipedia is a good source of  info allround. They even have an articel on J.Gy and his "style." 

The movie about vehicle impacts. I never utter the name.  It doesn't exist. The 2005 A.A. didn't happen either. Well, hope Ang Lee,  A Proux and Ossana/McMurtry get some sort of Nobel prize for peace/literature.  There not announced until December. And the Nobel prizes give you money (quite a bit of money), not some cheap-skate art nouveau statue.