Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Convention This Summer  (Read 6922 times)

Offline brokebackvt

• Don't Say Much
Brokeback Mountain Convention This Summer
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:38 am »
It would be an awesome idea to have an International Brokeback
Mountain Convention/Festival this summer.

My thought was that since we may have a Mountain named Brokeback here
in Vermont by the time summer arrives, it would be appropriate to have
the convention/Festival in Vermont, right on top of our own Brokeback
Mountain.

Comments are appreciated!

John

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain Convention This Summer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:17:58 pm »
It would be an awesome idea to have an International Brokeback
Mountain Convention/Festival this summer.

My thought was that since we may have a Mountain named Brokeback here
in Vermont by the time summer arrives, it would be appropriate to have
the convention/Festival in Vermont, right on top of our own Brokeback
Mountain.

Comments are appreciated!

John

I'd be there!  :)

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:15:45 pm »
That sounds like a great idea. Didn't Vermont vote to accept same sex marriages?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:52:07 pm »
John,

I think that a trip to Vermont would just be terrific.  I would try very hard to make it.  I'm hoping that one outcome of the frappr map will be seeing where people are located so we can organize some regional get-togethers as well as a large pilgrimage.

I visited Vermont many times when I was living in Boston and have nothing but fond memories - skiing at Stowe late spring for my birthday, Sugarbush year-round - skiing, mountain biking, phish shows, Mad River Glen just to show how hard-core I am - not a pretty sight, truthfully  ;) [ungroomed, no-frills ski trails, for those not familiar with Mad River].  And Burlington is a great town - made a few excursions to Montreal from there.  I love your state.

That said, I have a lot of demands in my personal and work life, so it would take some careful planning and scheduling for me to make a trip a reality.  I have two unused plane tix in a drawer from trips I've had to cancel at the last minute.

Does anyone know what the latest news is about selecting a peak to be christened?

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 03:33:27 am »
If this actually happens, I am deadset on being there.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:42:24 am »
hrm, I was thinking of going up to Alberta this summer. Way back when some of us were still on imdb, we'd talked about going up there for the full moon of June, to commemorate Jack and Ennis's first tent scene.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 12:11:20 pm »
Starboard -

I agree with you.  I definitely would prefer going to Alberta where the movie was actually filmed.  I would love to be able to see some of the actual locations and Calgary (nearby) is a large city & also where Pierre lives (I believe).  It would be wonderful to have a coversation w/him about the filming.

I know some who live far off were concerned about being able to travel there in 2006 & were looking at a date in 2007.   I unfortunaltely did not save that thread of people interested.

Also, some people are now considering doing a "look/see" for camping or hotel arrangements this year to prepare for next.

I would definitely travel to Alberta in 2007.  So, keep in touch (I have also contacted Newyearsday who also mentioned it) & we will have to post a thread sometime so people can make plans.

LJ
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 12:20:23 pm »
'07 will work for me. a look/see this summer might be my mission this summer then. i'm still trying to work it out. i'm planning a trip to Thailand this coming fall, so Alberta might not happen for me this year either. but at some point in my life, I want to see those beautiful mountains.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 03:01:56 pm »
I'm there-let's make this happen. I so  want to meet some Brokies.

O0

Heathen

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 03:09:50 pm »
2007 would work for me, too.  And I'd love to go to Alberta again.  I went (sort of) camping in Radium Springs, BC (just outside of Alberta) about 8 years ago.  Two girlfriends and I rented a cabin for a week up there.  It had a few basic amenities but was very rustic.  We had a wonderful time.  We spent a day in Banff, Alberta, and another day in Calgary when they both went to get tattoos.  The rest of the time we hiked and sampled the natural hot springs there.

Count me in on whatever develops.  And the way time is flying these days, it'll be here before we know it! 
No more beans!