Author Topic: Movie Discussion: Maurice: caution-spoilers  (Read 12037 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Movie Discussion: Maurice: caution-spoilers
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:24:04 pm »
Join me here in a discussion of the movie Maurice, recommended by BetterMostians!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:04:19 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Movie Discussion: Maurice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:40:26 pm »
Hurray! I absolutely love this movie, Lee..  :D

My first contribution..something I did a while back ..   

Where shall we begin?  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:23 pm »
Thanks, Milli!

While watching this movie last night the first thing I noticed is that Maurice is pronounced like Morris!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »
Watching Maurice made me appreciate Ang Lee because he encouraged the actors to be rough and manly in their lovemaking, whereas Merchant and Ivory had the actors treating each other as if they were made of china, LOL!

I had the urge to physically push those guys together!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:42 pm »
One of my absolute fave scenes from the movie:

When they were sitting in Maurice's room after the "vac" and they were asking each other how their holidays were ..
and how they slowly touched each other, ever so gently, then hugged and almost kissed before the other lads barged in and destroyed the moment.  I love that scene - it was so well done .. their feelings were palpable.   :)

Remember when they skipped classes that day and spent the afternoon in the fields, Clive wouldn't let Maurice kiss him.  I always wondered why .. They were obviously attracted to each other and were falling in love .. But when Maurice tried to kiss him, Clive said "No..don't.  I think it'll bring us down..".  What did he mean by that?  Thoughts?  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:15:39 pm by Lucise »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:25 pm »
Watching Maurice made me appreciate Ang Lee because he encouraged the actors to be rough and manly in their lovemaking, whereas Merchant and Ivory had the actors treating each other as if they were made of china, LOL!

I had the urge to physically push those guys together!

I know .. But I guess things were more delicate back then ..
Afterall, Maurice and Clive were Cambridge scholars, I am sure they were expected to act like gentlemen!  ;)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:14:44 pm »
I have not seen that movie in some time.  There were some really romantic scenes from what I remember.  Howard's End, Maurice and A Room With A View are my favorite Merchant and Ivory films. 

I remember in Maurice that the teacher had drawn something in the sand on the beach with a stick while trying to explain the birds and the bees to the main character...  The teacher forgot to remove his drawings and the waves didn't come in time. Some proper women stumbled upon it and were quite shocked. This was at the film's beginning.

I also remember the main character going to a charlatan looking to get cured of his homosexuality and him confiding in a friend that he's got the Oscar Wilde disease.  The friend said nonsense and he just hasn't found the right women. Something to that effect.

It's a good film.  The book was written in the early part of the 20th century but wasn't published until after the author's death in the 1960's.

I won't write anymore as I don't want to give away anything.  ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:18:47 pm »
I also remember the main character going to a charlatan looking to get cured of his homosexuality and him confiding in a friend that he's got the Oscar Wilde disease.  The friend said nonsense and he just hasn't found the right women. Something to that effect.

Another great scene.
I believe the doctor he was consulting was his father.  Right? 
It was heartbreaking when he said: "In my own sick way, I have kept myself clean" .. I'm an unspeakable of the Oscar Wilde sort." .."Am I diseased?  Can I be cured?" 
So sad ..  :-\

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:15 pm »
It has been along time since I saw it too, I think I will have to watch it again.

If I am remembering right, it is belived Forster wrote the story about 1908, but may not have shown it to anyone. It was discovered after his death in 1970 and published then.

I love line Wayne reminded me of recently, Scudder saying: "And don't delay!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 02:46:02 pm »
From Wikipedia I have this bit about E.M. Forster that reminded me of Ennis:

"He traveled in Egypt, Germany and India with the classicist Goldsworthy Lowes Dickinson in 1914. Doing war work for the Red Cross in Egypt, in the winter of 1916-17, he met in Alexandria a tram conductor, Mohammed el-Adl, a youth of seventeen with whom he fell in love and who was to become one of the principal inspirations for his literary work. Mohammed died of tuberculosis in Alexandria in spring of 1922. After this loss, Forster was driven to keep the memory of the youth alive, and attempted to do so in the form of a book-length letter, preserved at King's College, Cambridge. The letter begins with the quote from A.E. Housman "Good-night, my lad, for nought's eternal; No league of ours, for sure" and concludes with an acknowledgement that the task of resurrecting their love is impossible."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."