Author Topic: Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....  (Read 16032 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:27:38 pm »
by Country Radio. Despite their impressive wins at the Grammys, "Country Radio" remains cold to the Dixie Chicks. Maybe I should go out and buy one of their CD's.  Are C&W fans the last supporters of Bush? I thought it was the Mormons as "he's our type of guy."  ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070212/ap_en_mu/music_dixie_chicks_revenge

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:56 pm »
They're played all the time on XM radio, and on our local San Jose Country station KRTY 95.3.  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:16 pm »
Not so in TN, Eric - I haven't heard a Dixie Chicks song played on a Nashville radio station since the 'incident.'

All the post-Grammy man-on-the-street interviews were all about how undeserving they were of any wins with a central argument being the criticism of President Bush on foreign soil.

One woman said, in all seriousness, 'It's our duty to support the President, no matter what.'  I was thinking..."You live, where, again??"

Of course, they always find real winners for these spots.

Maybe we can find a BBM-appropriate Dixie Chicks song for BBM Radio in support?

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:22 pm »

One DC song that immediately jumped to mind is the one: Goodbye Earl ..  :P
But that song is way inappropriate for our 'cause' because the lyrics contain the words:
"Earl had to die" .. NO HE DIDN'T!!!  :)

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:51:42 pm »
I say we petition Eric to play a day of the chicks...in protest!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:55:42 pm »
One DC song that immediately jumped to mind is the one: Goodbye Earl ..  :P
But that song is way inappropriate for our 'cause' because the lyrics contain the words:
"Earl had to die" .. NO HE DIDN'T!!!  :)

Excellent point, Milli.  Travelin Soldier also comes to mind because of the 'if the army don't get me' line, but it is clearly, M/F.

I say we petition Eric to play a day of the chicks...in protest!

Could be, Scott - an 'exceptional' day...we could notify their agent, get some press ;).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:49 pm »
ok look, not overly concerned about the 'incident'....but when her reaction was to start referring to me (a country fan) as a back woods redneck that didn't have any sense? turned me off of her.

The one...Natalie. A loud mouth arrogant snot.

Have you listened to their songs? Earl has to die? Please...and that one where they sing out of tune the same line five hundred times??

Country music fans are the ones that raised them up and bought their songs...for them to completely trash all country mausic fans in the terms they used and all...well I am sorry but I won't buy their albums. If they have a right to express themselves than so do the fans...you can't have it both ways.

Natalie is free to say whatever...and I am free to dislike her!!

;)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:06 pm »

They did  do a version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide".  ;)

To be honest, I find most of their music a little on the 'blah' side.  :-\ 
Except "Everybody Knows"!  I Love that song!  :D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:02 pm »
*sigh*

Well, SOMEone is still buying their music because their sales have rebounded well according to various reports.

injest

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:47:41 am »
*sigh*

Well, SOMEone is still buying their music because their sales have rebounded well according to various reports.

why the sigh, Del? Was I too strident there??  ;D ;)

I know they are selling records...so is Michael Jackson....don't buy his stuff anymore either!! Doesn't matter to me if other people buy their stuff. I don't like them (well HER...) so I dont listen. I used to just not like their style of music....always found them to be too....'overwrought'. Have you ever seen their videos when they were the darlings of country music?? Pure stereotypes, Natalie using a handkerchief for a shirt...now with their attitudes about 'all country fans are backwood, inbred, gap toothed rednecks that doesn't understand their music anyway" and "our fan base was never THEM anyway" I don't waste my time listening to them. Were they really thinking they were 'country' or were they mocking their audience? Basic economics tells you that you don't spit in the face of your customers.

Can't expect them to continue to be a customer after that. So yes, they are selling records....but nothing like they were. and their last concert series was a bust. They used to sell out months in advance...they don't anymore. Which is fine. Their choice of course. They want to call us names and mock us? We will keep ourselves and our money home.

Why people want to give them a pass and pretend it is a big Liberal vs Conservative issue is beyond me. If they were store owners that ran a store in minority section of town and began to publicly discuss their contempt for their minority customers, people wouldn't be defending them, telling the minority that they should 'overlook' that and continue shopping there "their store is really nice and that is what is important!"