Author Topic: Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....  (Read 15901 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:27:38 pm »
by Country Radio. Despite their impressive wins at the Grammys, "Country Radio" remains cold to the Dixie Chicks. Maybe I should go out and buy one of their CD's.  Are C&W fans the last supporters of Bush? I thought it was the Mormons as "he's our type of guy."  ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070212/ap_en_mu/music_dixie_chicks_revenge

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Dixie Chicks are still not accepted....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:56 pm »
They're played all the time on XM radio, and on our local San Jose Country station KRTY 95.3.  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:16 pm »
Not so in TN, Eric - I haven't heard a Dixie Chicks song played on a Nashville radio station since the 'incident.'

All the post-Grammy man-on-the-street interviews were all about how undeserving they were of any wins with a central argument being the criticism of President Bush on foreign soil.

One woman said, in all seriousness, 'It's our duty to support the President, no matter what.'  I was thinking..."You live, where, again??"

Of course, they always find real winners for these spots.

Maybe we can find a BBM-appropriate Dixie Chicks song for BBM Radio in support?

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:22 pm »

One DC song that immediately jumped to mind is the one: Goodbye Earl ..  :P
But that song is way inappropriate for our 'cause' because the lyrics contain the words:
"Earl had to die" .. NO HE DIDN'T!!!  :)

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:51:42 pm »
I say we petition Eric to play a day of the chicks...in protest!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:55:42 pm »
One DC song that immediately jumped to mind is the one: Goodbye Earl ..  :P
But that song is way inappropriate for our 'cause' because the lyrics contain the words:
"Earl had to die" .. NO HE DIDN'T!!!  :)

Excellent point, Milli.  Travelin Soldier also comes to mind because of the 'if the army don't get me' line, but it is clearly, M/F.

I say we petition Eric to play a day of the chicks...in protest!

Could be, Scott - an 'exceptional' day...we could notify their agent, get some press ;).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:49 pm »
ok look, not overly concerned about the 'incident'....but when her reaction was to start referring to me (a country fan) as a back woods redneck that didn't have any sense? turned me off of her.

The one...Natalie. A loud mouth arrogant snot.

Have you listened to their songs? Earl has to die? Please...and that one where they sing out of tune the same line five hundred times??

Country music fans are the ones that raised them up and bought their songs...for them to completely trash all country mausic fans in the terms they used and all...well I am sorry but I won't buy their albums. If they have a right to express themselves than so do the fans...you can't have it both ways.

Natalie is free to say whatever...and I am free to dislike her!!

;)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:06 pm »

They did  do a version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide".  ;)

To be honest, I find most of their music a little on the 'blah' side.  :-\ 
Except "Everybody Knows"!  I Love that song!  :D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:02 pm »
*sigh*

Well, SOMEone is still buying their music because their sales have rebounded well according to various reports.

injest

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:47:41 am »
*sigh*

Well, SOMEone is still buying their music because their sales have rebounded well according to various reports.

why the sigh, Del? Was I too strident there??  ;D ;)

I know they are selling records...so is Michael Jackson....don't buy his stuff anymore either!! Doesn't matter to me if other people buy their stuff. I don't like them (well HER...) so I dont listen. I used to just not like their style of music....always found them to be too....'overwrought'. Have you ever seen their videos when they were the darlings of country music?? Pure stereotypes, Natalie using a handkerchief for a shirt...now with their attitudes about 'all country fans are backwood, inbred, gap toothed rednecks that doesn't understand their music anyway" and "our fan base was never THEM anyway" I don't waste my time listening to them. Were they really thinking they were 'country' or were they mocking their audience? Basic economics tells you that you don't spit in the face of your customers.

Can't expect them to continue to be a customer after that. So yes, they are selling records....but nothing like they were. and their last concert series was a bust. They used to sell out months in advance...they don't anymore. Which is fine. Their choice of course. They want to call us names and mock us? We will keep ourselves and our money home.

Why people want to give them a pass and pretend it is a big Liberal vs Conservative issue is beyond me. If they were store owners that ran a store in minority section of town and began to publicly discuss their contempt for their minority customers, people wouldn't be defending them, telling the minority that they should 'overlook' that and continue shopping there "their store is really nice and that is what is important!"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 09:43:13 am »
why the sigh, Del? Was I too strident there??  ;D ;)

;D ;D

No, not at all, I was sighing because those Red State W supporters are STILL wearing blinders after all this time.

injest

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 07:18:24 pm »
  ;D ;D

No, not at all, I was sighing because those Red State W supporters are STILL wearing blinders after all this time.

GIRL!! DO not even get me started on that!!

I am so sick of hearing the Republicans making excuses for him and acting like he is some put upon saint. ARGH! They carry on about how he has been the subject of the worst character assassination in all of history! (anyone remember Clinton??)

I would MUCH rather be talking about a stain on a dress than 3000+ dead Americans in a war for Bush's 'legacy'...or the wiretapping of US citizens without a court order....or the detention of civilians without due process....or covert prisons.....or torture BY our own soldiers....and the list goes on...and on....

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 08:08:14 pm »
ok look, not overly concerned about the 'incident'....but when her reaction was to start referring to me (a country fan) as a back woods redneck that didn't have any sense? turned me off of her.

Okay, I don't know when they made that comment, but ..
Maybe they were pissed off because hundreds of their 'fans' took to the streets and burned their CDs .. I don't know .. lol...

injest

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 08:49:56 pm »
Okay, I don't know when they made that comment, but ..
Maybe they were pissed off because hundreds of their 'fans' took to the streets and burned their CDs .. I don't know .. lol...
maybe...but the fans were their customers...they made the choice to stir things up worse rather than try to repair the damage.

Just from a business stand point, you don't set up a franchise to serve a particular audience and then deliberately alienate them...right or wrong their fan base was conservative people living in the south. Highly patriotic, and most voting Republican! I am not gonna fault those people for feeling betrayed. Natalie built up an image and then destroyed it. That was her right absolutely...but it was her choice to do so.

Maybe it is a good thing...their pop music is better than their country was...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:27 pm »
I don't think the Dixie Chick care if the country establishment and Clear Chanel communications won't forgive them. I hear complaints of soldiers dying so they can have the right to speak their minds. And I always counter if they kept silent then, did those solders die for nothing?

I like the Dixie Chicks. They are strong women. I admire strong women.

"I will send my love to you each night,
 on

angel

wings....

Go to sleep, Little Man,

Sweet dreams, Little Man..."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Toast

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:21 pm »
I like the Dixie Chicks. They are strong women. I admire strong women.

Touché Shakestheground.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »
I understand that some of their Southern Republican fans were peeved when Natalie dissed Bush, but come on, rallying and throwing a CD-burning party in the street was over the top .. there was no revolution taking place .. I can understand women burning their bras .. but Republicans going out to burn Dixie Chick CDs is ..  just not quite the same thing ..  8)

injest

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
The whole thing got completely out of hand...the sparks went all over...drawing in other artists and spilling out on award shows...people on both sides acted stupid but showing southern people as backwards trash is acceptable...even amusing to the educated north!! so it doesn't surprise me that the only things ya'll remember is the bad things the FANS did...and again...I am not talking about the initial incident...that would have gone away if Natalie had not gone her 'country fans are idiots' rant...and then started trashing anyone that dared to question her.

I don't see Natalie as a strong woman...rather an immature brat with a big mouth..

just my opinion...ya'll are welcome to like them !!

;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 11:10:34 pm »
Yeah, I can see where your comming from with Natalie, I hadn't thought of it that way.

But damn them girls can sing!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:33 pm »
Yeah Milli, burning shit is a time honored tradition down here, somepeople even burned Elvis's albums, and especially the Beatles, and crosses and houses and anything that offends them, it is some kind of purification ritual I think.

And the Nazi's burned books.

>:(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 11:41:30 pm »
The thing I worry about here is how/when radio stations decided not to play DC's after the 'incident.'  It's sort of a chicken/egg question, but I wonder how much conservative base outrage led to removing them from playlists vs. publicizing N's remarks about Bush and removing them from playlists fueled the outrage?

I know I see conspiracies in every shadow, and it doesn't make it OK for N to paint their fanbase with the same brush, still, though.  I can see how a total lack of support would make her want to lash out.  Certainly, they paid an economic price for the allegedly 'free' speech.

??? :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 01:24:56 am »
The thing I worry about here is how/when radio stations decided not to play DC's after the 'incident.'  It's sort of a chicken/egg question, but I wonder how much conservative base outrage led to removing them from playlists vs. publicizing N's remarks about Bush and removing them from playlists fueled the outrage?

I know I see conspiracies in every shadow, and it doesn't make it OK for N to paint their fanbase with the same brush, still, though.  I can see how a total lack of support would make her want to lash out.  Certainly, they paid an economic price for the allegedly 'free' speech.

??? :-\

it was a slow progression...some of the really really conservative stations pulled them. They got publicity, the press asked The DC what they thought, DC went off on country fans, then fans began to tell the stations to pull them. then there was MORE publicity, and other country stars were asked about it. then DC attacked them for what they percieved as attacks...and it snowballed.

The problem you have with any group of people is they don't want to think for themselves. they want to feel like they are 'doing something' about an issue. but they don't want to be put out to do it. So you have people burning cds. cause it makes them feel like they really did something. although it changed nothing.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 02:40:18 am »
I haven't heard any Dixie Chick songs played on the Indianapolis country music stations since the incident. I listen to WFMS nearly 24 hours a day. They have boycotted the DC's all along. So have the other stations here.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 05:25:11 am »

Well i spied a soap box, and had to jump on it.!!personally i dont like the Dixie Chicks, not
because of what they said either time.  Simply because i dont care for their music...I am
a true country fan, but holy cats that girls whiney twang gets too me.. but having said that
I will fight to the death for her rights to say anything any time, and anywhere..Those idiots
that followed after Bush like so many Aguirre sheep, are like a lynch mob.  They really
make me mad...I dont think just because you have the upper hand at a give time, in,
politics especially.  That you should then proceed to stiffle and snuff every voice of dissent.
For that fact alone, i salute them and the stand that they made and the; may i say (balls) to
make that statement.  Its much harder to say something like that when the majority are
coming toward you with the noose.  Good for them. good for them.

Beautiful mind

injest

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 07:13:54 pm »
I haven't heard any Dixie Chick songs played on the Indianapolis country music stations since the incident. I listen to WFMS nearly 24 hours a day. They have boycotted the DC's all along. So have the other stations here.

PFFT

Indiana is NOT the South!!

injest

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 07:15:28 pm »
Well i spied a soap box, and had to jump on it.!!personally i dont like the Dixie Chicks, not
because of what they said either time.  Simply because i dont care for their music...I am
a true country fan, but holy cats that girls whiney twang gets too me.. but having said that
I will fight to the death for her rights to say anything any time, and anywhere..Those idiots
that followed after Bush like so many Aguirre sheep, are like a lynch mob.  They really
make me mad...I dont think just because you have the upper hand at a give time, in,
politics especially.  That you should then proceed to stiffle and snuff every voice of dissent.
For that fact alone, i salute them and the stand that they made and the; may i say (balls) to
make that statement.  Its much harder to say something like that when the majority are
coming toward you with the noose.  Good for them. good for them.

*SHOVE Ol Ifnyacantfixit off the soap box!!!*

*RUN LIKE HECK!!!*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 07:17:33 pm »
Jess ~

What did you think of Natalie's "Heh-heh" Simpsons quote after they won a Grammy?  ;D
I bet she pissed more people off with that .. lol..

injest

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 07:26:50 pm »
Jess ~

What did you think of Natalie's "Heh-heh" Simpsons quote after they won a Grammy?  ;D
I bet she pissed more people off with that .. lol..

now HOW'm I gonna watch the Grammy's when Desperate Housewifes is on????! That is just UNAmerican!!

sides....I don't care nothing about watching them hippies!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 07:39:13 pm »
Ah I see! 
What better way of showing your patriotism, eh?  ;D

injest

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 08:00:34 pm »
Ah I see! 
What better way of showing your patriotism, eh?  ;D

ROTF!!!

Yeah!

No seriously, I am not big on Award shows...they are too long...so I usually just watch the highlight shows....like Entertainment Tonight ...to see what everyone was wearing.

so what did Nat say that was so provacative?

(never seen the Simpson's so I don't get the reference to hehehe??)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 08:06:17 pm »
so what did Nat say that was so provacative?

(never seen the Simpson's so I don't get the reference to hehehe??)

No, it was not provocative ..lol.. It was a joke.
She was basically gloating by saying "heh-heh" i.e. look, we are winning all these awards tonight!   :P
She also accepted another award by saying: "I'm ready to make nice!" .. so that was good to know ..  ;D

injest

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 08:16:22 pm »

No, it was not provocative ..lol.. It was a joke.
She was basically gloating by saying "heh-heh" i.e. look, we are winning all these awards tonight!   :P
She also accepted another award by saying: "I'm ready to make nice!" .. so that was good to know ..  ;D

I think they will be MUCH happier and be a better fit in the pop music category. This whole thing may have been just what they needed to find their niche.

Wish them luck ...just not on my radio!!  ;D

injest

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
Besides....aren't you supposed to be working?!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 08:19:02 pm »
Besides....aren't you supposed to be working?!

Nope!  :P

injest

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 08:22:36 pm »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 09:29:34 pm »
PFFT

Indiana is NOT the South!!

Are they still playing the Dixie Chicks on the radio in the South, Jess?  ???

I don't know about other parts of Indiana, but they aren't playing any of their songs in this town. Maybe the South is more forgiving than the Midwest is.  :-\

injest

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 10:47:35 pm »
Are they still playing the Dixie Chicks on the radio in the South, Jess?  ???

I don't know about other parts of Indiana, but they aren't playing any of their songs in this town. Maybe the South is more forgiving than the Midwest is.  :-\

heck no they are not being played down here....but everyone is saying that it is those stupid southerners that have a problem with the DC...but that is not really true. There are country fans all over the country!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 11:12:38 pm »
heck no they are not being played down here....but everyone is saying that it is those stupid southerners that have a problem with the DC...but that is not really true. There are country fans all over the country!

That's the truth. Country music is VERY popular in Indiana. It always has been. I was raised on country music. So were most of my friends.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 09:06:59 pm »
First of all, you don't go outside your country and disparage the president, at least I don't, -- and expect everybody to be okay with it.  And if you do--you have the right--but you gotta take the consequences of your actions.

Second of all, you don't poop in your own nest. The DC, or at least one of them, said things about country music/fans that wasn't so complimentary. We have plenty of others to spend money on. You gotta consider your demographics.

They've crossed over. That's fine. We have Rascal Flatts.  ;D

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 11:46:09 pm »
First of all, you don't go outside your country and disparage the president, at least I don't, -- and expect everybody to be okay with it.  And if you do--you have the right--but you gotta take the consequences of your actions.

Second of all, you don't poop in your own nest. The DC, or at least one of them, said things about country music/fans that wasn't so complimentary. We have plenty of others to spend money on. You gotta consider your demographics.

They've crossed over. That's fine. We have Rascal Flatts.  ;D

yeah!

I didn't like them back before all this. Don't like their 'style'.

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 12:00:41 am »
I love the Dixie Chicks and stopped listening to my local country music stations when they were pressured by the industry to stop playing DC music. The DC still sell lots of records to folks like me. Their latest and Emmy winning album is the best ever. All she said is that she was ashamed the president is from Texas, Hell, I'm ashamed he is from any state in the USA.

I remember when America stood for the concepts of freedom of speech and the constitution was still followed and respected. This however was BgwB (before Bush). Maybe you'all don't remember those good ol' days. I sure do.

injest

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 12:13:45 am »
That is ok...I don't mind if other people listen to them. And I wasnt that upset with them for what they said about Bush, I was upset about what they said about country fans...and other country singers.

They have a right to say whatever they want...and the radio stations have a right not to play them. That is as free as you can get!

Any time you decide to exercise your freedoms you MUST be willing to take the consequences.

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 01:36:00 am »
I understood that some people did not want to hear DC anymore but they tried to take away my right to hear DC music. I really don't like Toby Keith but I've never called the radio station and demanded they not play him and I certainly never made any death threats about it. I just turn the channel if I don't like the song or the musician, I would never presume to tell you what you can listen to.

I think that the comments about country stations and fans were made after the death threats and the other insanity and I can say that I was also seriously concerned about the mental health status of some country listeners myself when I heard about it. I can't imagine being a young mother and musician hearing those death threats and abuse and still preforming so bravely.