Author Topic: Have you ever been canned?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Have you ever been canned?
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:15:36 pm »
Don't ask me why I am starting this poll ..  pure and simple curiosity, I guess!  8)

Feel free to share some of your funniest/freakiest stories about this .. if you got any!  :)

Scott6373

Re: Have you ever been canned?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:17:16 pm »
Never sacked, but walked out on many.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:23:36 pm »
As a teen, I didn't give notice once to a restaurant after I saw they were re-using open dishes of sour cream, mixing it back in with the big container if much hadn't been used.  Yuck!  Turned those folks in to the health department, but nothing came of it that I know about - they went on operating for years.  I never went back, but there's a good Mexican restaurant there now.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:26:55 pm »
I've been fired four or five different times that I can think of. But, I'm sure there's a couple of times I don't remember so it's really more like 6 or 7 times probably.

But I've been working for 28 years, and a few of them weren't my fault IMO.

I'm gonna shut up now while I'm still ahead.  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:35:42 pm »
Hey, don't shut up David!  We love listening to ya ..  ;D

I have never been fired .. I guess I always quit the jobs I didn't like before THEY figured it out and fired me..  ;)
At one of the telemarking jobs I've done in the past (please don't shoot me on account of the telemarketing thing, I was desperate ..  ;D ) .. I was summoned by the supervisor one day and basically issued a warning.  Why, you ask?  One of the creeps working at this place went and complained that the sweater I was wearing was too low cut ( I guess it was distracting him ..  ::) ) .. There was nothing wrong with this sweater, it was not revealing in any way .. lol, anyway, the supervisor tried to be nice about it, but the whole thing was so absurd.  I couldn't understand how he noticed my sweater to begin with, we were all sitting infront of computer terminals all day ..lol.
Well, I quit a week after that incident .. that was the last straw, seeing as I didn't like the job from the start ..lol.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:50:10 pm by Lucise »

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:49:10 pm »
I've yet to be dismissed from a job (knock on wood), but I've been threatened with dismissal once, quite a few years ago...for excessive and consistent tardiness in arriving in the morning. It's a painful and embarrassing subject for me, but I've never mastered the art of greeting the dawn in a prompt and fresh manner (I would make a disastrous ranch hand).

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:53:45 pm »
I've never mastered the art of greeting the dawn in a prompt and fresh manner (I would make a disastrous ranch hand).

Well, you are not alone on this one, Scott.
But when you call it "the art of greeting the dawn" - I feel like I am definitely missing out by not being able to wake up before 8am some days ..  ;)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 07:07:40 pm »
I've been fired just one time in my life. My story is not a very nice one, but I'll tell it anyway. I have a hearing disability. I can speak normally but I have lots of trouble understanding if I'm not reading lips. Well, when I was in New York I applied for a job in spanish newspaper. It was a multitasking postition because the newspaper didn't make enough money to hire more people. So I wrote news, translate news pieces, columns and such into Spanish, acted as an asistant to the publisher, prepared the newspapers dummie. The job also required that I answered the phone, but I couldn't. 

At the interview, I explained my hearing disability, showed them medical proof about it and all. They said they were looking for somebody who could answer the phones, so I left thinking I wasn't getting the job. But I did. Before signing the contract I contacted The League the Hard of Hearing, and they contacted the paper. I told them that I could not hear well with amplifier devices but the paper wanted me to try them anyway, so I agreed (I needed a job badly. New York is expensive!). But I couldn't. So, I talked to my bosses ( I had three given the multitasking nature of my position) and offered to switch that part of the job for something else. I suggested I did someone else's job in exchange of not having to answer the goddamned phone. They agreed, but one of the bosses was not happy with it.

After after a month or so, I got a notification that I was being laid off. In the end, I was in fact fired, not laid off and the paper ended up having to pay a fine for firing me for discrimination reasons, and paying me a compensation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:30:23 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 07:18:35 pm »
Lets see....  Twice I think.   

First time is when I was selling cars for National Car Rental.     I ran the office along side the Rental Office.    I went on vacation for two weeks and when I came back I found all my cars forsale had been rented while I was gone.   The lot was empty!   I was furious!    Nothing I could do except start from scratch picking out an inventory as they returned.   Meanwhile, a bigshot from Corporate Headquarters was in and asked how many cars I sold that month.  None was the answer.    He walked over and sacked me on the spot.   I walked into my bosses Office and thanked him for not standing up for me.     By the time I got home there was a message asking me to come back.

The second time was at my previous job in Customer Service.   All of my coworkers and Managers were stuck in the owners office listening to him BS about his evening dinner.  I was suddenly barraged by customers from three different doors plus 4 different phones were ringing.   I knocked on the door and asked if some of the guys could come out and help.   The guys all jumped out of their chairs and ran to help me.    A few minutes later the owner came out and screamed at me for interupting his "meeting".  He screamed obscenities and told me that "he" owned the company and that I should get the hell out.   So I did.   

Apparently the Managers all told him that he was wrong and they called me at home and begged me to come back.   The owner never apologized.      Ironically I outlasted all the managers and eventually became the General Manager of the Company.      Too bad the Owner had no business plan and went out of business.   

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 07:27:22 pm »
Lets see....  Twice I think.   

I guess the fact that they begged you to come back after that cancels out the firing part, right?  ;)
I think I have been lucky with most of the bosses I've had so far (hope it stays that way..) 
Who needs an uber-demanding, micro-managing type milling around them day in and day out... :-\