Author Topic: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 111019 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:09 pm »
Random sentence for today. The last Jack and Ennis ever knew of each other:

"Jack heard his spurs tremble as he mounted, the words 'See you tomorrow,' and the horse's shuddering snort, grind of hoof on stone.

For some reason, I thought the last words were "See you in the morning." Was that the way it was in the movie?

I love the references to metal (spurs), air (horse's snorting), bone (hoof) and earth (stone) in this short passage. The presence of water is noticably absent.

I think it was in the movie because the last we see of the two of them together is the Dozy Embrace. They had just had the argument by the lake and Ennis collapses and Jack reaches in and takes him in his arms then it fades off to the dozy embrace. Then back to reality and Ennis is driving off down the road. I think it is see you in the morning but it's been so long since i have seen the movie. God, I think that is the one of the saddest part. Going from the beauty of the Dozy Embrace and the look of sheer contentment and peace on Jacks face to the angry older jack watching Ennis drive off.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:27 pm »
Thanks, Rich. Another reason why I may be confused is because Jack says "See you for supper" and  writes "See you in two weeks fish will be jumping" and Ennis says "Well see you around."

Must schedule another viewing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Is it: "See You in the Morning" or "See You Tomorrow"?
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2008, 04:31:47 pm »
Would like to get an answer on this before moving forward with a new quote from the book.

When he leaves the dozy embrace in the movie, does Ennis say "See you in the morning?"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2008, 12:08:09 am »
Quote for the day:

Tell you what, we could a had a good life together, a fuckin real good life. You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everthing built on that. It's all we got, boy, fuckin all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest. Count the damn few times we been together in twenty years. Measure the fuckin short leash you keep me on, then ask me about Mexico and then tell me you'll kill me for needin it and not hardly never getting it. You got no fuckin idea how bad it gets. I'm not you. I can't make it on a couple a high-altitiude fucks once or twice a year. You're too much for me, Ennis, you son of a whoreson bitch. I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Is it: "See You in the Morning" or "See You Tomorrow"?
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »
Would like to get an answer on this before moving forward with a new quote from the book.

When he leaves the dozy embrace in the movie, does Ennis say "See you in the morning?"

Yes he does. Ennis says:

"I gotta go. [small pause and very small nod from Jack] See you in the morning."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2008, 03:01:22 pm »
Quote for the day:

Tell you what, we could a had a good life together, a fuckin real good life. You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everthing built on that. It's all we got, boy, fuckin all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest. Count the damn few times we been together in twenty years. Measure the fuckin short leash you keep me on, then ask me about Mexico and then tell me you'll kill me for needin it and not hardly never getting it. You got no fuckin idea how bad it gets. I'm not you. I can't make it on a couple a high-altitiude fucks once or twice a year. You're too much for me, Ennis, you son of a whoreson bitch. I wish I knew how to quit you.

The first thing that stands out to me is a difference to the movie.

Book: ... a fucking real good life.You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now...
Movie: We coulda had a good life together. Fuckin real good life. Had us a place of our own. But you ain't want it Ennis. So all we got now...

This difference stands out to me because in the movie I think Jack so so, so wrong about the wanting (respectively not wanting). It's not about "not wanting" on Ennis's side, it's about not daring. Not even daring to contemplate this possibility.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »

The first thing that stands out to me is a difference to the movie.

Book: ... a fucking real good life.You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now...
Movie: We coulda had a good life together. Fuckin real good life. Had us a place of our own. But you ain't want it Ennis. So all we got now...

This difference stands out to me because in the movie I think Jack so so, so wrong about the wanting (respectively not wanting). It's not about "not wanting" on Ennis's side, it's about not daring. Not even daring to contemplate this possibility.

Hi Chrissi,

I completely agree with you that this difference in Jack's statement book vs. film is very significant.  In a way, the statement from the book "You wouldn't do it" seems slightly less depressing than his assertion in the film that Ennis "didn't want it."

And, I also agree with you that somewhere deep down, Ennis probably really did want it.  But, maybe from Jack's perspective (knowing less about Ennis's daily life, and certain aspects of Ennis's motivation, etc. than the viewer/reader), it seemed like Ennis didn't really want it.

Another possibility seems to be that in the statement from the film about "wanting it" might be an attempt at a guilt-trip aimed at Ennis.  It may be something like the stinging "I did once" phrase... meant to make Ennis worry.  The "you didn't want it" statement might also be seen in an equivalent light to Ennis's mean "boys like you" or "because of you I'm like this."  In a way though, the "you didn't want it" statement from Jack also reflects a little bit of Jack's growing hopelessness about the situation, so takes on a different ring than Ennis's accusatory statements.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »
"You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everthing built on that. It's all we got, boy, fuckin all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest."

I find this one of the cruelest and saddest statements in the story. Because Jack is tearing down the illusion that they somehow have been sharing a life instead of living separate and very dissimilar lives.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »
"You wouldn't do it, Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everthing built on that. It's all we got, boy, fuckin all, so I hope you know that if you don't never know the rest."

I find this one of the cruelest and saddest statements in the story. Because Jack is tearing down the illusion that they somehow have been sharing a life instead of living separate and very dissimilar lives.

Very very true.  In the story, in the dozy embrace passage, Annie refers to their "separate and difficult lives".

Offline Artiste

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2008, 12:20:45 pm »
As said:

Plus, said too is:
        "separate and difficult lives".           

And may I say that that is most of humanity finding itself in such separate and difficult lives ! Even most married couples, getting along or not, each think (some times or all the time) that they are in some ways in separate and difficult lives ! ??

At least, some common tie like Brokeback Mountain with Ennis and Jack brought such joys to each and to both !!