Author Topic: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 111191 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Book Discussion: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 12:37:16 pm »
  This is my first read in this thread, i have read it all the way through this morning...I have read some very
interesting comments here.  Each of which is very plausible, and or feasible..I wonder how much of the
discussion is the real intent of Annie, or merely incidental..
   I myself have a few differing opinions also, but it is more interesting to see the thoughts and interpretations, that others have gotten, from the same material..
   There seems to be the undercurrant in the story of Jacks demise, however most of us are so shocked for whatever reason. I dont know if it is the timing, or the deluded thoughts.  Maybe we all want things to turn out well for them, so badly. We refuse to see the reality.  Not sure why the answer.  Maybe its because in the lake scene it appears to be Ennis that needs to be held and cared for.  It is the one place where he is the
one most vulnerable.  He had even been afraid, and reluctant, to tell Jack beforehand, that he wouldnt make it
to the next scheduled meeting.  I never understood that..He never seemed to be afraid to speak to Jack before.  Jack being the only person he felt free to talk about any thing with.

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Why is it called Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 03:58:08 pm »

In the book, when Jack comes to visit after 4yrs, I reads like Ennis knows Alma saw them. Am I mis-reading that or is that correct?

I got the impression that Alma did see them, but that they were on the landing, Jack having took the stairs two and two, and Ennis was glad it was dark on the landing so she could not see how messed up he was. I get the impression he did not know she had seen them.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 04:26:01 pm »
She saw his straining shoulders as he was embracing Jack and that's all she needed to see.

When she answered, "Sure enough" Ennis knew that she knew.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 07:40:15 am »
I don't know if this makes sense or not but here goes.
When reading the story, it seemes as if it was written in Black and White. I mean everything is so drab.
 The only time color is mentioned is blue and the sunrise. Otherwise it's grey and muted.
I don't know, it just struck me that the movie is just beautiful in it's use of color. Everything is so bright and vivd in colors I've never seen this side of dreaming and the book is almost devoid of any bright colors. I'm sure that was intentional on both parts.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2007, 10:45:37 pm »
That is an interesting insight, Lee. You are right that black, white and grey are mentioned prominently. For instance, in the third paragraph, Aguirre's ashtray was mentioned as well as his hair, the color of ash, while the window admitted a triangle of white light. On the mountain, the trees are massed in slabs of somber malachite. The sheep are the color of dirty laundry. In contrast, the dawn is described as orange and pale green (sounds strange, but I have seen dawns like that!) In fact, light and fire are often yellow...the boys sit in the yellow light of a kerosene lantern, while the flames of the campfire are described as yellow silk sashes.

The next day, the colors are enlivened...there is a green washcloth, copper jean rivets, and a lavender sky. And AP actually says that Ennis felt he could paw the white out of the moon! It's almost like that scene in the Wizard of Oz where everything turns from black & white to color!!

Throughout the days on the mountain and their descent, colors are mentioned, but there is a premonition in the worn paint brands on the sheep, the hailstorm, and the early arrival of the white snow. Not much color appears until the reunion, when a soiled orange chair is mentioned in the room at the Motel Siesta. Whites, blacks, and blues predominate, with red represented by the periodic mention of blood. The river is tea-colored and the willows are ochre-branched.

Suddenly, when Ennis finds the shirts, the color red is everywhere, not just used as punctuation as it was before (the ruddy chunks of light, the cherry cake). It was a "gushing nosebleed...when Jack...had slammed Ennis's nose hard with his knee. He had stanched the blood, which was everywhere, all over both of them, with his shirtsleeve, but the stanching hadn't held...." Yes, we know, Ennis's stanching of his breaking heart hadn't held, and he had lashed out in anger and wild despair, at the ministering angel that was Jack. Then, it's back to the browns and greys, the dirty horseblankets, the sopping coffee filter. But in Ennis's dreams, the colors are so bright, they are described as "lurid."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2007, 11:45:51 pm »
There was a phrase echoing in my haid all day today. It was "When they had it all before them." Where had I read or heard this? I was thinking, maybe On the Road? Or The Virginian? Perhaps some song by Bob Dylan? Finally, it hit me. The phrase was

"They were no longer young men with all of it before them."

But I was thinking of the complement to it, the first summer when Jack and Ennis met, and when they had it all before them.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2007, 04:03:58 pm »
That is an interesting insight, Lee. You are right that black, white and grey are mentioned prominently. For instance, in the third paragraph, Aguirre's ashtray was mentioned as well as his hair, the color of ash, while the window admitted a triangle of white light. On the mountain, the trees are massed in slabs of somber malachite. The sheep are the color of dirty laundry. In contrast, the dawn is described as orange and pale green (sounds strange, but I have seen dawns like that!) In fact, light and fire are often yellow...the boys sit in the yellow light of a kerosene lantern, while the flames of the campfire are described as yellow silk sashes.

The next day, the colors are enlivened...there is a green washcloth, copper jean rivets, and a lavender sky. And AP actually says that Ennis felt he could paw the white out of the moon! It's almost like that scene in the Wizard of Oz where everything turns from black & white to color!!

Throughout the days on the mountain and their descent, colors are mentioned, but there is a premonition in the worn paint brands on the sheep, the hailstorm, and the early arrival of the white snow. Not much color appears until the reunion, when a soiled orange chair is mentioned in the room at the Motel Siesta. Whites, blacks, and blues predominate, with red represented by the periodic mention of blood. The river is tea-colored and the willows are ochre-branched.

Suddenly, when Ennis finds the shirts, the color red is everywhere, not just used as punctuation as it was before (the ruddy chunks of light, the cherry cake). It was a "gushing nosebleed...when Jack...had slammed Ennis's nose hard with his knee. He had stanched the blood, which was everywhere, all over both of them, with his shirtsleeve, but the stanching hadn't held...." Yes, we know, Ennis's stanching of his breaking heart hadn't held, and he had lashed out in anger and wild despair, at the ministering angel that was Jack. Then, it's back to the browns and greys, the dirty horseblankets, the sopping coffee filter. But in Ennis's dreams, the colors are so bright, they are described as "lurid."

Your right!
It's like one of those photo's you see done where it's all in black and white except maybe the flowers are colored or a piece of clothing.
I think the use of color,or lack of, is an important part of the story.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2007, 11:15:16 pm »
I am so thrilled that this thread is being featured on our banner right now with a picture of the author Annie Proulx, who is the mother of all Brokies, on Mother's Day!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 01:21:32 pm »
I have a question. What is the Q.T.? Aguirre tells Jack to put his tent above the QT?
Also, What is the "welling Plain"?

Scott6373

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 01:24:05 pm »
I have a question. What is the Q.T.? Aguirre tells Jack to put his tent above the QT?
Also, What is the "welling Plain"?

I think he said to pitch his tent on the QT...meaning...on the sly, and out of sight of the rangers.