Author Topic: Jakes New Movie - "Zodiac"  (Read 9114 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Jakes New Movie - "Zodiac"
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:14:02 am »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Jakes New Movie - "Zodiac"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:17 am »
I'm going to go see it at the cinema probably. It looks like it's going to be a really good movie.

And who cares if it isn't? Jake's in it!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:59:16 am »
I'm going to go see it at the cinema probably. It looks like it's going to be a really good movie.

Oh definitely, but us poor souls in Holland have to wait until 5th of May to see it! That's when it comes out here! It's crazy!

Where did you find that poster? I haven't seen that one yet, I don't like it at all!  >:(

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:00:55 pm »
I think it is interesting the poster has 2006 on it, I feel like I have been waiting on this movie most of my life.... :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 03:11:22 pm »
 - According to Wikipedia:
Zodiac, a Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. joint production, is a film directed by David Fincher that is scheduled for release in the United States on March 2, 2007. The film is based on Robert Graysmith's two books about the Zodiac Killer.

Tagline: There's more than one way to lose your life to a killer

Jake will be appearing on these shows next week (obviously promoting the move)

LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN, CBS
Monday Feb 26: Jake Gyllenhaal

LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN, NBC
Tuesday Feb 27: Jake Gyllenhaal, Izabel Goulart

THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART, Comedy Central
Wednesday Feb 28: Jake Gyllenhaal

Scott6373

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:12:40 pm »

Not to mention Mark Ruffalo...hm-hm good

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:41:50 am »
I will probably never see it, or do what I did with The Order and Monster's Ball and Heath, rent the DVD and fast forward through the whole thing, stopping only for Jake, but not if it's creepy or yucky. 

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:30:05 am »
Not to mention Mark Ruffalo...hm-hm good

Aaaaaaand... Robert Downey Jr!  :D

Despite all the drug charges, I still think he's so cute and him and Jake and Mark Ruffalo.... Oh my, can't wait...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:21:05 am »
Leslie and I went to see "Candy" with Heath when it came out.

We just might see "Zodiac" together too.

Gotta be faithful to the boys!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:52:15 am »
Here's a review by Emanuel Levy, which has a link to the trailer:

http://www.emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=4651

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:37 am »
imdb has posted lots and lots of new stills and there is a link to a new New York times article about the movie!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 02:06:45 am »
Thank you for the info, Fran and Melissa!  :D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 02:33:13 am »

Oh my goodness yes,, i would have gone to see one of the pre previews...the 4 1/2 hour versions...the more the better...This
looks like an awsome movie,,,and surprise of surprises, the reviews
have all been awsome as well..it seems so stylized and special....i
am like truman,,,feel i have been waiting forever for this movie...

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 02:54:36 pm »
I will probably never see it, or do what I did with The Order and Monster's Ball and Heath, rent the DVD and fast forward through the whole thing, stopping only for Jake, but not if it's creepy or yucky. 

I won't see it if it's creepy or yucky, either. I generally don't like movies about serial killers, even if they star Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo. I like Robert Downey Jr., too, and am even pleasantly disposed toward Anthony Edwards! But I don't like entertainment that plays murder and violence for thrills.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
I'd like to see it in the theater, but it seems like most of my plans to see movies never come to pass.

There's never enough time, never enough. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 02:47:58 am »

Aww Jeff, you should make the time to do things like that if you really
like it.  If it doesnt make a difference then...no worries.  I have however
always loved movies, all my life, and try to see the very special ones...
   Some are not good enough to pay the cash to see in the theaters.  But some of them just arent good on the small screen...I think all the efforts that
the director has put into making this movie look authentic.  Will be better seen on a big screen.
                                                                          janice

Beautiful mind

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 06:42:49 am »
I so wanna see it, I've read the book and the book was already scary!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 04:15:37 pm »
I remember the Zodiac murders. I was only a kid when it happened. It was all over the evening news, and in the newspapers. I remember it because this was the first time I heard the word Zodiac. I remember asking my Mother what "Zodiac" meant.

Even as a kid it scared me though. I kept wondering if something like that could happen here in Indiana.

Scary.

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 06:09:13 pm »
I remember the Zodiac murders. I was only a kid when it happened. It was all over the evening news, and in the newspapers. I remember it because this was the first time I heard the word Zodiac. I remember asking my Mother what "Zodiac" meant.

Even as a kid it scared me though. I kept wondering if something like that could happen here in Indiana.

Scary.

Oh I bet it must've been really scary to hear about something like this! Kids have no way of rationalising things like this and think this is not gonna happen to me or my parents...

I remember when I was a kid the anti-nuclear weapon movement was huge in Holland (early 80's) and there were posters everywhere like this:

I remember I was so scared when I saw this, this was meant to create awareness among people in Holland, but I think it created more fear among children than awareness among adults...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 06:23:15 pm »
Oh I bet it must've been really scary to hear about something like this! Kids have no way of rationalising things like this and think this is not gonna happen to me or my parents...

I remember when I was a kid the anti-nuclear weapon movement was huge in Holland (early 80's) and there were posters everywhere like this:

I remember I was so scared when I saw this, this was meant to create awareness among people in Holland, but I think it created more fear among children than awareness among adults...

Now THAT really would be scary! Especially something about nuclear weapons. Yipes!

It would  scare the beejezus out of me even as an adult. I can't imagine what a child would think! This makes me think about the Cuban Misslle Crisis during the early 1960's. Obviously I don't remember it. I was just a baby. But it sure did scare my parents; and everyone too.

Those were scary times.  :o

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:30 pm »
I just came from seeing the film and really enjoyed it.  It was a very intelligent and intense film experience, probably more so as it's based on real life events..  Jake is pretty much side-lined in the first half of the film but he's by far the lead character in the second half.  I strongly recommend the film.  Beautiful shots of the Bay area, excellent attn to details of the time period.   It was a long movie, but I wasn't bored once and I didn't see anyone walk out.  Jake gave a fine portrayal of a mild mannered newspaper cartoonist who becomes obsessed with the case.

Yes, I hope all Brokies make an effort to see this movie.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »

Well i am really glad to see a report on the movie by a real person.  The
critics have been very kind.  The movie looks intense, and very interesting.
I cant wait.  I am going tomorrow.  I have been looking at the different
trailers.  They are very good also.. So im glad you say that you liked it a lot.
As truman said here on the forum.  Seems like we have been waiting for a
lifetime for this film... Its good to know the wait will have been worth it.

janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 12:04:35 am »
I saw Zodiac today.  It was a good movie.  I was expecting it to be more of a thriller, but actually im glad i wasnt scared out of my wits throughout the whole movie.  The beginning is a bit horrid.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jake have very good chemistry working together on this film.  Jake was quite the boyscout and very innocent i think.  Robert Downey Jr's. character was anything but innocent, and easily overlooked by Jakey's character as they forged a working, social relationship. 

I think their real lives parallel with the lives of the characters they play in Zodiac.  Jake being the good boy, as i see him, and Downey Jr being the rebel, as everyone knows he is.   

It would have been interesting if we saw little bit more of Jake's social life, but the Zodiac was Robert Graysmith's  life.  Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job acting.  I was really impressed with his portrayal of the character he played, though it wasnt far from his real life. 

I dont have much to say about Ruffeo's character..his acting was good.  Its ashame he didnt crack the case.  So close though.

Zodiac is not an award winning film IMHO, but its very interesting and leaves you thinking..  the whole acting ensamble together really were a great team..  i give it an A, and hope read both books..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 12:12:55 am »
Alex and I have decided to stay in town and we're planning to see it tomorrow! I can't wait!  :D

Offline lil darlin

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 01:16:42 am »
I conned my friend Vikki into seeing Zodiac with me, because i didn't want to go alone.  We went after school today  She was more creeped out about the killings in the beginning.   I was expecting that since i saw the previews and she hadn't.  Also i lived in SF during the Zodiac time frame so i knew that would be part of the story line. 

The ensemble cast did a fine job.  Their interactions were believable.  I think each part was cast just right.  I just didn't know the actress who played Jake's wife.  Of course my focus was on Jake.  I thought he was superb in his roll as a naive newspaper cartoonist in the beginning then taking it into the depths of his obsession with having to know exactly who the Zodiac was.

I thought it was creepy when it seemed that the Zodiac was stalking Graysmith with all the calls. I also thought that Leigh having all of those squirrels in his trailer was odd. 

All in all, i will probably take Kurt to see it,  since I'd like to see Jake again.  I will be seeing Zodiac and my recordings of his TV appearances this past week, again, since those are the latest of Jake i can get.   They are still new, so thats good for me.  I'm happy I got to see Jake on the opening day. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
I actually saw it twice at the theater this past weekend.  The first time with my husband, and then I went back on Sunday to watch it alone without the stress of someone else's expectations.  And because I'm pathetic and have no life.

;)

I thought it was very well-done and probably (no, definitely) the most realistic true-crime movie I've ever seen.  My favorite aspect of it was the relationship between Robert Graysmith and Paul Avery (Robert Downey, Jr.).  I wish we could have seen more of that, but there are so many intricate details to provide that understandably Fincher could only spend so much time on it.

I've come away from it wanting to know more about both of those two.  I plan to buy a copy of Graysmith's book Zodiac.  Or maybe as an homage to him, I should take them out (legally) from the library.
No more beans!