Author Topic: Big topic for debate on the TOB is the missing "I Love You"  (Read 7555 times)

vkm91941

Big topic for debate on the TOB is the missing "I Love You"
« on: April 17, 2006, 05:46:05 pm »
There is much debate about whether or not Ennis actually says "I love you."  There is now a whole group of newbies who swear he breathes it into the shirts when he finds them...If he doesn't then they don't say "I love you" at all. ) WE all know he does not)   I think it's  better that way, the audience doesn't need to hear it.

From all the imagery and actions in the film we know that they are deeply in love with each other. The dramatic scene at the end, where they argue and break down exemplifies their passion for each other.  So Let address those scene where they say  I Love You with their actions an other words....

First example that comes to mind for me is the "NO more Beans" comment from Jack, Ennis who doesn't eat soup orders soup and tells the Basque that he's sick of beans.  Sweet!   Others?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:02:32 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Big topic for debate on the TOB is the missing "I Love You"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:51:08 pm »
Second example:   When Jack takes off his bandana, dips it in hot water and tries to tend to Ennis's bleeding head wound.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:51:21 pm »
My biggest  I love you moment is when they are sitting by the campfire and Jack gently touches Ennis' cheek.  I tell you, I felt the love right through to my own heart.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:00:26 pm »
Another one is the gut-wrench and evocative line  "Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:12:09 pm »
I know that when Ennis says, "I'm sending up a prayer of thanks..." he is not really being thankful for Jack not bringing his harmonica.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:25:14 pm »
The moment when Ennis pushes Jack away from him in the final lake scene and Jake doesn't skip a beat, but pulls Ennis into him even though he knows it could mean another bruised cheek. He knows precisely what Ennis is going through and just wants to comfort him.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 06:28:24 pm »
Reunion scene in the motel:  Ennis' almost undetectable smile and mumble when Jack said he red-lined all the way , couldn't get there fast enough and asked Ennis "What about you?'

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:45:51 pm »
There are lots of "I love you"'s throughout BBM. But they tend to come from me and not the screen. :laugh:

But you guys are right, they don't need to say that they love each other, it is all said on the screen with the actions they use and the looks they give. And remember the saying "Actions can speak a thousand words". :)
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 06:59:35 pm »
Heh, this is so reminiscent of my Lord of the Rings days.  At some point, all sorts of people became convinced that Frodo said "I love you" to Sam when he hugged him in the last scene.  No amount of listening with the volume up ever made me think they were anything but wishful thinkers.  I think this is the same phenomenon at work.  :)

I think maybe the closest Ennis comes to saying "I love you" is "There ain't no reins on this one."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 07:17:16 pm »
The way Ennis is clearly excited while waiting for Jack after those four years apart then Jack's big grin and "son of a bitch" as he hugs him....
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73