Author Topic: The Other Side of Nowhere by b73  (Read 3500 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Other Side of Nowhere by b73
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:48:40 pm »
This is a 10 chapter + epilogue Jack & Ennis AU that Maggie wrote. I just finished it and have to say I was just wiped out - it was so heart-wrenching. Her characterization of Jack & Ennis is always spot on, no matter what situation they are in. Her writing is beautiful and eloquent. "The Other Side of Nowhere" is sad/depressing but such a compelling read. She always captures the feel of Annie Proulx's original story.

cc33

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Other Side of Nowhere by b73
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »
This is a 10 chapter + epilogue Jack & Ennis AU that Maggie wrote. I just finished it and have to say I was just wiped out - it was so heart-wrenching. Her characterization of Jack & Ennis is always spot on, no matter what situation they are in. Her writing is beautiful and eloquent. "The Other Side of Nowhere" is sad/depressing but such a compelling read. She always captures the feel of Annie Proulx's original story.

cc33

Leslie,

Can you give a link? At least to the first chapter of the story? This is not one I am familiar with....thanks....

Leslie (the other one...)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:54:54 am »
Leslie, I was thinking of deleting this post because it's friends-locked. I don't know if I should post a link. If you are a friend of Maggie's, then you can find it on her journal and in brokebackslash. Leslie K.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 06:49:12 pm »
I've gone on record in Maggie's LJ to laud "OSON", so I won't repeat myself here .

But I thought I might use this thread to also recommend Maggie's latest entry, the canon one-shot "The Coven", which is in her LJ and isn't F-locked. The fic's short, and deceptively simple, and about as devastating and haunting a BBM fic as I've ever read. Do read it, if you haven't already - but be warned of the angst.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 07:13:32 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:55:24 pm »
Thanks for posting about this and the link.  I am new at this whole fanfic thing, but getting very intrgued.

That was just perfect for a beginner at this, short,  but very lovely and thought provoking.

Thanks Mikaela and Leslie,

M...b

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:22:48 pm »
Thanks for posting about this and the link.  I am new at this whole fanfic thing, but getting very intrgued.

That was just perfect for a beginner at this, short,  but very lovely and thought provoking.

Thanks Mikaela and Leslie,

M...b

Maggie's stuff is a great place to start with fan fic, some of the highest quality writing out there, IMO... Some of her stuff can be hard to read on an emotional level, she doesn't spare the angst, but still everything I have ever read by her has been absolutely beautiful and memorable in so many ways.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Companyofmen

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 12:41:17 pm »
I tried fitfully to sleep between Flint and Detroit, and then again between Detroit and Minneapolis (coming back from "Oscar Night" Bay City, Michigan). Then when they had us in the plane in Minneapolis, there was a LONG delay taking off, and I got into The Other side of Nowhere:

Reading Maggie

This car's going mch
too fast! It's--taking off! Oh
Yeah....I'm on a plane....

(twistedude)
Reporter to Gandhi: What do you think of western civilization?
Gandhi: I think it would be a very good idea.