Author Topic: Brokeback 20 questions  (Read 23676 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback 20 questions
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 10:15:46 pm »
1. Do you have a low startle point?  Not particularly.  I'm actually very difficult to surprise or upset in any way.

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking?  I can cook at least worth a damn.  But I can't peel a potato as well as he can.

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal?  No, but I've shot a rifle many times at clay pigeons (and hit most of them).

4. Was your dad right?  Yes.  About just about everything.  Except who would make a good President.

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle?  Yes.  Jack Daniels once.  Once.

6. Ever slept on the ground beside a campfire?  Yes.  And I froze my ass off when that fire died down, too.

7. Ever lived in an apartment above a laundromat (or other retail establishment)?  No.  One of my brothers did once, though - over a diner - and I thought it was really cool.

8. Are you as good a horseback rider as Lureen -- or can you stay on the horse, anyway?  Hell, no.  Only ridden once, and that was while the horse was being led around in a little circle (I was nine).

9. Do you know someone named Jack?  Actually, no, come to think of it.  Don't know anyone named Jake, either.

10. Ever contacted a romantic partner via postcard?  Yes, if saying "The weather is beautiful - wish you were here" from the Virgin Islands while on vacation counts.

11. Do you ever bring home freshly caught fish?  No.  Don't fish.

12. Are you worse than Bobby when it comes to losing stuff?  Depends on how bad he is.  I doubt anyone is worse than I am.  I almost always find the stuff I lose, though.

13. Ever socialized with the fire-and-brimstone crowd? Yes, on a regular basis.  Some of my neighbors would qualify as being part of that crowd.  They're generally lots of fun as long as politics (or civil liberties) of any kind don't get brought up.

14. Would somebody looking around your home comment that you need more furniture?  Definitely not.  They'd probably say we need less.

15.. Do you watch TV during dinner?  Sometimes.  Used to all the time before I had a child.  Now we're trying to do the regular "family dinner" around the table thing.

16. Ever used an electric knife?  No.  Never owned one, either.  I don't need electrical things that vibrate.  ;)

17. Did you pledge Tri Delt -- or some other sorority or fraternity?  Nope.  Probably would have gotten black-balled.

18. Do you remember (or know) how it is, being broke all the time?  Yes, I do.  We were always broke when I was a kid.  Mom was up to her eyeballs in debt.  We couldn't answer the phone or the door in case it was a creditor (and there was no Caller I.D. or answering machines then).  Good times.

19. Did your mother keep your bedroom the way it was when you were a kid?  My stepmother didn't, no.  The second I left for college, she converted it into a sewing/giftwrapping room.  She plunked a day bed in there for "guests" of which I guess I was from that point on.  More good times.

20. Have you ever scattered someone's ashes?  I've been present when someone else did.  My parents had a longtime friend who lived down here and sailed out of the Miami Yacht Club.  When he died, his wishes were that his wife scatter his ashes in Biscayne Bay.  So my parents and she and their daughter and grand-kids  and a priest and I went out on a great big tri-maran, the priest said a few words, and his wife scattered his ashes out there.  I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be.  They had had one of those storybook marriages - 45 years and they were still in love.  I almost started choking I was crying so hard just seeing how emotional she and their daughter were.

GREAT questionnaire, Katherine!  :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:24:23 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 02:47:17 am »

16. Ever used an electric knife?  No.  Never owned one, either.  I don't need electrical things that vibrate.  ;)

:laugh:   :laugh:

I can ALWAYS count on you Barb to come up with a great one liner!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 01:33:07 am »
1. Do you have a low startle point?  Yes, my desk is situated in my office so that my back is to the door... therefore people are always startling me... making me jump etc. when the come to my office.  But, I have a very even temper... if that's the type of "startle" you mean.

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking? I love the idea of cooking and I love cooking shows.  But, yeah, I'm pretty bad.

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal? No Way!

4. Was your dad right?  My Dad and I get along really well.  And, 'on topic' regarding Brokeback, he's much, much better about me being gay than my Mom (she's pretty good with it too, but I think she struggles more with it).

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle? Yes

6. Ever slept on the ground beside a campfire? No

7. Ever lived in an apartment above a laundromat (or other retail establishment)?  Well, I live in a big apartment building now (and have in the past in other cities too) and there are retail establishments on the ground floor.  This building has a hair salon and a really nice Italian restaurant. We have an in-building laundry room, which is sort of like a laundromat.

8. Are you as good a horseback rider as Lureen -- or can you stay on the horse, anyway?  I can ride a horse.  I took lessons for one summer as a kid.  But, no, I wouldn't say I'm good at it.

9. Do you know someone named Jack?  Yes. I had a good friend in high school named Jack... it turns out he's gay too :) !  And, a cousin of mine has a son named Jack... and like our Jack he's a John Jr.

10. Ever contacted a romantic partner via postcard?  Yes

11. Do you ever bring home freshly caught fish? Yes, when I was a kid I went fishing a few times with my Grandfather

12. Are you worse than Bobby when it comes to losing stuff? No, thankfully, I don't lose stuff too terribly

13. Ever socialized with the fire-and-brimstone crowd? No

14. Would somebody looking around your home comment that you need more furniture? Yes! This is my first job out of grad school.  So, I was almost starting from scratch.  I moved from a tiny studio apartment to a relatively large apartment.  So for the first year in Pittsburgh is felt really empty in here.  It's slowly getting better.

15.. Do you watch TV during dinner?  I live alone.  So, yes, all the time.

16. Ever used an electric knife? No

17. Did you pledge Tri Delt -- or some other sorority or fraternity?  I went to two women's colleges (one for undergrad and one for grad).  They don't have sororities.  But, they are a sorority of sorts because they're both Seven Sisters schools.

18. Do you remember (or know) how it is, being broke all the time?  Yes... see all the answers about grad school.  ::)

19. Did your mother keep your bedroom the way it was when you were a kid?  Yes, for a long, long time

20. Have you ever scattered someone's ashes?  No.  But when I was college age, we buried the ashes of both my cat and dog in our backyard.  We planted a pussy willow bush and a dogwood tree and buried the little containers with their ashes under them.  Just thinking about it makes me tear up.  :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 01:38:47 am »

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking? I love the idea of cooking and I love cooking shows.  But, yeah, I'm pretty bad.

...but at least you're honest!

I'm a bad cook too Amanda.  :)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 02:28:45 am »
These questions can all be answered YES or NO. But feel free to elaborate wherever you'd like.

1. Do you have a low startle point?
idk what that means

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking?
no

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal?
no

4. Was your dad right?
sometimes

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle?
Oh hell yes

6. Ever slept on the ground beside a campfire?
Yep

7. Ever lived in an apartment above a laundromat (or other retail establishment)?
dont think so

8. Are you as good a horseback rider as Lureen -- or can you stay on the horse, anyway?
not as good as Lureen, but i can ride

9. Do you know someone named Jack?
once upon a time

10. Ever contacted a romantic partner via postcard?
yes

11. Do you ever bring home freshly caught fish?
yes fish and crab

12. Are you worse than Bobby when it comes to losing stuff?
not really

13. Ever socialized with the fire-and-brimstone crowd?
yes
14. Would somebody looking around your home comment that you need more furniture?
no

15.. Do you watch TV during dinner?
no

16. Ever used an electric knife?
yes

17. Did you pledge Tri Delt -- or some other sorority or fraternity?
not me

18. Do you remember (or know) how it is, being broke all the time?
yes i do

19. Did your mother keep your bedroom the way it was when you were a kid?
no
20. Have you ever scattered someone's ashes?
i have my share of mom's ashes in an earn in the kitchen because she loved to cook.  No one ever gave me my share of dad's ashes

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 02:40:08 am »
These questions can all be answered YES or NO. But feel free to elaborate wherever you'd like.

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle?
Oh hell yes

haha. I LOVE it!!!

I think that's what I said too. If I didn't, I should have.

Good ol' Jack...<hiccup!>... Daniels.   :P   :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 09:52:41 am »
Amanda, your pussy willows and dogwood tree are so sweet.  We buried our beloved Layla's ashes in a little container in the back yard that she so loved, right where she always used to lie down, roll over, and scratch her own back in the sun (and sneeze - they always do that when they roll around on their backs).  It was kind of right in the center of a small yard, so it wasn't conducive to planting a tree or a bush there.  But that's a lovely idea.

No more beans!

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 09:47:22 pm »
1. Do you have a low startle point? Yes the telephone rings and I jump out of my skin

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking? No I am quite adept in the kitchen

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal?  I grew up in Montana of course I have, it's required BUT I hated every minute. I am not a hunter

4. Was your dad right? About EVERYTHING

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle? No, it’s not lady like

6. Ever slept on the ground beside a campfire? Yes

7. Ever lived in an apartment above a laundromat (or other retail establishment)? Yes during college lived over a Thai restaurant for a while

8. Are you as good a horseback rider as Lureen -- or can you stay on the horse, anyway? I’ve never barrel raced but I have calf roped

9. Do you know someone named Jack? Yes, my first high school crush, he didn't notice me at all

10. Ever contacted a romantic partner via postcard? Yes

11. Do you ever bring home freshly caught fish? Many times

12. Are you worse than Bobby when it comes to losing stuff? No I am a very organized person

13. Ever socialized with the fire-and-brimstone crowd? On occassion

14. Would somebody looking around your home comment that you need more furniture? No way

15.. Do you watch TV during dinner? Sometimes

16. Ever used an electric knife? No, not personally but my Aunt owned one in the late 60's and I remember it coming out at Easter time to carve the Ham

17. Did you pledge Tri Delt -- or some other sorority or fraternity? Tau Beta Sigma

18. Do you remember (or know) how it is, being broke all the time? Yes

19. Did your mother keep your bedroom the way it was when you were a kid? Yep
20. Have you ever scattered someone's ashes? Yes, from a helicopter
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:28 am »
1. Do you have a low startle point?  No, I'm quite a placid kinda chap.

2. Are you as bad as Jack is at cooking?  I hate cooking with a passion, mainly 'cause I'm so bad at it.

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal?  Do spiders count? Spiders come straight from the Stygian Pit of Hell and should all be sent back there - DOA!

4. Was your dad right?  What my Dad was, was an absolute sweetheart. He was a dear, sweet, gentle man. It was my mother who was always right!

5. Ever drunk whiskey straight out of the bottle? I'm not fond of whiskey, but after seeing Brokeback Mountain, I made a valiant effort to acquire a taste for it, because I wanted so much to be like Jack & Ennis. Nearly made myself sick! It's still in the cupboard!

6. Ever slept on the ground beside a campfire? Yes, and I was lying beside a really cute guy, too! Alas, there were also about 20 other kids snoozing around that campfire at the time!

7. Ever lived in an apartment above a laundromat (or other retail establishment)? No, but if I did, I would have decorated it beautifully and made it look very chic! More importantly, I would have arranged for a tradesman to move the hot-water tank out of the living room!

8. Are you as good a horseback rider as Lureen -- or can you stay on the horse, anyway? I have taken riding lessons and can ride okay, but I'm not as good as Lureen. Or Ennis, for that matter!

9. Do you know someone named Jack? Yes. His name is Jack Twist and you can see his photo throughout my apartment.

10. Ever contacted a romantic partner via postcard? Alas, no, I'm strictly an e-mail kinda gal!

11. Do you ever bring home freshly caught fish? Yes. Fish I've freshly caught myself from the supermarket.

12. Are you worse than Bobby when it comes to losing stuff? I'm at least as bad as Jack and very probably worse than Bobby. Especially my keys (I've never lost my blue parker, though).

13. Ever socialized with the fire-and-brimstone crowd?  Not any more.

14. Would somebody looking around your home comment that you need more furniture? Less is more! I could probably do with less.

15.. Do you watch TV during dinner? Always! But I never watch football   during dinner! And I prefer to watch the ice-skating after dinner!

16. Ever used an electric knife? Never! When my mama spends 4 hours preparing a turkey, I like to carve it by hand!

17. Did you pledge Tri Delt -- or some other sorority or fraternity? I don't recall anyone in Brokeback Mountain, book or film, attending university?!

18. Do you remember (or know) how it is, being broke all the time? I do remember what it was like to be broke. Fortunately, however, I didn't have child support to pay.

19. Did your mother keep your bedroom the way it was when you were a kid? Weirdly, yes, she did. My old bedroom was always referred to as the spare room after I left home, but it looked spookily just the way I'd left it.

20. Have you ever scattered someone's ashes? No, but I would consider it a great honour and privilege to do so.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:40:59 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 01:41:57 am »

3. Ever shot an elk or other animal?  Do spiders count? Spiders come straight from the Stygian Pit of Hell and should all be sent back there - DOA!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Aww!  :'(

They won't hurt you Kerry! I catch them in a jar and turn them loose outside!

We have those awful recluse spiders here in Indiana, and they are poisonous. Fortunately I have never seen one of those in my house.