Author Topic: Brokeback 20 questions  (Read 23673 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Brokeback 20 questions
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 12:16:53 am »
What? You make the best fried chicken in the whole US. Or so you say.... now I am starting to wonder if this is true... :D

Yes, my fried chicken is very good! People love my fried chicken! People come all the way over from the UK to eat it!  ;)

But there are so many other things I am awful at. I don't think my fried chicken is enough to designate me a good cook.

My Mother used to tell me I couldn't boil water, even if someone else filled the pot and put it on the stove for me!  >:(

But I sure can fry up some tasty chicken!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 12:31:19 am »

Now, up in Western New York and by a lake, I saw spiders the size of small tarantulas.  Didn't like those guys much.  I also saw a couple of Praying Mantises (Manti?).  Those things will freak you out.  They're about as long as your forearm and look at you with a cocked head like they think they might have met you in the bar the other night but they're not sure.

:laugh:  :laugh:

We have Praying Mantises here too Barb! Yeah, they are a bit weird looking, but they are quite friendly! They won't hurt you.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 12:39:24 am »
She was a good spider.  :)

Ohhhhhhh, Daaaaa-viiiiiiiiiiid!!!!!!   :'(    :'(    :'(

You have just traumatised me beyond belief!   :o    :'(

I really do have a morbid, irrational fear of spiders, and reading your story (it was very difficult for me to read it) brought on the old familiar gag-reflex I know so well! I literally (yes, literally - did I mention this phobia of mine is morbid and irrational?) jumped outa my seat when I scrolled down to the pic of that spider. Ugh! Cringe! Tremble! I think I'll go have a lie-down now! But I'll be checking under the bed first! I've already checked under the desk!

I might have a gin and tonic (or two or three!) before I take that nap!   :laugh:

It was very thoughtful of you to post all those spider links, David. Alas, I did not click on any of them. But thank you for posting them for other members (more courageous than me) to view!   :-\   :P  (I think I'm still smiling . . .)  ;)  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 12:58:19 am »
Ohhhhhhh, Daaaaa-viiiiiiiiiiid!!!!!!   :'(    :'(    :'(

You have just traumatised me beyond belief!   :o    :'(

I really do have a morbid, irrational fear of spiders, and reading your story (it was very difficult for me to read it) brought on the old familiar gag-reflex I know so well! I literally (yes, literally - did I mention this phobia of mine is morbid and irrational?) jumped outa my seat when I scrolled down to the pic of that spider. Ugh! Cringe! Tremble! I think I'll go have a lie-down now! But I'll be checking under the bed first! I've already checked under the desk!

I might have a gin and tonic (or two or three!) before I take that nap!   :laugh:

It was very thoughtful of you to post all those spider links, David. Alas, I did not click on any of them. But thank you for posting them for other members (more courageous than me) to view!   :-\   :P  (I think I'm still smiling . . .)  ;)  :)

Oh, I'm sorry Kerry! I didn't mean to do that to you!  :(

But, just like Delalluvia said, spiders are very important animals. They help to rid the world of other nasty critters. So, they have a good side to them too.

But I don't blame you! I don't like spiders in my house or car either! (Unless it's a pet spider like Synergy)  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 01:18:27 am »
We have Praying Mantises here too Barb! Yeah, they are a bit weird looking, but they are quite friendly! They won't hurt you.

A funny thing happened to me with a praying mantis many years ago. I was shopping at the local market and became aware that people were looking at me strangely (more strangely than usual lol!) and laughing. I checked my fly. Nope, no problem there. Gave myself a look up and down to make sure I hadn't spilt any food on myself. Nope again. And then I saw it! Just out the corner of my eye! This funny little bobbing green head, close to my right eye! It was a large, green praying mantis, sitting on my right shoulder, head bobbing, doing what praying mantis' do best . . . praying! That was what everyone was looking at! I have no idea how he got there. I may have brushed against some shrubbery on my way to the store. There was always some kid or other with a praying mantis as a pet when I was at school, so I wasn't scared by my new-found friend. I gently took him off my shoulder and took him outside. Yeah, I don't mind praying mantises. They're cool!

David, you can buy tarantulas at the pet shop at the local shopping mall near where I live. I read about it in the local paper. I haven't been to see them for myself! Gulp! Shudder! Cold sweat!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 02:08:42 am »
I gently took him off my shoulder and took him outside. Yeah, I don't mind praying mantises. They're cool!

Good for you Kerry!  :)

Way to go!!! This is the kind of anecdote I love to hear! A happy ending for both the person and the animal!

The Praying Mantises around here are very friendly and gentle. It almost seems as if they actually like humans and enjoy being around us. It's a shame when people try to kill them. They are very weird looking, but they are completely harmless; the gentle giants of the insect world.   :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2007, 02:18:28 am »
Yes, they are very sweet, gentle creatures. They do, however, have very exotic sex lives. The female praying mantis eats her mate, after he has finished having sex with her! Ouch!  Sounds, to me, like a very convincing reason for being gay, if you happen to be a male praying mantis!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2007, 02:40:11 am »
Praying Mantises  8)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:55 am »
A praying mantis got inside our house by the lake once.  Scared the bejesus out of me at first because it was just so BIG.  (Spiders don't bother me, but BIG bugs do.)  Still I was fascinated by it.  I swear it looked at me like I was someone it knew.  I wanted to catch it and release it back outside, but didn't know how to other than to pick it up.  And I didn't want to do that.  So I called my father in, and like Kerry, he gently picked it up and set it outside near some shrubs, well away from the door.

In New York state back then, I believe there was something like a $500 fine for killing one.  But why anyone (who isn't a sick bastard) would want to kill one, I don't know.  They look like little E.T.'s.

No more beans!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2007, 10:23:42 am »
A praying mantis got inside our house by the lake once.  Scared the bejesus out of me at first because it was just so BIG.  (Spiders don't bother me, but BIG bugs do.)  Still I was fascinated by it.  I swear it looked at me like I was someone it knew.  I wanted to catch it and release it back outside, but didn't know how to other than to pick it up.  And I didn't want to do that.  So I called my father in, and like Kerry, he gently picked it up and set it outside near some shrubs, well away from the door.

In New York state back then, I believe there was something like a $500 fine for killing one.  But why anyone (who isn't a sick bastard) would want to kill one, I don't know.  They look like little E.T.'s.

You are quite right, Barb. They do, indeed, look just like cute lil green ETs!   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν