Author Topic: Old soul?  (Read 13210 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Old soul?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 08:52:41 am »

(Barb, my boy is an old soul too, as is my younger sister)
Sheyne, what is it that makes you say that about your son? Can you be more specific (don't mean to pry though). Is this the one with Autism?

~ j U d E

Yeah, I only have the one child and he's Autistic. The reasons I have for thinking this are firstly, his intuition. He seems to understand people better than I do. I have learnt my lesson, if my son avoids someone or takes a dislike to them, I pay very close attention. It has emerged that everybody he hasn't liked - even as a baby! - turned out to be lousy people, liars, cheats, black hearts etc.  And i have checked and doubly checked the occasions for co-incidence or other factors... nope, he's always been on the money.  He talks about people as though they are colours: if he talks about somebody as blue, pink, gold, green, orange, purple or yellow.. I'm usually safe.  If he describes them as red, I'm wary (they're usually just excited or anxious at the time) but he's talked about the aforementioned lousy people as being black, grey or no colour at all.

This is a child who cannot answer "are you hungry, William?" cause he doesn't know what that means!!

Other reasons are: apparent memory of places we've never been.  eg.. we took him to Canberra to visit a friend, he directed us to a place we'd never been before, as though he'd been there recently.   He also doesn't "get" kids of his own age, preferring the company of adults - in his words - they're more interesting.  In all fairness, the inability to relate to kids his own age COULD be partly due to his autism, but he just finds it easier to be around adults. Children bore him senseless (this makes me nervous, I gotta tell you)..

But like Barb, its to do with his eyes.  As an adult or parent who's been around kids a lot, you can tell by looking through their eyes which ones of them are young at heart and which of them have been here before.  My boy has been here before, he gets far more than even I know.  I often feel like I learn more from my child than he does from me, which is a humbling thought actually.

Hope this answers your question..  it was a hard one to answer, I'll be honest.

Beautifully put, Sheyne.  And my son Will is autistic, too.  Albeit very mildly so.  He's been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is considered to be on the "autism spectrum."  He is gifted musically and symbolically.  But until he was four, he couldn't answer simple yes or no questions, either.  He didn't speak a word until he was almost 3 (and I can't tell you all how wonderful it was to finally hear his voice).  He can pick up and hold an adult's full-sized acoustic guitar at four like a veteran and pick the strings with a pick so that a melody comes out.  We bought him a Yamaha keyboard last year.  He sits at it and makes melodies on it.  It's a shame I can't read or write music, or I'd try to capture them.  I do have a few on videotape.

As Sheyne said, though, really - it's in the eyes.  As I said before, the second I looked at him in the hospital after he was born, his eyes locked onto mine.  He seemed to really look at me - to really see me and everything else he looked at.  Newborns aren't typically able to do that.  He seemed - connected.  So imagine my shock a couple years later when the experts were saying he was autistic.  But they said at the time, "He doesn't meet all the criteria.  For example, he's extremely social and connected to the outside world.  Usually in autism just the opposite is the case."  Will has always looked intently at everyone he meets - in the store, walking down the street, etc.  It's almost unnerving how direct his look is.  But his eyes have such a smiling look to them that he immediately disarms people.  I've never seen so many elderly people smile as when I would take him to the grocery store as a baby and he would look at everyone with those knowing eyes and smile so broadly.

Looking at Jake, even though I've only ever seen him in pictures (moving or otherwise), I swear I can see that same connectedness.  It's not a matter of knowing him.  Of course I don't.  But I believe I can read people just by looking in their eyes.  Not to sound like an asshole, but I've never been wrong.  Kind of like Sheyne's William, I'm an extremely good judge of character.  Yes, I've given people the benefit of the doubt longer than I should have in some cases in the past, but I always knew their potential for good or bad.  The author of Never Cry Wolf (can't think of his name right now) says on the first page that he believes one need only look directly and intently into the eyes of any dog or human being for five seconds to know exactly what they're about.  I believe that, too.  Of course that doesn't mean you can know all or even very much at all - but you can know basically whether they're a good witch or a bad witch.  You know?

And Sheyne, how fascinating that your son can apparently see auras!  I have a friend who claims to be able to see colors emanating from people, but I'm inclined to think she's full of shite.  However, when a child says he can - that's some pretty compelling proof that that ability does exist for some extremely gifted (or are they cursed?) individuals.
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
Sometimes I feel like I'm just along for the ride!! 
WOW!

Sheyne, I'm sending you a PM.

~ j U d E

Thanks Jude. Will reply tomorrow - got lots to tell you too!!  :)
Sheyne.
Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 10:08:14 am »
Apparently I'm a seeker soul too.  Actually the description appears reasonably true except for the "knowing so much" stuff (humility doesn't permit me to claim this one).

As for the use of the term "old soul", it's important to remember that this is about the higher (or spiritual) self.  It's got little to do with intellect or even life/emotional experience, since you can be an old soul and still young and naive.  It's more about your spiritual maturity.  Old souls need less time (or none) deciding how to navigate life's lessons that most spend the majority of their lives doing, or not doing as the case may be.  But that doesn't mean that they are necessarily able or willing to influence their circumstance.  It's interesting that there are parents of autistic kids here, my best friend is also, and there is definitely a "knowledge" there that has nothing to do with the time they've spent on the planet or the schooling they've had.  This concept may not be the most palatable one for those that do not like the idea of reincarnation or that humans exist "in lesson" for a greater purpose, but if there is any part of you that has had that feeling that you are here for a reason, or that there is more to life than just a sequence of random events, then maybe this idea is not entirely ludicrous to you.

As for Jake, I think it is certainly a possibility that he is an old soul, not because of the choices he's made (which may or may not be considered "wise"), but how he reacts to his environment and the interactions he has with others (as best as we can tell).  There is patience there, like a grandparent that knows that children make mistakes, in fact they understand that it's important that they make them, so they just smile and try not to let them hurt themselves or others too badly.  Jake seems to effortlessly deal with the attention from adoring fans, as well as interviewers with their typically moronic questions with equal ease, dignity, and respect.  That seems pretty "old" to me.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 11:39:38 am »
Apparently I'm a seeker soul too.  Actually the description appears reasonably true except for the "knowing so much" stuff (humility doesn't permit me to claim this one).

As for the use of the term "old soul", it's important to remember that this is about the higher (or spiritual) self.  It's got little to do with intellect or even life/emotional experience, since you can be an old soul and still young and naive.  It's more about your spiritual maturity.  Old souls need less time (or none) deciding how to navigate life's lessons that most spend the majority of their lives doing, or not doing as the case may be.  But that doesn't mean that they are necessarily able or willing to influence their circumstance.  It's interesting that there are parents of autistic kids here, my best friend is also, and there is definitely a "knowledge" there that has nothing to do with the time they've spent on the planet or the schooling they've had.  This concept may not be the most palatable one for those that do not like the idea of reincarnation or that humans exist "in lesson" for a greater purpose, but if there is any part of you that has had that feeling that you are here for a reason, or that there is more to life than just a sequence of random events, then maybe this idea is not entirely ludicrous to you.

As for Jake, I think it is certainly a possibility that he is an old soul, not because of the choices he's made (which may or may not be considered "wise"), but how he reacts to his environment and the interactions he has with others (as best as we can tell).  There is patience there, like a grandparent that knows that children make mistakes, in fact they understand that it's important that they make them, so they just smile and try not to let them hurt themselves or others too badly.  Jake seems to effortlessly deal with the attention from adoring fans, as well as interviewers with their typically moronic questions with equal ease, dignity, and respect.  That seems pretty "old" to me.

Very well-said, Chris.  As much as I know it's bad forum form, I agree wholeheartedly with all you've said here (especially the bolded part) and have nothing to add.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:41:21 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 12:15:07 pm »
Reanna and Kelda, I am a dreaming soul too. I was kind of surprised at this but I do have very vivid dreams sometimes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 02:15:22 pm »

Hi Kelda - I've been ok....grief is a strange thing, never know when it sneaks up on you... I've been spending a lot of time with friends and keeping myself as busy as possible.
How are things on your side of the world?

Dear Barb and Sheyne - I admire all mothers, I know it isn't easy to raise a child, especially in these times....My hat is off to both of you for being such wonderful and sensitive people and dedicated mothers...I admire both of you very much. God bless always. I wish I could meet your sons someday, I'm sure I would learn a lot from them.

Lots of love,
Reanna
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »

Hi Lee, Welcome to the Dreamer Souls Club  :)  I have very vivid dreams sometimes  (had a very nice one involving Jake some time ago...)  but not all of the description fits me....I can be very practical and earthy at times as well....It's not possible for me to have rose-colored glasses on at all times.

Lots of love,
Reanna

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 02:59:24 pm »
Dear Barb and Sheyne - I admire all mothers, I know it isn't easy to raise a child, especially in these times....My hat is off to both of you for being such wonderful and sensitive people and dedicated mothers...I admire both of you very much. God bless always. I wish I could meet your sons someday, I'm sure I would learn a lot from them.

What lovely things to say, Reanna.  Thanks for making my day.  So oftentimes I get down on myself that I should be much more patient with Will than I am - I often find myself literally counting to 10 and/or taking a deep breath before I react to some of his antics - he can be quite a pistol at times!  So it's nice to be reminded about what I'm doing right from time to time.

Love and peace to you, too.
No more beans!

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 03:04:18 pm »

My pleasure. I meant every word. Don't be hard on yourself Barb... I'm sure you are always doing your best. 

God Bless, lots of love and peace back. :)