Author Topic: Top Favorite Films!  (Read 138508 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Top 5 Favorite Films!
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 09:36:57 am »
Okay, current order: (it does vary)

1. Casablanca
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. Godfather Part 1
4. Donnie Darko
5. To Kill A Mockingbird
6. Touch of Evil
7. Shawshank Redemption
8. King Arthur (Clive Owen *sigh* version)
9. Star Wars eps 1 - 6 (sorry claiming 6 films as 1, yes, I am so devoted I even love Eps I & II)
10. Lord of the Rings trilogy

But I have a thing for Soderbergh too, so Oceans 11 (remake), Traffic and Out of Sight hover just out of the top 10, as does Strictly Ballroom, Lost In Translation, 21 Grams, Best In Show, 10 Things I Hate About You, Ladyhawke, The Princess Bride, Secretary, School Ties, Much Ado About Nothing, Prelude To A Kiss, Legally Blonde, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Hunt For Red October, Raging Bull, The Good Girl, Silence of the Lambs and shut up Sheyne..  ;D
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:51 am »
But I have a thing for Soderbergh too, so Oceans 11 (remake), Traffic and Out of Sight hover just out of the top 10, as does Strictly Ballroom, Lost In Translation, 21 Grams, Best In Show, 10 Things I Hate About You, Ladyhawke, The Princess Bride, Secretary, School Ties, Much Ado About Nothing, Prelude To A Kiss, Legally Blonde, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Hunt For Red October, Raging Bull, The Good Girl, Silence of the Lambs and shut up Sheyne..  ;D

If you have a thing for Soderbergh (as do I), you *must* see The Limey with Terrence Stamp.  Brilliant.  Absolutely his best.  I love The Princess Bride (and most other Rob Reiner movies, especially his earlier ones like This is Spinal Tap and When Harry Met Sally), too.  I've probably seen The Princess Bride more often than any other movie.  It's just the perfect movie to watch with any and all members of your family.  It's funny and sweet as hell, yet there isn't a single swear word or boob shot in it.  And I never get tired of looking at Cary Elwes in all his 20-something glory.  But actually Mandy Patinkin was my favorite in it.  Just love his smiling eyes.
No more beans!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 09:47:02 am »
Aaaah, Maurice, love that one!  That goes near the top of my list too:

• Brokeback Mountain
  • Maurice
  • Next Stop, Wonderland
  • Rushmore
  • A Place In The Sun
  • Diva
  • Rebel Without A Cause
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
  • Elizabeth
  • Monsoon Wedding

I could probably add tons more, but I'll stop there....

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 09:52:24 am »

If you have a thing for Soderbergh (as do I), you *must* see The Limey with Terrence Stamp.  Brilliant.  Absolutely his best.  I love The Princess Bride (and most other Rob Reiner movies, especially his earlier ones like This is Spinal Tap and When Harry Met Sally), too.  I've probably seen The Princess Bride more often than any other movie.  It's just the perfect movie to watch with any and all members of your family.  It's funny and sweet as hell, yet there isn't a single swear word or boob shot in it.  And I never get tired of looking at Cary Elwes in all his 20-something glory.  But actually Mandy Patinkin was my favorite in it.  Just love his smiling eyes.

Thanks for the tip, Barb, I'll be sure to check it out. I love Terrence Stamp, he's one of the most solid actors of his generation - always good.  Victoria put me onto Truly Madly Deeply, its been mailed to me as we speak (type?), so I can't wait to watch it.

And its so weird you say you love Mandy Patinkin in Princess Bride - he was the only character in the film I liked when I first saw it. The others have grown on me since, but I couldn't take my eyes off the guy!!!  Are you a fan of his music?
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 10:02:58 am »
And its so weird you say you love Mandy Patinkin in Princess Bride - he was the only character in the film I liked when I first saw it. The others have grown on me since, but I couldn't take my eyes off the guy!!!  Are you a fan of his music?

I know he sings, and I remember being floored by his singing in an episode of Dead Like Me, I think it was, once.  But I haven't picked up any of his CDs yet.  Any recommendations?

And I know just what you mean.  The first time I saw The Princess Bride, everyone was going on about Cary Elwes and I kept saying, "But you know who I really liked in it was that Mandy Patinkin."  They'd go "Who?"  I'd go, "You know - Inigo Montoya - 'you killed my father - prepare to die.'"  That fire in his eyes just draws me right in, no matter what he's saying or doing.  I just love him.  I loved him on Chicago Hope and on Dead Like Me.  Even when he plays a very flawed or almost unlikable character, I can't help but like him and relate to him.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Terrence Stamp
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2006, 10:14:26 am »
Has anyone seen the Pasolini movie with the young Terrence Stamp where he visited a family and seduced each member? It was a great Italian movie. I forget the name of it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2006, 10:16:15 am »
My favorite movies choice is largely influenced by the characters in the movie as I tend to appreciate the characters more than other aspects of a movie.

Brokeback Mountain is in it’s own league

1.   The Shawshank Redemption
2.   Schindler’s List
3.   Gone with the Wind
4.   Casablanca
5.   The God Father Trilogy
6.   Gandhi
7.   Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995 Production.  This one hardly qualifies as a movie, but I love Colin Firth’s Mr. Darcy and Lizzy)
8.   The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
9.   Forrest Gump
10.   Pretty Woman
11.   Star War Trilogy
12.   L.A. Confidential
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:24:41 pm by JennyC »

moremojo

Re: Terrence Stamp
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25:23 am »
Has anyone seen the Pasolini movie with the young Terrence Stamp where he visited a family and seduced each member? It was a great Italian movie. I forget the name of it.
Oh yes...this film is called Teorema, and it was made in 1968. I was lucky enough to see this one on the big screen, at a repertory screening to which my parents accompanied me. The subject would seem pretty transgressive even by today's standards, and I wonder how it was received in 1968. The young Mr. Stamp was quite the looker, wasn't he? And Anne Wiazemsky, who played the daughter and would become the second Mrs. Jean-Luc Godard, was very pretty in her own right.

My favorite Pasolini film, by the way, is the 1962 feature Mamma Roma, which enshrines a superb star performance by Anna Magnani.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:36:11 pm by moremojo »

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 11:09:20 am »
BBM is No. 1, the rest are in no particular order.  And by favorite, I mostly mean those I'll watch over and over again no matter how many times I've seen it.

1.  Brokeback Mountain

• This is Spinal Tap
  • The Graduate
  • Saturday Night Fever
  • Animal House
  • Godfather 1 & 2
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Major League
  • The Wall (Pink Floyd)
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Trading Places

:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.