Author Topic: Top Favorite Films!  (Read 138626 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Top 5 Favorite Films!
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2006, 01:34:59 pm »
Ooh, I forgot - we own "Elizabeth," too.  GREAT movie.  Ed (my husband) likes it much better than "Shakespeare in Love," released that same year.

And it's interesting that you listed only "The Empire Strikes Back" from the Star Wars - er, double trilogy?  That's the only one I can tolerate, and I actually quite like it.  I love "It Happened One Night" and "The Best Years of Our Lives" too.

(edited to correct intolerable typo)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:12:02 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2006, 01:54:09 pm »
Ooh, I forgot - we own "Elizabeth," too.  GREAT movie.  Ed (my husband) likes it much better than "Shakespeare in Love," released that same year.

And it's interesting that you listed only "The Empire Strikes Back" from the Star Wars - er, double trilogy?  That's the only one I can tolerate, and I actually quite like it.  I love "It Happened One Night" and "The Best of Our Lives" too.

I do like the whole Star Wars trilogy (the original three), but my favorite is definitely Empire.

I am glad that someone can understand the love of older films. Before BBM, I always said the best films were from the 20's, 30's and 40's. Can't say that now. BBM has really thrown me a curve ball. I didn't expect to love it so much!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
High Fidelity.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2006, 06:10:56 pm »
Many, many of those that have already been mentioned, especially the one that tops most people's lists. PLUS:

Memento
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Back to the Future
Big
Supersize Me
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
The Royal Tenenbaums
Talk to Her
Matchstick Men (which actually already has been mentioned, but I liked it so much I wanted to throw it back in)

and probably a bunch of others I can't think of offhand. My top five list probably has about 50 movies on it (allowing for ties).

But if you asked about my top one, there would only be one.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Teorama
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2006, 04:25:56 pm »
Antonioni and Bertolucci are still among the living, though their output has been apparently sporadic, in both quantity and quality (Antonioni, of course, suffered a major stroke some two decades ago). I personally liked Bertolucci's Besieged, which starred Thandie Newton and David Thewlis, and found it interesting that both Newton and Thewlis are equally treated as erotic objects of attraction for the viewer.
Cheers,
Scott M.

Okay, I'm watching Besieged now! It is a great movie, don't know how I missed it before! It is a strange title though.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2007, 11:22:04 am »
Funny that more of us don't have recent favorite films that we've seen. Are our standards impossibly high now? That is the case with me, and I say, so be it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2007, 08:35:36 am »
My very most favourite movies of all time:

* Brokeback Mountain

* Beautiful Thing

* Maurice

* Romeo & Juliet (Zeferelli 1968)

* Cabaret

* Death in Venice

* Now, Voyager

* Dark Victory

* The Ghost & Mrs Muir (Gene Tierney 1947)

* My Fair Lady

* Priest

* The Sum of Us

* Moonstruck

* Alexander

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:38:47 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2007, 01:32:48 pm »
Kerry, I *love* the Zeferelli version of Romeo & Juliet!  My English teacher showed that to our class in the 8th grade, and it is what started my life-long obsession with Shakespeare.

Nobody's ever done R&J (or any other Shakespeare play) better in movie form, IMHO, and I've pretty much seen them all, including all of Branaugh's stuff which is very good yet leaves me cold.

No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:55 pm »
Oh your lucky! My uptight school made us watch some low budget PBS production in 9th grade. Boy, was it dull. But there was no nudity.   Maybe the film hadn't come out on video.  Probably the school would have had to get approval from the parents.  Like young ppl committing suicide they could handle, a few scenes of nudity would have been too much.

I think this generation is watching the one with Leo D set in modern times.  Is that bad or what?? The Zeferrilli version is by far the best. Score, performances and scenery are great.

I like DR ZHIVAGO and used to have it ranked #1 on my IMDB.com profile.  Now it's just jumbled up with the rest of them.

moremojo

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2007, 02:52:40 pm »
Nobody's ever done R&J (or any other Shakespeare play) better in movie form, IMHO, and I've pretty much seen them all, including all of Branaugh's stuff which is very good yet leaves me cold.
Barb, have you seen the Orson Welles version of Othello? That is an outstanding film, fully worthy, in my opinion, of being placed alongside the Zefferelli Romeo and Juliet. I haven't seen Welles' Macbeth or his Chimes at Midnight (adapted from the Henry V plays), but critic Jonathan Rosenbaum argues that Othello and Chimes at Midnight remain the two greatest movie adaptations of Shakespeare.