Author Topic: Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story  (Read 12688 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:43:47 pm »
I know that for many people, myself included, the presence of fanfiction in the BBM universe has been very healing. Prior to BBM I didn't have a good sense of how much fanfic was out there, although I had read, years before, some /slash with Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock (Star Trek).

The first fanfic story I read was "Ennis: A Sequel" by tforster (there is a link on this board). I enjoyed it, but I didn't truly get "fanfic fever" until I read "Human Interest" by MadLori. That story pulled me in and I read almost the whole thing (when I started reading, she was very close to the end) in one marathon read.

Shortly after finishing HI, I started writing fanfic myself, which for me was the level I needed to move to in the BBM healing process.

Others, want to share your stories? Did you know about fanfic prior to BBM? What were the first couple of stories that you read? What is it about fanfic that helped/healed/hooked you?

Leslie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:58:31 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

Re: Your fanfiction journey: share your story
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:16:07 pm »
As with Leslie, the first fan fiction I read was "Ennis".  I literally stumbled on it and didn't even know the genre existed.  I must confess, I had very mixed feelings about the genre and initially, the story.  I thought I was hardcore "you don't screw around with perfection" kind of guy, but then after joining this forum, I saw how fan fiction itself did more than entertain.  It seemed to allow people to express the deep feelings that Brokeback caused.

The next story I read was "Somebody New".  This was really an odd experience for me.  I didn't really care for it, but it is important to me because it was while reading this, that I began to think that I could (and maybe even wanted to) explore the possibility of writing one of my own.  Having never written any fiction, my natural apprehension, not to mention my low estimation of whatever talent I might possess, kept me from doing this.

Ok, so next up was "A Love Born From Steel".  I was really apprehensive about this story for two reasons:  The first one was that I realized I didn't really care for the AU (alternate universe) type of story (for the reason I stated above), and I was so disappointed in the writing style of "Somebody New", that I feared it would be similar.  Since I didn't really know Leslie at the time, I was approaching it with an unfettered view.  I was pleasantly surprised, and literally devoured the story.  It was around this time that I became more active here at Bettermost and discoverred chat.  Funny story...one day, the chatters in the FanFiciton room were doing their thing, and as I was new, I was not talking a lot, and also having a hard time understanding what the hell they were talking about.  It seemed they were disusing what they did and didn't like about other fics that were popular at the time, and what about them they didn't like.  Well, there was this reference to Ennis getting a pierced nipple.  In my still parochial view of what should and should not be done to Annie Proulx's characters, I said something like:  "What fool would do that to Ennis?"  Well Leslie...I still cringe when I think of that.  I guess I still owe you a drink for that one.

At this point I was sort of fan fiction-ed out.  I started reading "Lead Me To Your Door", and never finished it.  Since everyone here seemed focused on "The Laramie Saga" at the time, I thought I needed to read this thing.  I tried,,I really did.  But everyone was so far ahead of me, and I had read so much before that, as with "LMTYD", I just couldn't get into it enough to catch myself up.  I have the entire story now, and plan to start again at a more liesurely pace.

So...that's where I was when I decided to write my own.  If you have never done it yourself, you can't know how thrilling, and anxiety-causing it can be.  I don't think I'll ever write another large work...but with the addition of Leslie's "Drabblefest" thread, I have found a perfect outlet for the thing I still want to say.

That's it...story over...or at least this chapter.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Your fanfiction journey: share your story
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:50:18 pm »
I didn't know anything about fanfic before BBM.  My first fanfic was Human Interest by MadLori.  I was active on the BBM Yahoo message board, and someone posted chapter 19 of HI.   I read it and was blown away.  It was unbelievably awesome, so I read the whole thing from start to finish.  I'm not sure how long it took me to read it, but i dont think she had finished writing it completely.   

I was also in touch with Ohiomyown from the Yahoo board, so i knew she had a fanfic in the works.  I saved some of her early ideas she kinda bounced off me before she wrote A Better Idea, but they are safe with me i will not share those early ideas.

My all time favorite is Mainewriters A Love Born From Steel and also its sequel Through the Veil of Time.  Leslie,  thank you so much for the printed bound copy of A Love Born from Steel.  You have no idea what it means to me.  I will always treasure it. 

I choose to read fanfics where Jack doesn't die.  I've read quite a few and will continue to read them as long as folks write them.  I have indulged in a couple fanfics where Ennis goes on after Jack dies.  None Ive finished though...

Brokeback Mountain has changed my life so much, I'm a hopelessly devoted Brokie.  Thank you all fanfic authors for keeping Brokeback alive.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:45:39 pm »
I,ve read lots of BBM fan fic stories and in my opinion, the best one ever is Somebody New. I bought the zine some time ago and I shall treasure it always. Lead me to your door was a masterpiece as well. Very clever of marakesh. HI and TCJ and of course ALBFS and TTVOT. As for cannon BBM  well the Laramie Saga obviously. I caught the last bit of BBM last night on sky and I shouted at Ennis, "go to Laramie and find Ellery". Maybe some day it will be filmed. Thats my two cents for what it,s worth anyway. :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:59:31 pm »
I had no idea that FanFiction even existed before BBM. I first saw "A Love Born From Steel" and thought, wow, can they do this? Is this legal? It put a few wrinkles on my brain.

So like Dev, I knew of Ohiomyowns "A Better Idea" and have relished installments of it, even seen a character appear with the same name as me. It is a story in which Jack does not die and in my one and only attempt at fanfiction myself, I wrote a short piece based on Ohio's story in which the truck Jack drove still has a flat tire and what happened to those involved. She posted it for me, and now I think about all the technical innacuracies,etc. in it, o-well.

Some of the others I have read about ennis picking up the pieces start out like they are going to really be something and then just peter out like the writer just lost interest. O-well.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:44:44 pm »
Before Brokeback Mountain I had never heard of fanfiction in my life. The only thing I can remember doing years and years back was write a sequel for Dances with Wolves because I loved the movie so much. Never knew it was called fanfiction though.

I have to admit I thought the whole concept was silly at first and steered well clear of all stories that were already out there. Then I read the first chapter of For A little While and I think I got hooked instantly. Then Leslie sent me her story, A Love Born from Steel and I read that and enjoyed it. Then came Dreaming I think (I still wonder what happened to that and why it was abandoned at this point, only two chapters away from the ending).

Right now I think I mostly read fanfiction, but to be honest, I am trying to cut back a bit.

BBM and fanfiction has also given me back the energy to write again after 4,5 years of pain due to RSI, and yesterday I finished the ninth chapter of my own AU BBM fanfiction story!

All I need to do now is gather all my courage and self-confidence and post it here....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:01:35 pm by Snuitje »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:17:14 pm »

We as you all know, or maybe you dont.  I am a readaholic.  I was in such a
state of turmoil when i started looking for some kind of closure.  That i read
anything i could get my hands on..The first story i found was Human Interest, by Madlori.  The second one was A love born from Steel and Almost simultaneously I found the introduction to the Laramie Saga.  In the
mean time i have found several that i found most compelling, and some just plain entertaining. 
I have enjoyed many of them.  And love several as well, I dont know if I will
go so far as to name a favorite, I think several have fitted that catagory. 
I think the oddest one.   Was one of my favorites,  Green Eyes, was very
different, and I would not say it was my favorite at all.. But i did love the
read.  I loved Jennas Someone New.  I  think all in all they all have contributed in a cumulative way towards the healing that i have achieved.
I adored Lead me to your Door.  I dont know how to finish this off,  just to
say i hope whoever reads this post, can enjoy the ones ive read as much
as i have enjoyed them.                                      janice

Beautiful mind

karen1129

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:37 pm »
After seeing the movie, I was devasted.  I posted on threads, needing that contact with others who felt the same about this movie.  I had never heard of fanfic.  I saw someone post on DC thread somewhere... hey... what if Jack didn't really die.  Then the slash thread started.  I thought to myself.... no way.....
Ennis Del Mar would never take that step toward that sweet life.  I thought it was complete nonsense.  Then, while on vacation... I was bored.... still morning Jack's death and Ennis's pain.. and decided maybe I will take a peek.  Knew I wouldn't like it though.  Hah... the first one I read I believe was A Love Born from Steel.
It blew me away.  Even though in the back of my mind I couldn't believe Ennis would ever go there.....  that fantasy was what I needed to deal.  I read the whole story in one sitting, then tried HI.... read all day and night for a week.
These stories gave me the happy ending I so wanted for our boys.  I haven't stopped reading since.  Where would I be right now without fanfic.  Without
the Ennis and Jack forever stories?  I don't even want to think about it.
A big plus in finding fanfic.... I have made some wonderful, loving friends in
the chat room discussing fics.  Just think what I would have missed out
on if I had never tried fanfic.  Leslie's, Scott's, Lori's and Amy's, Tes's and a whole host of other authors.........  thanks guys !!!  Love ya much.

Karen

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 03:38:55 am »
I, as well, was a stranger to fan fiction. I somehow stumbled on to FanFiction.com and found Madlori's Human Interest and thought "what the hell?!" I was so not yet ready! Then JeffWrangler posted his stories and I loved them. Next came Fernly and she completely broke my heart. Those stories had a huge place in my healing. Now I was ready and went back to Human Interest and ate it up along with A Love Born from Steel-so special because of the journey to that sweet life. Leslie turned me on to Louise and the Laramie Saga and from there I went buck wild. A few stories I avoided until some buds recommended them-Somebody New and Shades of Grey in my top 5, delMar Painting that has moments so poignant my chest hurts, Sienata with her light touch and sexual tension...Lead Me To Your Door-my first AU!AU- 48 Days, If I Asked, the For A Little While trilogy. Oh, then I discovered RPS-that was my fave genre for a while- loved The Bellwether and some that I am currently reading.

I don't do canon-yet.

I am now actively reading 31 stories, 8 that I fear will never be completed but I keep hope alive and 40 on my speadsheet waiting to be read. Fanfic is my new addiction.

When the fan fic thread first started it was mostly just me and Julie and now look at us! Fan Fic keeps the BbM spirit alive for me. Thanks to all you writers that bring 'em boys back to me everyday  :-*.

O0

Heathen

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:39:26 am »
Where to begin? I had NEVER heard of fanfiction or slash before BBM either or been active on any forum whatsoever.
After the movie I was devastated too, completely cut up and desperately needed to find ANY information  about BBM......and so while googling BBM stumbled across the DC Forum.......and fanfiction.

Fanfiction healed me and dragged me out of this huge pit of despair I had landed in after BBM; and being able to talk about BBM over and over and over again with so so many other Brokeaholics. The first stories I read and which absolutely hooked me were For a Little While by Maidenofthesea Madlori's Human Interest Reconcilliation by Wordsmithslash Jenna's Somebody New and later on Green Eyes by Neuontz and This Is The Modern Way by Helen (one of one) and of course The Laramie Saga by Louise The Laramie Saga really helped me deal with my enormous grief over Ennis's loneliness and utter despair at the end of the movie.

I'm still actively reading dozens and dozens of stories and like Mel would like to cut down and have tried to but I just can't yet......I just can't do it. I still LOVE reading about Jack and Ennis in all sorts of settings and I wonder when that will ever go away. As Karen already mentioned, another HUGE plus of this 'addiction' and joining these forums has been that I've met (and I've been lucky enough to really meet a lot of people) and made really special friends for life  :) Friends that I truly treasure  :)

I'd also like to thank all the enormously talented authors out there for sharing and continuing to share all your beautiful stories with us; Brokeback Mountain and fanfiction truly changed my life too, in so many ways  :)