Author Topic: Gossip  (Read 2534 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Gossip
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:05:42 am »
I read this today and it made me think about all the speculation recently just because Heath and Michele had an argument like any normal couple..they must be on the rocks, or because Heath wears his Raybans all the time because he hides behind them..he must be a drug addict, and of course the on going obsession with Jake's sex life.  Perusing the posts made since I've been gone I am ashamed to see (and admit to thinking myselfon occassion) that we, their ardent and most loyal fans are guilty of the same thing.  Shame on us.  :'( I personally resolve to do better in the future.

Quindlen: Gossip in the Age of Anna Nicole
The peeping-Tom trade has been outsourced to the paparazzi. Instead of venom traded over back fences, we have US Weekly and 'The Insider.'
By Anna Quindlen
Newsweek

March 5, 2007 issue - The examination of conscience began when a hardworking and pious woman who had never watched "Access Hollywood" asked a question to which there was no good answer: "Who is Anna Nicole Smith?"
It was the day of the death heard round the world, and for the life of me I didn't know what to say. Actress? Model? Celebrity? Sign of the looming apocalypse? Famous for being famous. The mantra of a new millennium.
Don't get me wrong; there's nothing new about gawking, gossip, getting into the business of other people and being gleeful about it. Surely it was happening in caves, huts, the Pyramids, the Parthenon. What's new about it is scope and responsibility, the first vast, the second nonexistent.

A hundred years ago a girl like Vickie Lynn Hogan, which was Anna Nicole Smith's real name, would have lived in a small town, and everyone would have talked about her behind her back until she moved on to someplace bigger. Britney Spears would have left her babies at home to bounce around the bars, and it would have been Topic A at card games and knitting circles.

Instead of reading on a Web site that the embalming of Anna Nicole's body was complete, you would have heard it from the funeral director at the Elks Lodge. Instead of being told on TV Britney needed to clean up her act, you would have heard it from your cousin who heard it from the choir director who heard it from the principal's wife. Human nature being what it is, people would have pretended to be sympathetic when they were really feeling superior. Sinclair Lewis nailed it in his novel "Main Street," the propensity of the herd to try to bring down the maverick.

But the big difference between then and now would have been twofold: most of the people doing the talking would have had actual knowledge of the women involved, and from time to time they would actually have had to see them on the street, or in the store, or at church. Eye contact has always had a dampening effect on trash talk. It's shame-making, quite properly so.

In our frantic modern world, in which many people don't know their neighbors well enough to gossip to or about them, it's a different story. No one has to feel bad about gawking at Anna posthumously slurring her words on videotape. No one has to feel bad about staring as Britney frantically shaves her head inside a beauty parlor, the moment caught on a lens that gives precisely the effect of the scope on a hunting rifle. Distance insulates us.

And it's easy to blame them for their own fate, Paris and Nicole and all the other child-women who have no résumé except for magazine clippings. After all, some genuine stars have perfected the trick of living like everyday people. Their pictures are taken only when they are being the boldface version of themselves, at press tours and premieres. And they do not habitually exit cars in a way that reveals to anyone waving a camera phone that they are not wearing panties.

But laying the blame solely on exhibitionism is the modern equivalent of people in small towns who used to complain that so-and-so never pulled her shades down (and that she wore black underwear). In those situations there are always two parties: the watched, and the watcher. Lucky for us, we don't have to look in windows ourselves anymore. The peeping-Tom trade has been outsourced to the paparazzi. Instead of venom traded over back fences, we have US Weekly and "The Insider" and all those celeb Web sites.

Full disclosure: a lifelong media junkie, I plead guilty to reading and watching this stuff. (The fact that I knew Anna Nicole Smith's real name off the top of my head says it all.) But there's been something about the recent unrelenting coverage of death, drugs and public downfall that illuminates how far we've come: savagery without shame, judgment without knowledge. All the train-wreck titillation without any of that nasty empathy aftertaste that might arise if you had to see the families at the market tomorrow. This way it's almost like they're not people at all. Gossip is so hard-wired into humans that someday scientists may isolate the gene. But at least we used to mainly gossip about people we actually knew.

Knowing, of course, is what is supposed to set humans apart from animals. After stalking the bogeyman she and the other kids have created out of imagination and legend, Scout Finch, the little girl in "To Kill a Mockingbird," meets the real Boo Radley. In the flesh he is vulnerable, harmless and human, and Scout leads him back inside, away from punishing public scrutiny. Today, if the occasion arose, Boo would be photographed through his window, the little treasures he gave the Finch children auctioned on eBay, the people on his block interviewed by Nancy Grace and Pat O'Brien. And none of this would seem noteworthy or gratuitous or cruel.

After all, we wouldn't even know the guy.    We would just think we knew everything about him.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17313449/site/newsweek/page/2/
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Gossip
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:04:53 am »
Good timing Dottie-

I have never, until joining this community (yeah, it's all your fault Trembleyans  ;) ), been a celeb follower. And then came the perfect storm of Bbm, IMDb, Bettermost and 2 hot young actors. Suddenly I was reading "those" magazines and watching "those" entertainment shows hoping for a glimpse of H&J. The Jake gossip has always irritated me because who gives a blank who he kisses if it ain't me? And poor and Heath/Michelle, they just can't catch a break. Gossip is precisely why they are so reclusive (and why Heath hides behind that I'm Not Hollywood persona).

As my obsession with all things BbM becomes more integrated with the RL me, I find myself no longer scanning the mags or watching gossip TV-though I confess to ripping pages out of the waiting room magazines at the beauty parlor-for some little word or picture of them boys.

I think I'll keep my gossip to people I actually know  8)

O0

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:57:27 am »
I'm kinda torn about this kind of thing.

Yes, pop culture celeb gossip does not become us.  It can be soul-destroying.

But fame is a double-edged sword.

Anna Nicole never shied away from it.  We are [kinda] interested in her because she wanted us to be.  She was a media whore and she loved it.  Paris and the rest of the skank pack have paparazzi hounding them because they want to be famous and be a headline.  They have no other talents or ability to be in the headlines.  Unfortunately, the media blitz and the lack of privacy that comes with it is the downside of their desire for the world's pop culture attention.

Some celebs essentially want their cake and eat it too.  They want to be famous, have headlines and be able to control the media as they like and have it be a boon for their careers or pet projects but they don't want the self-same media to invade their private lives.

[shrug]  Sadly, one comes with the other.  I would argue that all jobs/professions have an up and downside.  This just so happens to be fame's downside in the new world of instant communication.  We are living in the information age.

Yes, I feel sorry for some of them, unable to even get groceries or take their kids to the park without a hyena pack chasing them down and literally blocking their paths.

Some call press conferences to complain about it.

Hello!  If you weren't a celeb in the first place no one would give a shit about you wanting a press conference.

The paradox of fame.   

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:04:47 am »
Thanks Dottie!  I love Anna Quindlen.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:11:57 am »
I'm not always a huge Anna Quindlen fan, but I thought this essay was excellent.

She's not blaming US readers or ET viewers or "Heath Heath Heath" posters for our sordid interest -- or celebrities or capitalizing on it. She's saying our behavior is absolutely human nature. We're programmed to be fascinated with whatever the weird and the beautiful and the out-there members of our community are doing. The thing is, those people used to live three huts down from us. Now they could be anywhere in the world. And we're not hearing it from the other villagers gathered around the well, we're hearing it 24/7, from nine supermarket tabloids, 16 cable channels, countless websites and the New York Times.

It's an evolutionarily unprecedented situation.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:05:37 am »
At work we have a TV in our break room.  It is unofficially set on Fox News or CNN News.

I usually turn it on when I walk in.    The big laugh we get is guessing to see how long it will take before the name Anna Nicole or Brittany Spears will be mentioned!  LOL