Author Topic: How Are You Celebrating Spring?  (Read 12245 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: How Are You Celebrating Spring?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 01:39:36 am »

How am I celebrating Spring? I guess I'll give that question more consideration when we get through Autumn and Winter. It won't be Spring here in Australia until September! Something to look forward to!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:26 am »
With apologies to our Southern Hemisphere members, I would like to get some ideas on celebrating spring. For starters I began my spring cleaning, the repotting of my houseplants, and clearing snow off the deck. What are your spring plans??

Kerry, please see the apology in the first sentence of the first post!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 09:16:16 am »
I had my first glimpse of wildflowers yesterday morning, while being driven to work. There were a clutch of bluebonnets, and a whole plethora of yellow flowers, the name of which I do not know, and no one at work seems able to name as well. Looking at the wildflowers as a venerable rite of spring, and it made me happy to see these first (for me) of the season.

By the way, if anyone can help on the name of the yellow wildflowers, I'd be most obliged. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:18:47 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 09:28:15 am »
Do you have a picture of them? There are so many yellow wildflowers of the daisy variety that here in these parts we call them DYCs (damn yellow composites) because it's so hard to identify one from another! You have to look at the leaves, stems, and how the petals are arranged and how many rays, also the color of the centers.

I've seen some spring beauties here and candytuft. Also, the irises are starting to sprout!!

moremojo

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 09:30:05 am »
Nope, no pictures at present, I'm afraid, but I could explore online to see if I might find any. Thanks, though, FRiend, for your input! And happy (wildlflower) spring!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 09:40:09 am »
It has been so wet this winter that I'm betting my favorite wildflower, the Mariposa Lily, will appear! It only appears in wet seasons. I'm looking forward to showing it to you and your mom, personally!!

I'll have photos here soon!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 03:00:32 pm »
They are blooming in Virginia, but not peaked yet. I am intoxicated by color.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 09:59:30 am »
Do you have a picture of them? There are so many yellow wildflowers of the daisy variety that here in these parts we call them DYCs (damn yellow composites) because it's so hard to identify one from another! You have to look at the leaves, stems, and how the petals are arranged and how many rays, also the color of the centers.

I've seen some spring beauties here and candytuft. Also, the irises are starting to sprout!!

FRiend Lee, I got my answer this morning! My driver Mike had asked another customer of his if by chance he knew the name of these yellow wildflowers, and the man replied that they are Black-eyed Susans, and are members of the marigold family. So my knowledge continues to broaden, as I enjoy these colorful assets to life in Texas.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 11:14:47 pm »
Yes, we have both black-eyed Susans and brown-eyed Susans here, but they won't be blooming for another three months LOL!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:05 pm »
Okay, I guess I'm celebrating spring by going snowboarding!!