Author Topic: Mandatory Viewing  (Read 27197 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: Mandatory Viewing
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:53:19 am »
Another great film worthy of mention is Beau travail, a 1999 feature directed by Claire Denis. An updating of Herman Melville's Billy Budd, this beautiful film shows, like in Brokeback Mountain, how repressed homosexual desire can poison and destroy the lives of men. One of the last great films of the twentieth century, and one of the best gay-themed films I have seen.

Cheers,
Scott M.
I hate not having time to post on here like I used to...

Scott, so you liked Beau Travail?  I have it but haven't watched it for fear of it being a kind of homoerotic Skinemax-ready movie.  But you give it a pretty good endorsement, so I think I will check it out.

Other movies that come to mind that have good underlying social justic themes and are entertaining movies:

• Wilde
  • Gallipolli
  • Maria Full of Grace
  • Brother to Brother
  • In The Name of The Father
  • City of God
  • Dirty Pretty Things
  • My Beautiful Laundrette
  • The Motorcycle Diaries
  • Crash

Just kidding about Crash.   :o

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:21:24 am »
Wow, I haven't seen any of these.  Thanks you guys.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 05:27:12 am »
Have seen (listed by some of you):
The Accused
Schindler's List
Dead Man Walking
Rabbit-Proof Fence
No Man's Land
The Elephant Man
Donnie Darko
Wilde
Gallipolli
Maria Full of Grace
In The Name of The Father
My Beautiful Laundrette
The Motorcycle Diaries
Crash

I'd add:
Bent
Wir zusammen allein mit Dir
Dog Day Afternoon
Hotel Rwanda
Cry Freedom
And the Band Played On
The Crying Game
Festen
Un Amour à Taire
Lola + Bilidikid
Boys Don't Cry
Au revoir, les enfants
The Chosen (1981)

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:08:35 am »

Sorry but I loved Dead Poet Society (being a teacher and all... as well as somebody who has seen the devastating effects of suicides on a family - not my own, but close to me).

I'd also recommend: The Outsiders, Traffic, The Shawshank Redemption

And I'm going to have to add - but before I do *Sheyne holds up riot shield for protection*...

Bowling for Columbine... I am going to come right out now and say that I liked this film. *ducks*

Even though Mike Moore is an egotistical, love him or loathe-him-with-fiery-passion, sensationalist, and-at-times-blatantly-manipulative film-maker, he has his moments. This was one for me. I liked this film for 2 scenes: the interview with Marilyn Manson, who until I saw this movie, I had always dismissed as nothing more than a talentless, attention-seeking, sicko wanker. Gotta love a film that can change my mind about a person with a 4 minute interview.  :-\  Not that I like him. Its just I kinda respect him now.  The other scene I love at the end is when Moore makes Charlton Heston look like a weakling.  The way I look at it is: Moore decided to make a movie about how bad gun violence is. And that's what he did.  I'm not saying I blindly believe everything that was in the movie, but it gave me food for thought. I don't live there in the States, but I do live in the country that holds the current world record for the worst mass killing (Port Arthur, 1996, 35 people killed). And as a teacher who works in a socio-economic area that reeks of despair and desperation (and don't think that the thought of a kid obtaining a gun and shooting up my school doesn't cross my mind every day), it hit a particularly big nerve with me.  I liked it anyways, I'll completely respect your opinions if you don't feel the same way... *tentatively lowers riot shield*

Oh and I completely agree with whoever said Donnie Darko.. even if its only for the whole visual orgasm that is Jake G.  ;D
Chut up!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:29:23 pm »
Has anyone seen Ma vie en Rose?
Sorry my horn only has one key/button/hole.

It's about a child who's a boy on the outside and a girl on the inside.  It's been awhile since I saw it but I remember its being beautifully done.

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 02:01:46 pm »
Has anyone seen Ma vie en Rose?
Sorry my horn only has one key/button/hole.

It's about a child who's a boy on the outside and a girl on the inside.  It's been awhile since I saw it but I remember its being beautifully done.
Yes, I saw this film a few years back, at the theatre with my sister. We both enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily see the little boy as a girl trapped inside a male body (i.e., a transsexual), but perhaps a child with homosexual tendencies who identified more strongly with those of the opposite sex at that age. This was certainly true of me in my early childhood--I was interested in girls' things, felt more comfortable being around girls, and even wanted to be a girl. This desire to be a girl faded away as I progressed further towards puberty--and my interest in boys grew in proportion.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:42:57 pm by moremojo »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 02:24:10 pm »
Yes, I saw this film a few years back, at the theatre with my sister. We both enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily see the little boy as a girl trapped inside a male body (i.e., a transsexual), but perhaps a child with homosexual tendencies who identified more strongly with those of the opposite sex at that age. This was certainly true of me in my early childhood--I was interested in girls' things, felt more comfortable being around girls, and even wanted to be a girl. This desire to be a girl faded away as I progressed further towards puberty--and my interest in boys grew in proportion.

Scott M.
I thought the same thing.  Ostensibly it's about a boy who could be transgender.  But there's a moment in the movie, I think it's when he asks his mother what a 'tapette' is, and she says something like, it's boys like you.  I went, ohhhhhh, he's a queer boy who identifies with girls. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 07:20:49 pm »

Bowling for Columbine... I am going to come right out now and say that I liked this film. *ducks*

Even though Mike Moore is an egotistical, love him or loathe-him-with-fiery-passion, sensationalist, and-at-times-blatantly-manipulative film-maker, he has his moments. The other scene I love at the end is when Moore makes Charlton Heston look like a weakling.  The way I look at it is: Moore decided to make a movie about how bad gun violence is. And that's what he did.  I'm not saying I blindly believe everything that was in the movie, but it gave me food for thought. I don't live there in the States, but I do live in the country that holds the current world record for the worst mass killing (Port Arthur, 1996, 35 people killed). And as a teacher who works in a socio-economic area that reeks of despair and desperation (and don't think that the thought of a kid obtaining a gun and shooting up my school doesn't cross my mind every day), it hit a particularly big nerve with me.  I liked it anyways, I'll completely respect your opinions if you don't feel the same way... *tentatively lowers riot shield*

Oh, I agree MM has his moments, brilliant moments, but the Charleston Heston one was despicable.  I hated that part.  MM was so deceptive, so misleading, so everything I hate about the media.  He was SO manipulative and so obvious about it.  It made Heston look like a paragon of gentlemanly virtue compared to MM's hack.   >:(

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 07:21:59 pm »
I just watched Schindler's List a few days ago......that movie has some power to it! 

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 12:50:45 am »
"Powder"...yes, "Powder" with Sean Patrick Flannery.

And "Beloved" with Oparah...

'Scuse me? How come none of you told me that Jared Leto was the love of Colin Farrell's life in "Alexander"  Even though you knew I would fast forward through the battle scenes?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 12:53:48 am by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"