Author Topic: Mandatory Viewing  (Read 27435 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Mandatory Viewing
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 01:20:33 am »
Great recommendations so far!  I will also add

Gandhi:  for one man’s perseverance and believe that changed the history, for the power of non-violence, civil disobedience.  You can see many similarities between Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King.

vkm91941

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:16 am »
"Powder"...yes, "Powder" with Sean Patrick Flannery.

And "Beloved" with Oparah...

'Scuse me? How come none of you told me that Jared Leto was the love of Colin Farrell's life in "Alexander"  Even though you knew I would fast forward through the battle scenes?

Jared Leto is still looking just beautiful isn't he!  Those eyes

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 06:30:59 am »

Sorry but I loved Dead Poet Society (being a teacher and all... as well as somebody who has seen the devastating effects of suicides on a family - not my own, but close to me).

I'd also recommend: The Outsiders, Traffic, The Shawshank Redemption

And I'm going to have to add - but before I do *Sheyne holds up riot shield for protection*...

Bowling for Columbine... I am going to come right out now and say that I liked this film. *ducks*

Even though Mike Moore is an egotistical, love him or loathe-him-with-fiery-passion, sensationalist, and-at-times-blatantly-manipulative film-maker, he has his moments. This was one for me. I liked this film for 2 scenes: the interview with Marilyn Manson, who until I saw this movie, I had always dismissed as nothing more than a talentless, attention-seeking, sicko wanker. Gotta love a film that can change my mind about a person with a 4 minute interview.  :-\  Not that I like him. Its just I kinda respect him now.  The other scene I love at the end is when Moore makes Charlton Heston look like a weakling.  The way I look at it is: Moore decided to make a movie about how bad gun violence is. And that's what he did.  I'm not saying I blindly believe everything that was in the movie, but it gave me food for thought. I don't live there in the States, but I do live in the country that holds the current world record for the worst mass killing (Port Arthur, 1996, 35 people killed). And as a teacher who works in a socio-economic area that reeks of despair and desperation (and don't think that the thought of a kid obtaining a gun and shooting up my school doesn't cross my mind every day), it hit a particularly big nerve with me.  I liked it anyways, I'll completely respect your opinions if you don't feel the same way... *tentatively lowers riot shield*

You can lower it all the way with me, baby.  I LOVE that film.  And Marilyn Manson - YES!  I think I might have actually fallen in love with him in that scene.  He comes on the screen and I think, "Oh, geez, here we go..." and what comes out of his mouth is some of the most beautiful, heart-wrenching truth I've ever heard uttered in the English language.  Talk about being so totally wrong in your impressions of another person.  My heart grew three sizes that day.  And the Charleton Heston sequence was Da Bomb.  Talk about ending a movie with a bang and not a whimper.  What a monumental horse's ass he proved himself to be.  I always suspected it, but now it's immortalized on film.

My husband is one of those who cannot stand Michael Moore the person.  But he thought this and Farenheit 9/11 were brilliant, especially the latter.  His only beef with F 9/11 is that Moore didn't end it with his favorite Who song ("We Won't Get Fooled Again") instead of whatever one he chose which escapes me now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:33:19 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 07:17:31 am »
Ooh, and speaking of documentaries, I *cannot* believe I forgot to add this one to my list:  Hoop Dreams.  If you want to know the *true* state of race relations in this country, you need look no further.  Quite possibly the best documentary ever made.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 07:18:13 am »
'Scuse me? How come none of you told me that Jared Leto was the love of Colin Farrell's life in "Alexander"  Even though you knew I would fast forward through the battle scenes?

Where you been flash?  Why do yoiu think I was on the 'Alexander' board for 4 months and I keep saying that not even Jake has pushed Jared off his pedestal yet?

Jared was ungodly meltingly beautiful in that movie.  Even if the only skin he showed was a saucy bit of bosom. :-*

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:30:04 am by delalluvia »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 09:01:27 am »
You can lower it all the way with me, baby.  I LOVE that film.  And Marilyn Manson - YES!  I think I might have actually fallen in love with him in that scene.  He comes on the screen and I think, "Oh, geez, here we go..." and what comes out of his mouth is some of the most beautiful, heart-wrenching truth I've ever heard uttered in the English language.  Talk about being so totally wrong in your impressions of another person.  My heart grew three sizes that day.  And the Charleton Heston sequence was Da Bomb.  Talk about ending a movie with a bang and not a whimper.  What a monumental horse's ass he proved himself to be.  I always suspected it, but now it's immortalized on film.

My husband is one of those who cannot stand Michael Moore the person.  But he thought this and Farenheit 9/11 were brilliant, especially the latter.  His only beef with F 9/11 is that Moore didn't end it with his favorite Who song ("We Won't Get Fooled Again") instead of whatever one he chose which escapes me now.

*tosses riot shield aside*

Phew.. thanks, Barb.  The first time I watched BFC was at home on DVD and I didn't even see the whole movie. My then-partner and I got home about half an hour into it. We were immediately engrossed. My dad - who never gets out movies - checked it out on DVD on the recommendation of a friend. We watched it right to the end (the planned dinner-and-drinks be damned!! lol)..  And the Manson interview. What an intelligent, almost poetic guy he was!!!  The complete antithesis of his rock persona. You know the part I'm talking about, right Barb?  Moore: What would you say to them?  Manson: "I wouldn't say a word. I'd shut up and listen to what they had to say. That's what no-one did."  Tell me that doesn't strike a chord that vibrates for a looooong time!! So true. Very insightful man.

Del was saying in an earlier post that she hated the Heston scene.  I say each to his own on this. It was a very manipulative and cheeky tactic. Heston clearly didn't know it was coming. But having the balls to take the Columbine massacre to the head of the NRA and demand answers?? You gotta be very brave or very stupid.  Either way, Heston came off looking like a dick. And - you should know i am VERY anti-gun - personally, I thought he deserved it. Never liked him as an actor. Like him even less as the president of the National Rifle Assn.  Wouldn't you love to strap him to a chair and make him watch Brokeback, hunh?? lol  ;D
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 09:44:44 am »
Phew.. thanks, Barb.  The first time I watched BFC was at home on DVD and I didn't even see the whole movie. My then-partner and I got home about half an hour into it. We were immediately engrossed. My dad - who never gets out movies - checked it out on DVD on the recommendation of a friend. We watched it right to the end (the planned dinner-and-drinks be damned!! lol)..  And the Manson interview. What an intelligent, almost poetic guy he was!!!  The complete antithesis of his rock persona. You know the part I'm talking about, right Barb?  Moore: What would you say to them?  Manson: "I wouldn't say a word. I'd shut up and listen to what they had to say. That's what no-one did."  Tell me that doesn't strike a chord that vibrates for a looooong time!! So true. Very insightful man.

Yep - that's right when I fell in love with him.  I think I gasped out loud in the theater upon his saying "That's what no one did."  So did several other people.  I saw BFC on its opening weekend at the one art cinema down here - it was packed with liberals.  A beautiful, beautiful thing.  I saw F 9/11 the same way.  Took a half vacation day from work to do it.  It was worth every penny.

Del was saying in an earlier post that she hated the Heston scene.  I say each to his own on this. It was a very manipulative and cheeky tactic. Heston clearly didn't know it was coming. But having the balls to take the Columbine massacre to the head of the NRA and demand answers?? You gotta be very brave or very stupid.  Either way, Heston came off looking like a dick. And - you should know i am VERY anti-gun - personally, I thought he deserved it. Never liked him as an actor. Like him even less as the president of the National Rifle Assn.  Wouldn't you love to strap him to a chair and make him watch Brokeback, hunh?? lol  ;D

Say what you will about Michael Moore - the man is utterly fearless.  And yes, I would love to strap Heston down, A Clockwork Orange styl-lee, and watch him squirm during the first tent scene.  Then I think I'd make him watch Katie Couric, the bitch, making a grown man cry on network television in describing how he felt when he got the news his only son had been shot to death in the face by a fellow classmate.  Over and over and over.

(The important thing is I'm not bitter.)
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 10:19:53 am »
I love you Barb.

Gotta sprinkle my I love yous from my I love you can.

Want my love-petunias to grow.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:53 am »
I love you Barb.

Gotta sprinkle my I love yous from my I love you can.

Want my love-petunias to grow.

You know I love you too, babe.  Check your PMs.  Got a love letter especially for you come general delivery.
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 01:39:20 pm »
Anyone heard of this French film, "Le Retour de Martin Guerre"? About (real) adultery, and how it is not always worthy of condemnation...

YES! I haven't thought of that movie in a long time, but I remember being completely in awe of it when I first saw it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.