Author Topic: Happy International Women's Day!!!  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Happy International Women's Day!!!
« on: March 08, 2007, 03:03:49 pm »
Join me in celebrating the women of the world ..

"It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women."

http://www.internationalwomensday.com/

:-*

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:15:50 pm by Lucise »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Happy International Women's Day!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :-*  :-*  :-*  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:52:21 pm »
Thanks David, and good idea Milli ! Just hope one day we don't need this kind of day anymore...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:35 pm »
Cheers David!!  ;)

Hiya Isabelle!
It's been ages since I've seen ya online!  How are ya?  :-*

Since every other day is basically Men's day, we need this one to celebrate The Force of Woman and draw light to the issues of women/girls around the world.  8)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:28:36 pm by Lucise »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:06:13 pm »
Yee-haw! Happy IWD to my sisters! How shall we celebrate?!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:31:17 pm »
Cheers David!!  ;)

Hiya Isabelle!
It's been ages since I've seen ya online!  How are ya?  :-*

Since every other day is basically Men's day, we need this one to celebrate The Force of Woman and draw light to the issues of women/girls around the world.  8)

Hi Milli, I've been quite ill - and it's not finished, but I'm feeling better now, that's why!

I totaly agree that we need to bring people's attention to the plight of girls and women in some countries, and remind our societies that no, women are still not on an equal footing with men (at least not in France). If one day we do not need such a day anymore, then it will mean we shall have nothing more to claim, and that day will be a GLORIOUS day, that's what I meant!

Let's celebrate by writing a list for each country of the ways women are still not treated as equal to men.

I'll start:

*Here, the overwhelming majority of unchosen part-time workers are women,
*the majority of unemployed are women.
*VERY few women study sciences.
*We are the worst country in Europe where the number of women politicians is concerned.
*It is not uncommon to hear "never mind, you'll do better next time" when a family's first born is a girl.
*Playing football for girls is still very scare - and you are automatically labelled "lesbian" if you play it.
*Being a woman (because you have kids, or might do) is a hinderance to get jobs with responsibility.
*There is still a 25% difference between men's and women's wages.
*Women still do 97% of all household tasks, including childcare - on top of their work day.

Better in the States??
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:41:44 pm »
Happy Happy, Cheers to the Women of the world!

(Thanks for letting me know, I almost missed it) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the facts Isabelle!  Sorry to hear you have been sick.  :-*

Here in Canada:

(~courtesy of statcan.ca)

Women are playing stronger roles in the workplace and their profile is rising in many professional fields, according to a new assessment on the evolving status of women in Canadian society.

However, the report still shows substantial gaps between the sexes in many key areas.

The average earnings of employed women are still substantially lower than those of men, women make up a disproportionate share of the population with low incomes and women are much more likely than men to work part time.

On the other hand, one of their real success stories has been the dramatic gain in the proportion of women with a university degree. Women are still slightly less likely than men to have a university degree. But the gap is much narrower than in the past.

In 2004, 58% of all women aged 15 and over were part of the paid work force, up from 42% in 1976. In contrast, the proportion of men who were employed fell during this period from 73% to 68%.

As a result, women accounted for 47% of the employed work force in 2004, up from 37% in 1976.

The report also showed that women have somewhat higher literacy skills, on average, than the male population; the proportion of women living with their spouse has declined in the past two decades; more women are living alone; and women make up the majority of the Canadian population with disabilities.

Professional fields:

In 2004, 37% of all those employed in managerial positions were women, up from 30% in 1987.

However, all this growth occurred in the early part of this period. The share of management positions accounted for by women actually dipped slightly between 1996 and 2004.

By 2004, 65% of all women with children under the age of three were employed, more than double the proportion in 1976.

In 2004, 68% of female lone parents were employed, whereas the figure was below 50% in 1976.

In fact, there has been virtually no change in the proportion of women employed in these traditionally female-dominated occupations over the past decade.

Women's earnings:

In 2003, women working on a full-time, full-year basis had average earnings of $36,500, or 71% what their male counterparts made.
As well, the gap between the earnings of women and men has not changed substantially in the past decade.

One in seven women is a visible minority

More than two million women, or 14% of the total female population, are members of a visible minority. They are centered largely in Toronto and Vancouver.

More than one-quarter (26%) of women who reported that they were in a visible minority were Chinese, while 22% were South Asian and 17% were Black, according to the 2001 Census.

Three out of every four women who were members of a visible minority lived in either Ontario or British Columbia. Women in a visible minority made up 22% of the overall female population of British Columbia, and 19% in Ontario.

The female visible minority population is relatively well educated. In 2001, 21% of visible minority woman aged 15 or older had a university degree, compared with 14% of other women.

So here's to every woman out there trying to make her way in the world -
More Power to ya!!   8)