Author Topic: Ennis at 63.....whats he been doing??  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Ennis at 63.....whats he been doing??
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:08:37 pm »
I recently responded to someone talking about the Ennis Blues in Milli's thread, saying that the reason we feel so sad about Ennis, is that now in 2007, he would be 63 yrs old, and has lived without Jack for many many years.

I'm starting this thread, to get some of your thoughts on what you think Ennis would be doing at age 63.....what he has done over the years since he lost Jack.....what he has done with his life?......maybe some of you know an Ennis.....I do, and I will write that story here in the next couple of days.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Ennis at 63.....whats he been doing??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:56:48 pm »
I do read Louise's Laramie Saga fanfic - so in that sense, he met Ellery Cantrell and slowly started a new life for himself, never forgetting Jack of course.  ;)

If I didn't read any "Moving!On" Ennis fanfiction stories, I'd have to say ..
He stayed single for some years, alone, working on a few ranches, moved out of that trailer into a small house in Riverton.  But he meets someone who becomes a friend, someone who accepts his quiet moods just like Jack did.  He goes up to Brokeback once a year; the shirts are still in his closet; Jack's memory is alive in his heart and soul .. even if his relationship with this new 'someone' becomes physical as they get more attached.

Anything .. just don't let Ennis die alone in that trailer! Please!
 :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:18:45 pm »
My take on Ennis at 63 (indeed, on the rest of his life).  ;)  ;D

Some Sweet Life

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2841532/1/
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »
Well, in my brain, there are a couple of different Ennises...

1) Laramie Saga Ennis, who is living happily ever after with Ellery in Laramie

2) "my" Ennis...you can read all about him in Through The Veil Of Time. He's 63, happy with Jack, welcomed a new grandchild into the world on Dec 24th and is mourning the passing of his brother on Feb 20th.

In my story, Ennis and Jack talk about what would have happened if their lives had been true to the story...and Jack tells Ennis, he thinks that he would have found someone else. Ennis would have figured out he is gay and eventually found a new love. I believe that. I don't think Ennis would have lived out his life, alone and miserable, in that trailer. I think the gift that Jack gave him, in his death, is the realization of his capacity for love. That would be the way he would honor Jack's memory.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:33:02 am »
I recently responded to someone talking about the Ennis Blues in Milli's thread, saying that the reason we feel so sad about Ennis, is that now in 2007, he would be 63 yrs old, and has lived without Jack for many many years.

I'm starting this thread, to get some of your thoughts on what you think Ennis would be doing at age 63.....what he has done over the years since he lost Jack.....what he has done with his life?......maybe some of you know an Ennis.....I do, and I will write that story here in the next couple of days.

I think one key to unlock the door to Ennis may be Alma, Jr., whose quite insightfulness already suggests she understands him more than he thinks she does.  I could picture Junior confronting Ennis about his ridiculous solitary lifestyle and forcefully intervening with him to stop living life like a hermit.  He would openly resist such efforts, but often Ennis types will quietly follow the advice.  Clearly, another Jack type would need to be a catalyst here - Ennis is not gregarious and he's not aggressive about his personal life.  He has learned a key lesson about the price of inaction over Jack, though.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:52:42 pm »
I'm afraid I have a less optimistic view of what Ennis has been doing all these years than most everyone here.  I think I'm closest to being on the same page with Jeff's Some Sweet Life.  I think he would find some measure of happiness with Alma, Jr.'s family (and Jenny's/Francine's, if she has one).  I like to think of one or both of them having at least one son, so that Ennis could be instrumental in raising a boy like he always wanted to be.  I like to think of him teaching his grandson(s) to ride and shoot and spending some time camping with them.  And I like to think of him at least living quite closeby to Alma, Jr. and her family - like within walking distance closeby.  I think he'd refuse to stay with her because in many ways he doesn't mind being alone (being alone and being lonely are two different things).  But I think he'd like to live nearby so he could see the kids regularly and get a decent meal once in a while.

But I don't think he'd ever be able to be with another man.  I think that after Jack's death, he would revert further inward and would perhaps become even more homophobic than he was before.  I think he would find other men attractive from time to time - especially if they reminded him of Jack - but I don't think he would ever act on it in any way again.  I don't like to think of him being this way, but I think it's true to his character.

I like Jeff's vision for his future the best of all the fanfics because it stays truest to his character and to the reality of the story but isn't utterly without hope for him to finally find some measure of peace and joy in this life and a thousand times moreso in the next.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:06:00 am »
I agree with you, Barb. Ennis would never find another man who could live up to Jack's memory, and he would be dwelling forever with Jack in his dreams.  :'(

"chewing gum and duct tape"