Author Topic: Maggie Gyllenhaal!  (Read 37779 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in the next Batman movie!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:29:39 pm »
My jury is still out on Maggie but I am falling in love with Michelle-though she does have a shakey reputation...

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 09:56:06 pm »
My jury is still out on Maggie but I am falling in love with Michelle-though she does have a shakey reputation...

Shaky reputation in what sense?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:52:01 am »

http://www.observer.com/2008/style/maggie-gyllenhaal-i-dark-knight-i

From The NewYork Observer:

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Heath Ledger, Her Brother, and Her Shrink

by Irina Aleksander
July 14, 2008

For its August issue, Marie Claire recruited Maggie Gyllenhaal, Batman's girlfriend in The Dark Knight—and stroller-pushing Park Sloper—to talk about her career, her brother Jake, and what it was like losing co-star and Brooklyn neighbor, Heath Ledger earlier this year.

You already know what's next: Highlights!

On the death of Heath Ledger: "We live pretty close to them. [But] it was disgusting. I had journalists call me on my cell phone. There were these two shy girls sent from some rag magazine to camp in front of my house. I came home with [my daughter] Ramona and I was so shocked and angry. These poor girls, it wasn’t their fault. They were out of their element."

On seeing a shrink: "For me it's about getting to know my own mind... It makes it easier to grow, and to grow up. I'm always thinking about what I want to take from my mother and what I don't."

On her younger brother, Jake: “We lived with him in Los Angeles when Peter [Sarsgaard] and Jake were making Rendition. Jake has a beautiful house, much nicer than a hotel. He’s great with kids—it comes naturally to him. He really has that touch.”

On turning 30: “I’m not the youngest person at the table anymore. I’m not the young precocious one... I feel like I’m engaging with people in a different way now. I am a woman. I’m treated with respect, as an equal.”

http://www.marieclaire.com/hair/celebrity/behind-scenes/maggie-gyllenhaal-interview-dark-knight?click=main_sr

From Marie Claire:

Mega Maggie Gyllenhaal

Once the queen of quirky indie movies, The Dark Knight star Maggie Gyllenhaal braces for the highs — and surprising lows — of blockbuster-size fame.

By Meryl Gordon

For her breakthrough role as a kinky office assistant in 2002's Secretary, Maggie Gyllenhaal earned $65,000 for a performance that required her to be spanked and deliver mail on all fours. The budget was so low for her star turn as a troubled ex-convict in Sherrybaby (2006) that she didn't have a trailer; the crew carried around a hospital cot so she could take catnaps between scenes. Now, the onetime indie queen finds herself squarely in Hollywood blockbuster territory, playing Batman's girlfriend in The Dark Knight — budget $180 million — where there are as many pitfalls as perks. Consider: Suddenly, she's a target for the fashion police.

"Oh, my God, all the time," says Gyllenhaal, her voice rising. After she wore a sweeping purple Peter Som gown to the Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute gala last May, her photo appeared on a "worst dressed" Website accompanied by vicious put-downs from bloggers. "I thought I looked great," she says. "Sometimes it freaks me out. I've been so hurt and felt so bad." But with extra star wattage from her actor fiancé, Peter Sarsgaard, and her famous younger brother, Jake, she knows that everything about her is considered fair game — now more than ever. "People will always say mean things about you if you put yourself out there," she says — and she has never been one to hold back.

"Maggie's got a lot of sass," says Aaron Eckhart, who stars as the disfigured vigilante Two-Face in The Dark Knight. He starts to laugh as he adds, "She has very strong opinions on acting and things outside moviemaking. She's not afraid to speak her mind."

On this sunny afternoon at the cozy restaurant Savoy, a Soho mainstay, Gyllenhaal, who has come directly from her 8-year-old niece's dance recital, is dressed — full fashion alert — for comfort, in sandals, blue jeans, a gray jersey wrap top, a Miu Miu red cardigan sweater, an antique diamond engagement ring, and a gold necklace with her 22-month-old daughter Ramona's name engraved on a tiny angel pendant. Tall and slender, she has a throaty voice and a lopsided smile. It has become de rigueur for anorectic actresses to consume big meals when dining with reporters to prove they do eat, but Gyllenhaal does not appear to be acting when she digs into a plate of pork sausage.

When I first met Gyllenhaal two years ago, she was very pregnant and house-hunting. Today she's deep into motherhood and renovating the 1860s brownstone she owns with Sarsgaard ("We made every mistake you can make"). Gyllenhaal — who's been cool with playing tortured characters and graphic sex scenes — admits that it took her a while to adjust to the mommy role. "I've spent all my time learning how to be a mother and make a home with a child," she says, adding that when Ramona was first born, "I didn't know what I was doing. It's so hard and requires so much work and careful thought. You just get stronger and stronger."

She thinks a lot about the kind of example she wants to set for her daughter, a topic she frequently hashes out in therapy. "For me it's about getting to know my own mind," she says of regularly seeing a shrink. "It makes it easier to grow, and to grow up. I'm always thinking about what I want to take from my mother and what I don't."

Gyllenhaal was raised in a close-knit baby-boomer household in California with politically active parents (her father, Stephen, is a director; her mother, Naomi Foner, a screenwriter). "They were not celebrities," she notes, which allowed her and Jake to have tabloid-free childhoods. Born in 1977, she came of age with the impression that it wasn't important to wear makeup, nor was it OK to manipulate people with her feminine wiles. "I always felt there was something dishonest about dyeing your hair to make it more beautiful," Gyllenhaal says — although she's over that now.

http://www.marieclaire.com/hair/celebrity/behind-scenes/maggie-gyllenhaal-photos

Behind the Scenes with Maggie Gyllenhaal

The onetime indie girl is back in a whole new way. Playing off a vintage-inspired set, she channeled the '30s with jewel tones and lots of va-va-va-voom.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:36 pm »
Maggie and I were born the same year!!!  I feel SO VERY COOL now!!!

;D

(previously, it was known only to me as "also the year that Elvis Presley died."
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:31 pm »
Maggie and I were born the same year!!!  I feel SO VERY COOL now!!!

;D

(previously, it was known only to me as "also the year that Elvis Presley died."

It is also the year Leslie graduated from college...

and one of those trivia things...I took my nursing boards on 7/7/77 and 7/8/77 (back in those days it was a two day exam and they called them boards).

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:26 pm »
It is also the year Leslie graduated from college...

and one of those trivia things...I took my nursing boards on 7/7/77 and 7/8/77 (back in those days it was a two day exam and they called them boards).

L

what do they call them now?

Here's a pic of Maggie/Rachel Dawes, to stay OT.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:15:22 pm »
what do they call them now?

Nowadays they call them the NCLEX and it is all computerized...you take them any day, not on set days of the year.

L

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 03:55:25 pm »

Maggie can be so cute!  She also looks so much like Jake sometimes it's spooky.

I thought the scenes between Heath and Maggie in TDK were just so surreal given the closeness of the work he did with her brother.

It's amazing to me how much Heath's career/ legacy is bound up with the Gyllenhaal family... with them being in his two most high-profile movies.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 02:47:47 am »

It's amazing to me how much Heath's career/ legacy is bound up with the Gyllenhaal family... with them being in his two most high-profile movies.

And Jake being godfather to Matilda

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 08:59:23 am »

And Jake being godfather to Matilda

Yes, absolutely.  Heath and the Gyllenhaals have become intertwined in such significant ways. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie