Author Topic: Maggie Gyllenhaal!  (Read 37825 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Maggie Maggie Maggie Gyllenhaal (and Peter Sarsgaard)
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 07:36:21 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/theater/08itzk.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Together Off Broadway and Elsewhere

Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard, frequently seen in each other’s company around New York, are both in
the Classic Stage Company production of Chekhov’s “Uncle Vanya.”

Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard onstage in the Classic Stage Company production of “Uncle Vanya.”

Mr. Sarsgaard, left, with Ms. Gyllenhaal and Ebon Moss-Bachrach in the 2007 short film “High Falls,”
the couple’s only previous acting collaboration.

By DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: February 4, 2009

WHEN Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard started coming to the Classic Stage Company in the East Village a few weeks ago to begin rehearsals for Chekhov’s “Uncle Vanya,”  they were surprised, marginally flattered and mildly annoyed to find that a phalanx of paparazzi had staked out the theater, flashbulbs at the ready.

Then they learned that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, who had taken up residence nearby, were regular visitors to the coffee shop in the theater’s lobby and were the photographers’ true quarries.

“They actually had nothing to do with us,” Mr. Sarsgaard said with an embarrassed laugh during a recent interview.

“But,” Ms. Gyllenhaal added, “they were like, ‘All right, as long as you’re here.’ ”

“Two for the price of one,” Mr. Sarsgaard said. “Awesome.”

In the constellation of couples who fascinate and transfix — Tom and Katie, Brad and Angelina, Matthew and Sarah Jessica — Peter and Maggie are minor lights, their appeal driven not by exotic trappings (private planes, bodyguards, baby photos for sale) but by career paths and indie credentials that have defined them as actors first, boldface names third or fifth.

Over lunch at a trattoria near their Park Slope home, Ms. Gyllenhaal and Mr. Sarsgaard come across like a shinier version of That Brooklyn Couple who gave up the hubbub of Manhattan to raise their child in a quieter, tree-lined borough. They paw affectionately at each other’s collars and complete each other’s sentences; juggle their work schedules to accommodate their 2-year-old daughter, Ramona; and grumble about carrying strollers down subway staircases.

On closer inspection, though, that veneer of mundanity starts to unravel: the couple, who have been together since 2001, are not married, live in their own brownstone, refer to each other as lover (at least Mr. Sarsgaard uses the term) and can often arrange their work schedules so that one of them is free to attend their child. They also happen to make their living in front of millions of people; when they perform onstage, the playwright John Guare comes to their previews; and when they travel to work in Montreal, they hang out with the rock band the Arcade Fire.

This makes them noticeable enough around New York that they attract attention even for routine conduct — Ms. Gyllenhaal ignited an online controversy in 2007 simply for being caught by a photographer in the act of breast-feeding Ramona — which has instilled in them a self-consciousness, as individuals and as a couple.

So there is an added frisson to their coming collaboration in “Uncle Vanya”  (which opens on Thursday and runs through March 8 ), one of the rare instances when the two will appear together in a professional capacity.

Mr. Sarsgaard and Ms. Gyllenhaal said they would work together more often if there were more low-risk opportunities like this, at a small Off Broadway theater with an accommodating director.

“It is only about the experience of doing it, and with your lover; why would we engage in anything any other way than that?” Mr. Sarsgaard said. “Why would we join forces commercially? It would be ——”

“Kind of disgusting,” Ms. Gyllenhaal said, finishing his thought.

Their individual résumés explain why the prospect of their acting together is so intriguing. Mr. Sarsgaard, 37, is coming off a widely praised Broadway revival of Chekhov’s “Seagull,”  in which he played Trigorin with Kristin Scott Thomas as Arkadina, to add to a repertory of reserved yet sympathetic characters in movies like “Shattered Glass,” “Kinsey”  and “Garden State.”

Ms. Gyllenhaal, 31, who was last seen on screen in the summer blockbuster “The Dark Knight”  (playing a role she inherited from Ms. Holmes), has her own tradition of playing astonishingly raw and unglamorous characters, in films like “Sherrybaby”  and “Secretary”  and plays like Tony Kushner’s “Homebody/Kabul.”

Thus, some coincidence — and some convincing — was required for them to come together in “Uncle Vanya.” Last summer Brian Kulick, the artistic director of the Classic Stage Company, began assembling the production, hiring the veteran Chekhov interpreter Austin Pendleton to direct and Denis O’Hare, a Tony Award winner for “Take Me Out,”  to play the titular misanthrope.

Finding an actress to play Yelena, the young married beauty who inconveniently attracts the affections of Vanya and the melancholy country doctor Astrov, was a months-long process. It was only after another actress turned down the role that Mr. Kulick turned to Ms. Gyllenhaal.

And it was she who suggested Mr. Sarsgaard for the role of Astrov, a suggestion that took the play’s creative team by surprise. As Mr. Pendleton recalled, “I said, ‘But he’s in “The Seagull.”  ’ I didn’t even know Maggie and Peter were together.”

Though Mr. Pendleton did not realize it, what made the bargain unique is that Mr. Sarsgaard and Ms. Gyllenhaal have acted together on only one previous occasion, in the 2007 short film “High Falls.”  In that movie, directed by Andrew Zuckerman, a friend of the couple, they played a husband and wife who jeopardize their relationship when they each reveal crucial secrets to the same confidant.

The project was not quite their “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?,” but Ms. Gyllenhaal recalled making the film as a taxing experience. She was about seven months pregnant with Ramona when “High Falls” was shot.  “I didn’t have an artistic mind at that time,” she said. “I hated the feeling of not having the energy to have a point of view.”

(For his part, Mr. Sarsgaard said, “I had a great time.”)

Mr. Sarsgaard and Ms. Gyllenhaal wanted the “Vanya”  roles, but faced a final hurdle: securing child care for Ramona. They are generally careful to organize their schedules so that one can take care of her while the other is working.

(Ms. Gyllenhaal is also extremely circumspect about discussing Ramona in interviews. When Mr. Sarsgaard began to talk about his daughter’s penchant for singing songs as she walks down the street, Ms. Gyllenhaal put her hand on his. “No more Ramona talk,” she said.)

Eventually the two were able to work out a baby-sitting system that involved a nanny, Mr. Sarsgaard’s parents, Ms. Gyllenhaal’s best friend and her mother, the screenwriter Naomi Foner. “My mom kept saying: ‘Michelle Obama’s mom is going to the White House with them. It’s fine,’ ” Ms. Gyllenhaal said.

By the time they agreed to do “Uncle Vanya”  it was December, and previews were four weeks away. That left them little time before rehearsal to pore over the nuances of their roles, but both Mr. Sarsgaard and Ms. Gyllenhaal were willing to admit — up to a point, in the presence of a reporter — that they saw certain kinships with their characters.

Like Astrov, Mr. Sarsgaard said, “it is very possible that I could have ended up on 80 acres of land by myself, and fallen in love at a distance with a gorgeous woman I could never have been with.”

Ms. Gyllenhaal, meanwhile, said she could relate to the undulating tides of scrutiny that Yelena endures from other characters. “You have some people saying, ‘You are a gorgeous woman’ in the same breath as ‘Can you please not talk anymore?’ ” She added, “It’s like going on the Internet.”

They are also aware that there will be many theatergoers who come to see “Vanya”  because of them — and happy to use the preconceptions of such spectators to their advantage.

“Those expectations are probably awesome for watching the play,” Mr. Sarsgaard said. “It probably fills in an enormous amount that could be lost, and makes each moment where we might interact seem significant, beyond what it should be.”

Their “Vanya”  co-stars say that by ceding the limelight to the celebrity couple in their ranks, they will be repaid in other ways. “In this economic time there’s a limited amount of people out there wanting to see theater,” Mr. O’Hare said. “What a great boon for us, to have people who have a profile like that, to attract people to come see us.”

There is also the heightened tension imposed by the design of the play: most of the interactions between Astrov and Yelena in Acts I and II are brief, glancing near-misses. It is not until Act III that the two characters truly collide, in a heated scene in which Astrov aggressively confronts Yelena with his romantic feelings for her.

It may be satisfying for the audience to see Ms. Gyllenhaal and Mr. Sarsgaard finally confront each other, but the actors said it was a scene they were still struggling with.

“We have never, ever done this one scene without one of us dropping a line,” Ms. Gyllenhaal said.

“Usually just one of us, though,” Mr. Sarsgaard said, pointing to Ms. Gyllenhaal, who laughed.

“In some ways,” she said, “that scene is about my completely relinquishing control — giving into him completely. And so I do. And sometimes I can’t remember my lines.”

Ultimately, Mr. Pendleton said, there was little instruction he could give the actors in this scene. “I’m not going to tell two people who live together how to work out a physical seduction,” he said. “That’s just ridiculous.”

Whether or not the couple perfect that scene by opening night, Mr. Pendleton said, they had already brought a fresh take to “Uncle Vanya”  with their “infinitely exploratory” acting process, which he explained: “You don’t make decisions until you absolutely have to. You just try everything, well into previews. Because of that I think they’ve inspired the whole group.”

It remains to be seen if performing “Uncle Vanya”  will make them more comfortable with their grade of celebrity status. Ms. Gyllenhaal said she could foresee a time when their desires to protect Ramona’s privacy and lead a more domestic existence would compel them to leave New York. “Both of us crave a quieter lifestyle lately,” she said. “We would probably like to move somewhere greener.”

Then again, Mr. Sarsgaard said, “Maggie thought we were moving to the country when we moved here,” to Park Slope.

Eventually, they say, they could envision themselves acting onstage together again — perhaps in Chekhov’s “Three Sisters,”  playing Masha and Vershinin, another tempestuous literary couple.

But those fantasies will have to wait for several months at least, while Ms. Gyllenhaal dives back into film projects and Mr. Sarsgaard tends to Ramona for a while. (“The tables have been turned,” Mr. Sarsgaard said.)

Should “Uncle Vanya”  merely prove a once-in-a-lifetime, let’s-never-do-that-again occurrence, the two said it had nonetheless been constructive for their relationship.

“I think you call me a genius in the play, right?” Mr. Sarsgaard asked Ms. Gyllenhaal.

“A couple times,” she gamely replied.

“Now that she’s got that straight in her head, we’re cementing it in there,” Mr. Sarsgaard said. “I feel like that will give me another five years of clear sailing.”

AUDIO

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/theater/08itzk.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
                                    Excerpts from
                                     Dave Itzkoff's
                                     interview
                                     with the
                                     couple, who
                                     co-star in a
                                     revival of Chekov's "Uncle Vanya," during lunch at a trattoria near their home in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

'I could have ended up on 80 acres of land'

Ms. Gyllenhaal on choosing the right project

'We are a couple that are acting the play'

Ms. Gyllenhaal on motherhood
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in the next Batman movie!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 07:48:34 pm »

Our Mission

Classic Stage Company is the Off-Broadway theater that re-imagines classics for contemporary American audiences.

CLASSIC STAGE COMPANY is the award-winning Off-Broadway theatre committed to re-imagining the classical repertory for a contemporary American audience. CSC presents plays from the past that speak directly to the issues of today. As we return to works of the past, we endeavor to keep a clear eye on the future, particularly in terms of the next generation of artists and audiences. Classic Stage's artists are the best-established and emerging theater practitioners working in this country.

Classic Stage Company is highly respected and widely regarded as a major force in New York and American theater. Its 180-seat auditorium located near Union Square is at once intimate and spectacular, and is cherished by artists in every aspect of theater as one of the great spaces in New York. Classic Stage productions have been cited repeatedly by all the major Off-Broadway theater awards: Obies, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle, Drama League and 1999 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Body of Work.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 12:28:39 am »

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/encounter/62917/

Encounter
108 Minutes With Maggie Gyllenhaal
At home for the holidays, with lots of delicious gooey cheese, way too many books, and a general sense of nouveau-Brooklyn well-being.

By Jada Yuan
Published Dec 27, 2009

Maggie Gyllenhaal lives on Sesame Street, otherwise known as a Park Slope byway.
The four-story brownstone she shares with husband Peter Sarsgaard and their 3-year-old, Ramona, has emission-free “fireplaces” and an overabundance of couches in the parlor, but the first thing you notice is a pile of well-loved paperbacks waiting to be deposited on the sidewalk. “In Brooklyn—maybe it’s the same in the city—you’re kind of allowed to put things in front of your house, and they’ll always get taken,” she says with such awe it’s hard to believe she moved to New York from L.A. fifteen years ago, at 17.

From upstairs comes the sound of Ramona having a grand time doing toddler things. This is the home that’s teaching Gyllenhaal to be an adult, she explains. She gave birth and closed on the brownstone within the space of two days and learned that “when you have a child, life becomes impossible if you’re not organized. Like, to take the subway with a huge diaper bag full of all sorts of shit is awful.” Same with homeowning. “I had no idea what I was taking on: a brownstone that hadn’t been touched since the seventies. We made huge mistakes. At first, when we got bids on work, we said, ‘Of course we’ll take the cheapest bid.’ Which I would not do anymore at all.”

Work almost sounds like a vacation. She and Ramona romped around Santa Fe and hippie-filled hot springs while filming Crazy Heart,  with Jeff Bridges in an Oscar-baiting role as an alcoholic country-and-western singer and Gyllenhaal as the rookie reporter who falls for him. And they just returned from a four-month shoot in London, where she was playing a harried WWII mother of three opposite Emma Thompson’s magical governess in Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang.

But now Gyllenhaal’s ready for more domestic improvement. She’s already got cooking down, but she’s actually been reading an instruction manual, Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House,  to figure out the rest. “Honestly, I grew up with a mom who was a writer, and her mom was a doctor, and I wasn’t handed down a lot of housekeeping tips.” In a few days, a nervous Gyllenhaal will be having a group of fifteen over for a “ Russ & Daughters Christmas morning”—a compromise between her Jewish upbringing and Sarsgaard’s Catholic one—and she has a mess of shopping to do. So she suggests a trek down snowy concrete to “beautiful” gourmet shop Bklyn Larder.

On the way, Gyllenhaal marvels at the quaint little life she’s managed to carve out in this place she doesn’t really consider to be New York City (as in, “I thought I would have kids in New York City, but I’m glad I’m out of there”). She tells how, after the recent blizzard, everyone got up to shovel, except for the nightclub Southpaw. But she wasn’t mad. “I just thought, Aw, they’re still sleeping.” She raves about her favorite coffee shop, Gorilla, “though they’re a little tough there. One time Peter was like, ‘Do you think we could come over and get 20 to-go cups for a little party?’ I mean, we go there every day. And they were like, ‘Uh, I don’t think so.’ ” A garbage man waves and she waves back. “I mean, you’ve got to thank the garbage man, right?” she says, though she refuses to speculate with me on which of her movies he’s seen. “Our block, it’s like Sesame Street. It really is. There are people who live in one room, and people who own the whole brownstone. There are people of all colors. When we were living in the West Village, there was that whole black-tranny-hooker contingent, which is completely wiped out now. Here, everything converges.”

Picking out her cheese plate at Larder, Gyllenhaal already knows she wants Petit Agour and Stichelton. Vacherin Mont d’Or is too “holiday season; they’re very sophisticated, my friends.” She dislikes a particularly earthy-tasting Pecorino Gregoriano she tries, but decides to get it anyway: “My husband will love that kind of dirty-whore cheese.” In search of something soft and gooey, she calls her mother, screenwriter Naomi Foner. “Hi, I’m doing an interview, but I have a quick question because we’re, like, fake-cheese-shopping in the interview, but I am actually buying cheese. What is that kind you used to buy, with the ceramic dish and the cream, that was so delicious?” The counterman, listening in, says he’ll get in some Saint Marcellin tomorrow for her, and the shopping—fake and real—is finished.

On the way back, I ask Gyllenhaal if she has any lowbrow guilty pleasures. Does she watch reality TV? “No! Do you?” Does she want to see Avatar?  “Peter really wants to go. Oh, I saw Up in the Air l ast night. It was sort of a guilty pleasure. Different from watching an Almodóvar movie.” And later on, she’s getting Sarsgaard to take her to Ikea. “We read a lot of novels, and we have boxes and boxes of books we’ve given away, but we have eight more to sort through, and at this point, I just want them off of the floor. I don’t care if the bookshelves are beautiful.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 02:02:10 am »
Nice article.  Thanks, John!  Now I want some cheese.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 10:52:17 am »
Thanks John!  Anyoe know what a

“ Russ & Daughters Christmas morning”

is?

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: Maggie Gyllenhaal!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 10:44:23 pm »
Manhattan Real-estate woes helped Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard to brooklyn

Nothing bonds New Yorkers like real estate. So, while we can’t even fathom what it must be like to be 32 and own a four-story townhouse in Park Slope, when we visited Maggie Gyllenhaal at her brownstone last week, we could at least (sort of) relate to her tales of the West Village rental she and Peter Sarsgaard had been living in before they fled to Brooklyn. The actress, who’s currently co-starring with Jeff Bridges in the Oscar-bait indie Crazy Heart, says her aunt had been living in a “big, beautiful, raw” loft space on Greenwich Street with her husband and two kids for years, and that Gyllenhaal and Sarsgaard had inherited the right to rent it from her “super-cheaply.” It was on the fourth floor of one of two adjoining walk-ups that had been bought by two artist couples who were dear friends and treated the buildings as a commune. “Then one couple died and part of the ownership went down to their son, who was nuts, and then the other couple gave one of the floors to their daughter’s boyfriend, who then was no longer her boyfriend,” says Gyllenhaal. “It was just never official and all very kind of loose. Which is great — unless it’s not, you know.”

Gyllenhaal isn’t quite sure exactly what happened, but soon the building’s owners started trying to break up each other’s leases, and simultaneously tried to increase Gyllenhaal’s rent astronomically and force them out. “It was this totally strange, like, New York situation where there were five owners of the building who were suing each other and we lived on the only floor that they all owned jointly, and so they were all trying to sue us,” she says. “It was, like, crazy.”

At some point, Gyllenhaal says, she had to mentally check out. “I did just sort of try to say, ‘As long as we’re fine, I don’t want to spend much of my energy thinking about this. Honestly, everybody was telling us, ‘You’re just absolutely going to win. Don’t worry. Just show up at the court date. You’ve done nothing wrong.’ Which is exactly what happened.”

It was an awesome location and an awesome price, but by that point, Gyllenhaal was pregnant, and when she contemplated her future there, it involved more lawsuits and every single day lugging a giant Maclaren stroller up and down four flights of stairs because her lobby was “three feet by three feet” and she couldn’t possibly leave it downstairs. “I always thought I’d raise my kids in Manhattan, but I’m really glad we left,” she says. “We closed on the house two days after she [her daughter Ramona] was born. I remember someone said, ‘Oh, we closed on the house!’ And I was like, ‘Oh great.’ Next to having this 2-day-old baby, I just didn’t care.”

Related: Read Jada's Encounter with Gyllenhaal in this week's New York.

Read more: Manhattan Real-Estate Woes Helped Push Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard to Brooklyn -- Daily Intel http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/12/manhattan_real_estate_woes_hel.html#ixzz0b2egANJV

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 09:56:12 am »
Ellemeno - Russ & Daughters is a catering place/deli in NYC, they have hot appetizers and stuff like that.  I don't know if their food is specificly jewish or not.  She probably meant she is not cooking, they were bringing in food.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »
Now days you can start to wonder what subject the Gyllenhaals are talking about at the dinner tables. Apparantly Maggie Gyllenhaal is shooting a new movie called hysteria, which is about a treatment during the Victorian era called female hysteria. Jake doing Viagra and Maggie this, I wonder what movie the rest of the family will be occupied with, I guess it have something to do with sex.  :o :o

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
Ellemeno - Russ & Daughters is a catering place/deli in NYC, they have hot appetizers and stuff like that.  I don't know if their food is specificly jewish or not.  She probably meant she is not cooking, they were bringing in food.

Thank you, Sammi!  I didn't see this until now many months after asking my questions.  I'm sorry.  Hadn't realized it had been that long since I looked at this thread.

I saw a really interesting movie with Maggie on Netflix streaming recently.  It's called The Great New Wonderful, and I recommend it.  It has a fantastic cast, in a melange of slightly interconnected stories.  Maggie is very good.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 01:16:22 pm »
The real estate situation in such cities just boggles the mind.

Is it any wonder the market is such a stack of cards waiting to fall?

I watched my favorite dream show "International House Hunter" and in the 'looking for a home in Rome, Italy" episode, they couldn't show anyone actually looking to buy a home, because no one could afford one there, they had to showcase someone looking for an apartment to rent and the rent of nice-sized apartments in key areas was upwards of nearly $10,000 per month.  :o :o :o