Author Topic: Brokeback on adaptation shortlist....  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
Brokeback on adaptation shortlist....
« on: April 19, 2006, 01:32:29 pm »
I got this from contact music today:

ENGLISH PATIENT AND CLOCKWORK ORANGE AMONG TOP ADAPTATIONS

Desert romance THE ENGLISH PATIENT, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and gay cowboy epic BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN have been included in a shortlist of the best 50 books to make it to the big screen. The list, compiled by Britain's Book Marketing Society, honours literary classics turned into movie masterpieces and will be voted on by readers online and at UK bookshops. Among the works cited, director STEVEN SPIELBERG is responsible for three: JG BALLARD's EMPIRE OF THE SUN, THOMAS KENEALLY's Holocaust drama SCHINDLER'S ARK (filmed as SCHINDLER'S LIST), and JAWS, written by PETER BENCHLEY. Meanwhile, movie re-workings of MICHAEL ONDAATJE's The English Patient, ANTHONY BURGESS' A Clockwork Orange, and KEN KESEY's ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST have garnered 14 Oscars and another 11 Academy Award nominations. GOODFELLAS, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, GET SHORTY, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO and FIGHT CLUB also make the shortlist.

Is this good news or what?

ps. I am sorry if it has already been posted.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Brokeback on adaptation shortlist....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:04:24 pm »
thanks for that, Becky! It was interesting!

The only one I disagree with is "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" it was a brilliant movie but the book is in a whole other league, IMO.  The book is told from Chief Bromden's point of view and the loss of this in the movie just wrecks it for me.  I love the movie for being a great movie, but thinking of it as an adaptation always ruins it for me...  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 02:06:46 pm »
by the way, have I ever told you I love your signature line? It is so beautiful!  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 02:15:58 pm »
So Becky you going to vote on-line?

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 03:52:33 pm »
Vote for what where? ??? I am a slow thinker so you will have to say that slow and with directions. :laugh:

Thanks Mandy ;) I got it from my screenplay. When I read it, it just made me cry and I was like(not to sound too dodgy teenage film) "That is soo Brokeback", there were loads of Annie ones that I liked, but this one just summed BBM up for me. Mr Larry McMurtry, you do astound me. ::) I love yours too, where is that from?
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 04:13:12 pm »
The Brits get it right again - first the BAFTAs, now this.  Thanks for posting Becky!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:15:25 pm »
The Brits have always had better taste in film IMO! 

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 04:20:17 pm »
Yeah we do! LOL ;)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 04:22:14 pm »
Yeah we do! LOL ;)
::)

Although I still can't get over that whole Shakespeare in Love thing back in 98.........ya'll must have been havin an off year or something!  LOL JK

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 04:49:19 pm »
Yeah we do! LOL ;)
::)

Although I still can't get over that whole Shakespeare in Love thing back in 98.........ya'll must have been havin an off year or something!  LOL JK

Yeah well I technically wasn't involved in that as I was only eight at the time. But since I have come along and had a big influence on cinema everything has gone right. It is all down to me, you see! ::) :laugh:

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 04:55:54 pm »
ROFL  :laugh: