Author Topic: Another Viewing... Starting to Zone Out & Reminded Of Other Things In My Past  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
That is so true for me too. Since BBM I still have not been able to watch a single other movie, and I can hardly watch any tv show.  I would like to watch movies, but I can't.  I tried to watch a movie I used to like a few weeks ago, Lost In Translation, and all I was thinking is how incredibly it pales in comparison to BBM.

I don't understand it, but I am afraid that nothing could ever affect me like BBM, and in a way that makes me sad. It makes me sad to think that there probably will never be anything else like it all.

Not that there ever could be another BBM.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
That is so true for me too. Since BBM I still have not been able to watch a single other movie, and I can hardly watch any tv show.  I would like to watch movies, but I can't.  I tried to watch a movie I used to like a few weeks ago, Lost In Translation, and all I was thinking is how incredibly it pales in comparison to BBM.

I don't understand it, but I am afraid that nothing could ever affect me like BBM, and in a way that makes me sad. It makes me sad to think that there probably will never be anything else like it all.

Not that there ever could be another BBM.

And that last sentence says a lot to me and it's depressing to think that it could be years, if not decades, before another movie can affect me like this one did.  I haven't been watching many movies either, and certainly not paying $9 to see one in a theater.  Part of the reason is that most of the movies out there are terrible, and also because I share a lack of interest in the usual stuff they shovel our way.  Like I want to see 300 or whatever it is.  :)

Of course, anything resembling a western or serious love story/conflict only results in me comparing it against BBM.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
The 300 was brilliant in that it was as true an adaptation as possible from the graphic novel with the same name by Frank Miller. I immensely enjoy Miller's sense of gothic realism and even if some of his works tend to be deconstructionist in the long run, they're often good for a fresh look at one's own life, simply through comparison.  Just my cent.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I tried to watch a movie I used to like a few weeks ago, Lost In Translation, and all I was thinking is how incredibly it pales in comparison to BBM.

This is interesting that you happened to mention Lost in Translation.  I really like that movie too and only saw it once in the theater way-back-when.  So, here's the wacky thing... I put it on my Christmas list this year (actually hoping to snap myself out of my no-other-movie-is-as-good-as-BBM phase) and received it as a gift (  :D ).  But, I haven't even opened the shrink wrap yet (and I guess it's mid-March now).   :o :-\  It's not that I don't like having this movie.  I just really don't feel like sitting through another film still.  Very, very odd for me.  This coming from a girl who TA-ed for two different film classes in grad school.  :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

I experienced that for a while, that lack of interest in all other movies and the constant thought, when I did see other movies, that they didn't measure up to BBM. The first post-Brokeback movie I saw was The Squid and the Whale, and I spent the whole time thinking how the symbolism was so obvious, and the motivations were all so spelled out, and the characters were so two-dimensional, and the emotions were so uncompelling, and so on. And that was actually a pretty decent subtle character-driven indie film!

But I probably snapped out of that last spring. I had to, because movies, particularly in the theater, are an important means of escape for me (the other one being this board!  ;D). The turning point, BTW, was Thank You for Smoking -- probably because it was SO unlike BBM that any sort of comparison would have been absurd.

Of course, no other movie comes anywhere close. Brokeback occupies the first 10 spaces on my favorite movies list. And to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure what No. 11 would be.

But I have favorite foods, too, and that doesn't mean I can't enjoy anything else but those. Same with books and music and everything else. At some point I started telling myself that, sure, whatever movie I was about to see wouldn't be as good as BBM, but it didn't have to be. I could just take it on its own limited terms, as a way to be entertained for a couple of hours. So since then, I've seen a number of movies I have liked a lot. None of them will displace BBM in the top 10 -- most wouldn't even make the top 50, but I had fun watching them anyway.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
The 300 was brilliant in that it was as true an adaptation as possible from the graphic novel with the same name by Frank Miller. I immensely enjoy Miller's sense of gothic realism and even if some of his works tend to be deconstructionist in the long run, they're often good for a fresh look at one's own life, simply through comparison.  Just my cent.
The 300 was interesting but not nearly as good as Hero, another movie about warriors, in my opinion.

"chewing gum and duct tape"