Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165061 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2008, 11:41:05 pm »
Thanks Fran!

I remember your quote now:
Don't never order soup.  Them boxes a soup are real bad to pack."

So this is a mystery that we have NOT solved yet? Like you and other say, like brokeplex too:
 Ranger I think that Aguirre's employee is warning Ennis about the size of the bulk of the soup boxes, I am assuming that the soup would be dehydrated soup packaged  into boxes. There could be deeper meaning to the word "soup", I know I have heard certain bodily excretions referred to as "soup". and the word "packing" can also mean something within a sexual context as well.  any thoughts?  

Wow, wow?? I heard something about soup too... when I used to work as pastry chef with men drilling for oil... but I can NOT remember!

So the mystery continues for now... and who will solve it?? Any more clues??
hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:59 pm »
Well, I am at a loss here, but this line of thought is very interesting and seems to offer some answers where I never found any before!

Ranger , I didn't mean to shock you, but if we are to feel free to look at the film as having symbolic meanings in the images and words, then the "packing them soup boxes" can take on a very different meaning.

another little flow of my consciousness, I always thought that when Jack was on the mountain the year before that he was not always on the mountain alone, that maybe he had the company of the man who delivered Ennis's and Jack's groceries at the bridge. maybe then his words to Ennis were a bit of a warning or perhaps he was letting him know "how it goes" up on the mountain when you are lonely. just a thought.

:)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:30 am »
Wow, brokeplex, you sure made me smile:
I always thought that when Jack was on the mountain the year before that he was not always on the mountain alone, 
<

Does Jack ever mention OTHER were there the year BEFORE??

Coming back to soup, would that NOT be so liquid as to give THEM Ennis and Jack trouble(s), go to the washroom more quickly??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2008, 12:19:48 am »
Wow, brokeplex, you sure made me smile:<

Does Jack ever mention OTHER were there the year BEFORE??

Coming back to soup, would that NOT be so liquid as to give THEM Ennis and Jack trouble(s), go to the washroom more quickly??

Hugs!

he mentions that he looked after Aguirre's sheep the year before and Aguirre expresses his disappointment in his losses that year. does he mention a companion, no not to my knowledge.

there is no washroom in the tent to wash up afterwards, you just have to grin and bear it, so to speak.   ;D

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2008, 02:25:38 am »
okay...not sure if this has already been posted, but here's one i noticed.
when they shot the moose/elk, they used a .30-30, which is unlikely to kill an elk in one shot.  a .30-30 was suitable for cyotees, which was it's purpose for the boys to carry, but elks are huge and have thick hydes, so, i highly doubt this calliber would've done the job.......especially with just one round. also, when they shot the elk, the back-end of the elk dropped, which wouldnt've happened, as you shoot for the neck or heart...not the rear legs, or anything behind the shoulder.  if they had shot the elk back there, a lot of meat would've been ruined, and it would've been a huge mess to carve out....and, you certainly wouldn't take a chance in rupturing any of the G.I. tract, which would've spoiled all of the meat.
if they wanted to make it more believable, they should've had the elk's front-end go down first.  in fact, i wonder how they did that scene, and got the elk to sway in the first place.  i guess a tranquillizer huh?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:56:57 am by forsythia12 »

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:28 am »
Gee, Leigh-ann, you certainly know a lot about shooting elk.  ??? ???  lol

I dont think seeing the poor animals head blown off, would have been too good to see.

And getting back to what they fed the dogs with, I guess, the dogs got the elk scraps.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:36 am »
Gee, Leigh-ann, you certainly know a lot about shooting elk.  ??? ???  lol

I dont think seeing the poor animals head blown off, would have been too good to see.

And getting back to what they fed the dogs with, I guess, the dogs got the elk scraps.

lol.
no, i don't think it's head being blown off would've been good, or correct either.  i just meant that since we're picking at all the little mistakes, i just noticed this.  i don't hunt, but around here, everyone does, so you learn a thing or two.  also, i shoot targets, so i know a little bit about guns.
if they wanted to make it better, i just think they should've dropped the elk on it's front, or just not shown it at all, and i think they should've taken a couple shots.
it may sound picky, but everything on this blog does....and i thought the elk shoot was much more noticeable than some of the other things...(ie.  i don't know anything about aluminum frames on barns, and what year they came about) lol
but yes, i hear ya katie77.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:33 am »
When I was young, father got unfortunately some bad cheques from some customers and since times were hard and with a big family too (11 of us), I had to go moose hunting with dad and my younger brother, since we nearly starved at times (with just bread and lard, and if we added sugar on that bread, that was a luxury). And we did use 30. 30, if I remember correctly. Most times!! It does damage less the meat or nearly not at all!

Never did more than one bullet, one did into any moose!!

You knew how to aim properly and respect the animal as much as possible.

(Of course, there are some bad hunters who do not respect life, same thing when they murder or kill a human!!)

The elk scene was done on a reservation of elks. There are some information about that! Did you see it?

Hugs! Note: that I would never kill any animal anymore, even if I was starving!! ONLY in self defense, would I protect myself!!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2008, 01:05:02 pm »
When I was young, father got unfortunately some bad cheques from some customers and since times were hard and with a big family too (11 of us), I had to go moose hunting with dad and my younger brother, since we nearly starved at times (with just bread and lard, and if we added sugar on that bread, that was a luxury). And we did use 30. 30, if I remember correctly. Most times!! It does damage less the meat or nearly not at all!

Never did more than one bullet, one did into any moose!!

You knew how to aim properly and respect the animal as much as possible.

(Of course, there are some bad hunters who do not respect life, same thing when they murder or kill a human!!)

The elk scene was done on a reservation of elks. There are some information about that! Did you see it?

Hugs! Note: that I would never kill any animal anymore, even if I was starving!! ONLY in self defense, would I protect myself!!

wow artiste....that's interesting.  thanks for the post.
perhaps you are right, and of course one bullet should do it, if you're a proper hunter, and get it right the first time.  my point only is that if it had been shot where it was in the movie, that's when the meat would've spoiled because you don't shoot behind the shoulder, and in this case, they probably did because the animal's back-end dropped first.  no, i don't think they should've really fired a million rounds into the thing, i just think where the animal dropped  is very flawed.  we are talking about mistakes in production, and this is just one i happened to notice...and it's an accurate observation.  i didn't mean that i wanted to see the animal blown up...and in fact, i think they should've left the actual shot out of the movie because in reality, they couldn't make it fall properly....which would've been full front down firt, then back end.  they most likely used a tranquillizer, and to do that, you shoot in the hind, or butt; thus, making the animal's back legs 'give out'.  so, the hunting scene was a little far fetched.
and as far as the .30-30, it is not the prefered choice of ammunition for big game.  yes, it would've done the job in a pinch, like jack and ennis were in, but, the shot would've had to been perfect, and as i pointed out, the shot was not in the right place.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2008, 01:19:33 pm »
Ranger , I didn't mean to shock you, but if we are to feel free to look at the film as having symbolic meanings in the images and words, then the "packing them soup boxes" can take on a very different meaning.
hehe, no you didn't shock me...after all, I did play the Clear Slick in the Performance Thread! I was "at a loss" because you asked, "any thoughts" and I didn't have any at first! But now I have one...I remember where the soup was discussed before on imdb and we have preserved the discussion here. I will have to review this and think about it some more because I still don't think we have gotten to the bottom (sorry!) of this discussion!
I always thought that when Jack was on the mountain the year before that he was not always on the mountain alone, that maybe he had the company of the man who delivered Ennis's and Jack's groceries at the bridge. maybe then his words to Ennis were a bit of a warning or perhaps he was letting him know "how it goes" up on the mountain when you are lonely. just a thought.
Yes, that is quite plausible, plex. Jack musta had SOMEBODY with him or checking on him, it's clear Aguirre didn't think enuff of his capabilities to leave him alone with 1,000 sheep for an entire summer! And things did get intense at least at one point because there was 25% loss that summer, lightning struck, etc. The Basque woulda known all about that but he would not have wanted to pass it along to Ennis, so he did either subconsciously or in metaphor. Good points!
"chewing gum and duct tape"