Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165548 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 01:46:45 pm »
From the first viewing I started picking up on things I didn't think were quite right, starting with the semi that dumps Ennis in Signal, I thought it didn't seem period, but after numerous viewings I am used to it now.

Jack's use of the word Asphyxiate always seems out of place, as does "commuting" 4 hours a day.

But my favorite is Uncle Harold's disappearing stick of wood off the chopping block.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 02:10:01 pm »
But my favorite is Uncle Harold's disappearing stick of wood off the chopping block.

That one gets to me too!   ;)
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 02:20:25 pm »
Ellemeno told me about the dissapearing church steeple at Aguirre's office, but I tend to think that was more of a camera angle phenomena

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:31 pm »
From the first viewing I started picking up on things I didn't think were quite right, starting with the semi that dumps Ennis in Signal, I thought it didn't seem period, but after numerous viewings I am used to it now.

Jack's use of the word Asphyxiate always seems out of place, as does "commuting" 4 hours a day.

You are right its not a period truck. I also noticed in the 1980s scenes you rarely see a car its mostly much older than period pickups. All the cars and trucks seem to be from the 60s even in the 80s!! I  have worked with both makeup people on this movie a Boyfriend and girlfriend couple team Manlio and Linda, I was shocked that I thought the makeup looked bad to me. They usually do great work. Some scenes Jake G looked like a Raccoon with big dark rings around his eyes almost like he had a darkish eye shadow on him im not sure if it was intentional or not but to me it didnt look right.  I also noticed a very heavy base makeup on Heaths face his near his right  eye area almost like a heavy covering to hide some sort of skin flaw. I think it looked awful. Sorry Manlio  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 02:32:29 pm »
I thought the makeup was reasonably convincing. Trying to turn hot 26-year-olds into middle-aged men could not have been easy (though probably easier than the other way around would be ;D). But between the makeup and Jake and Heath's capturing older mannerisms, I can go with it.

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:49 pm »
I thought the makeup was reasonably convincing. Trying to turn hot 26-year-olds into middle-aged men could not have been easy (though probably easier than the other way around would be ;D). But between the makeup and Jake and Heath's capturing older mannerisms, I can go with it.

You know they filmed the movie in reverse the big sideburn shots were done first I'm told they they cut them off for the earlier shots.  What disappearing stick is everyone talking about?

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 02:57:23 pm »
What disappearing stick is everyone talking about?

Jack's been chopping firewood when Joe Aquirre rides up.  He leaves a small log on the tree trunk that he was going to chop.   When Aquirre leaves the small log is gone.   (I think one of the coyotes with the balls the size of apples carted it off somewhere when nobody was lookiing...)

peace ;)
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 03:01:54 pm »
I remember back in the early days on the yahoo movie board there was a discussion about weather of not Jack had been infected with HIV in Mexico because of his makeup.

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 03:18:40 pm »
OMG I never noticed that log before thats a bad mistake. That falls in the hands of the script supervisor and Ang Lee.  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 03:25:13 pm »

I could buy "asphyxiate" as Jack trying to show off, but "commuting" never did sound quite right to me for country-raised kid in 1963.

I've seen the church steeple phenomenon described as "moving" rather than "disappearing," but that's definitely a camera-angle thing.

I never noticed the stick of firewood.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.