Author Topic: How would you describe Jack's and Ennis' sexuality?  (Read 12185 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How would you describe Jack's and Ennis' sexuality?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 12:23:38 am »
So, I'm going to re-open an old topic.  Would Ennis have been capable of describing himself as "queer" by the bus stop/ pie scene?  I mean in his heart of hearts (not out loud to anyone else)?

??? ;D ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 08:59:02 am »
So, I'm going to re-open an old topic.  Would Ennis have been capable of describing himself as "queer" by the bus stop/ pie scene?  I mean in his heart of hearts (not out loud to anyone else)?

??? ;D ;)

This doesn't answer your question, but if he did, that could be one factor in the deep unhappiness we see on his face after the conversation with Cassie.  :-\  That is, he could be admitting or acknowledging it to himself without necessarily accepting it or "being OK with it" about himself.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 09:07:01 am »

??? ;D ;)

I think he could have (theoretically) done this two seconds after he said "I ain't queer ya know."  Ennis was not stupid, he was a very naturally intelligent man, albeit uneducated, and ignorant to a lot of things, but he was far more in touch with his own personal reality than people realize.

Ennis was one of those "knower of truth" individuals.  He instinctively knew not only his own personal truth (which he would never reveal), but knew the truths of others without the need of a lot of talking.  I think that is what I find most tragic in this character.  The loss of potential.  His potential was indeed great.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:38:53 am by Scott »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 09:36:48 am »
I think he could have (theoretically) done this two seconds after he said "I ain't queer ya know."  Ennis was not stupid, he was a very naturally intelligent man, albeit uneducated, and ignorant to a lot of things, but he was far more in touch with his own personal reality than people realize.

Ennis was one of those "knower of truth" individuals.  He instinctively knew not only his own personal truth (which he would never reveal), but knew the truths of others without the need of a lot of talking.  I think that is what I find most tragic in this character.  The loss of potential.  His potential was indeed a great.

I agree with Scott here. In fact, I think it is shown in two specific moments. The scene right after the Thanksgiving scene, when they are at the lakeside, Ennis asks Jack if he ever gets the feeling that people look at him as if they knew he's queer. Jack gets mad at him and suggests him to get out of Riverton. To Texas maybe?

The second moment is when they have the last fight. Ennis says he knows what is in Mexico for boys like Jack. IMO those two moment somehow illustrates that Ennis besides being in denial, deep down knew who he was. That's the reason why he kept fighting with himself, because he didn't want to be gay eventhough he knew very well who he was and couldn't help being in love with a man.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:11:51 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:26 am »
he was far more in touch with his own personal reality than people realize.

I agree with Scott and Natali. I think he knew all along --even before he met Jack -- but was in deep denial. Once he and Jack started their relationship, he had to deal with it more directly, but he kept his oppositional beliefs in separate mental compartments. On the one hand, he knew that he was gay. On the other, he thought homosexuality was bad. Somehow, he managed to juggle this cognitive dissonance for 20 years.

Scott6373

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 10:15:34 am »
I agree with Scott and Natali. I think he knew all along --even before he met Jack -- but was in deep denial. Once he and Jack started their relationship, he had to deal with it more directly, but he kept his oppositional beliefs in separate mental compartments. On the one hand, he knew that he was gay. On the other, he thought homosexuality was bad. Somehow, he managed to juggle this cognitive dissonance for 20 years.

We all juggle cd in one way or another.  His story, while eloquent and moving, is not so strange.  I tend to think of cd as socially imposed ethics and morality as opposed to persoanl ethics and morality.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 10:20:38 am »
We all juggle cd in one way or another.  His story, while eloquent and moving, is not so strange.  I tend to think of cd as socially imposed ethics and morality as opposed to persoanl ethics and morality.

Good distinction!  :)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 10:23:11 am »

??? Pardon my ignorance here, but what is cd? What do you mean by it?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Scott6373

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 10:25:50 am »
??? Pardon my ignorance here, but what is cd? What do you mean by it?

Cognitive dissonance was too long for me to type and with my passion for typos, I though "cd" was better...LOL

Offline opinionista

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:37 am »
Cognitive dissonance was too long for me to type and with my passion for typos, I though "cd" was better...LOL

Oh! LOL I was thinking of an actual CD ROM when I saw that. But I knew it was something else, but still LOL Thanks!